Housemate with TB

[quote]Andy63477 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible in the US to call cops or whatever on such highly contagious people, so that they get locked up and treated until they can’t infect other people anymore? In Germany there is probably a rule, that requires you to get treated if necessary.

To the Op: Kill it with fire! But you might be already infected… I would check it, after you’re out of that mess.[/quote]

Not sure about that. I do know that in this country unwanted medical treatment, whether it be from an EMT or being kept on life support against someone’s wishes constitutes a battery. So I would suspect that it’s actually illegal to force him to take his medicine or force him into some sort of medical treatment against his will.

As far as the threat he represents to his roommate, I would suspect that the law would probably be on the side of the TB patient, if anything. After all, the OP can simply move, which he should have done the second he found out his roommate had tuberfuckinglosis. Don’t quote me on that though. The first paragraph is definitely true though. It was ruled as such in a landmark Supreme Court case back in the early 90’s (Cruzan v. Missouri).

[quote]imhungry wrote:
“My room mate has AIDS and is a cutter… what should I do?”[/quote]

Hook a brotha up? That AIDS blood is what’s hot right now on the vampire streets. Its so morbid…like drinking death

And

Intermittent fasting will fix them right up AND give them abs.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Andy63477 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible in the US to call cops or whatever on such highly contagious people, so that they get locked up and treated until they can’t infect other people anymore? In Germany there is probably a rule, that requires you to get treated if necessary.

To the Op: Kill it with fire! But you might be already infected… I would check it, after you’re out of that mess.[/quote]

Not sure about that. I do know that in this country unwanted medical treatment, whether it be from an EMT or being kept on life support against someone’s wishes constitutes a battery. So I would suspect that it’s actually illegal to force him to take his medicine or force him into some sort of medical treatment against his will.

As far as the threat he represents to his roommate, I would suspect that the law would probably be on the side of the TB patient, if anything. After all, the OP can simply move, which he should have done the second he found out his roommate had tuberfuckinglosis. Don’t quote me on that though. The first paragraph is definitely true though. It was ruled as such in a landmark Supreme Court case back in the early 90’s (Cruzan v. Missouri).[/quote]

I don’t think that’s the case with TB as it is an infectious disease.

[quote]Three fundamental interests support a stateâ??s use of compulsory examination or treatment in cases involving TB disease: (1) preserving an individualâ??s own health or life; (2) preventing harm to others; and (3) avoiding the possible development of drug resistance (especially related to MDR TB and XDR TB).45

In one state, for example, it appears that the State Board of Health may petition a probate court to order commitment of a non-adherent individual with TB disease for compulsory treatment.65 Even in such instances, forcible administration of examinations or treatments may not be permissible. If a patient refuses treatment, he/she may be ordered by a court to remain isolated until no longer considered a threat to public health.65[/quote]

“Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.” - Jack Handey

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Before I forget has he tried a gluten free diet?
[/quote]
Serious lulz

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Before I forget has he tried a gluten free diet?
[/quote]
Serious lulz[/quote]

Word to your mother.

Try foam rolling? Shit cures everything.

[quote]lnname wrote:
The guy doesn’t take the drugs that reduce the risk of infecting other people, and doesn’t cover his mouth when he coughs in communal areas.

he is moving out in the next few months.

How would you deal with a person like this in the interim

[/quote]

You can have these folks “civilly committed” to force them to take their meds.

Call your local health dept. They are not shy about locking assholes like this up.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]lnname wrote:
The guy doesn’t take the drugs that reduce the risk of infecting other people, and doesn’t cover his mouth when he coughs in communal areas.

[/quote]

Call your local health dept. They are not shy about locking assholes like this up.[/quote]

Seriously call the health dept ASAP. Im pretty sure its completely illegal to knowingly and willingly putting other people in danger of a communicable disease. Dont know this for certain though. Not just you, every person he sees every day. GTFO and call the health dept/local PD (not 911 tho please)

[quote]Ulty wrote:
“Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.” - Jack Handey[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]lnname wrote:

[/quote]

Call your local health dept. They are not shy about locking assholes like this up.[/quote]

Seriously call the health dept ASAP. Im pretty sure its completely illegal to knowingly and willingly putting other people in danger of a communicable disease. Dont know this for certain though. Not just you, every person he sees every day. GTFO and call the health dept/local PD (not 911 tho please)
[/quote]

Hate to say this but, they won’t do anything.

Can’t make them take meds, can’t make them go to the Dr. Unless they are really sick (as in unconcious) you can’t make a person go to the hosp unless they are being sent in on a mental health hold.

Personal esperience on this, having to deal with patients with TB, MRSA, bedbug infested apartments and hoarder shitholes with animal feces covering the floor.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]lnname wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can’t make them take meds, can’t make them go to the Dr. Unless they are really sick (as in unconcious) you can’t make a person go to the hosp unless they are being sent in on a mental health hold.

Personal esperience on this, having to deal with patients with TB, MRSA, bedbug infested apartments and hoarder shitholes with animal feces covering the floor.[/quote]

True but he can make the guy get evicted from his residence if he has a communicable disease. Unless the OP is not the renter then he has to go.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]lnname wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Personal esperience on this, having to deal with patients with TB, MRSA, bedbug infested apartments and hoarder shitholes with animal feces covering the floor.[/quote]

True but he can make the guy get evicted from his residence if he has a communicable disease. Unless the OP is not the renter then he has to go.[/quote]

Very true, if he is the sole lease holder he can send the guy packing. Which should have happened the minute the guy stated he had TB and refused meds.

Um…

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/tuberculsis-patient-jailed-charged-california-16360920#.T7QzKFLOv6Q

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Um…

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/tuberculsis-patient-jailed-charged-california-16360920#.T7QzKFLOv6Q[/quote]

What a piece of shit.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]lnname wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

True but he can make the guy get evicted from his residence if he has a communicable disease. Unless the OP is not the renter then he has to go.[/quote]

Very true, if he is the sole lease holder he can send the guy packing. Which should have happened the minute the guy stated he had TB and refused meds.[/quote]

I see what youre saying but with the right wording this becomes a psych pt. person refusing to care for themselves, endangering others, becomes a risk to self/ others

Just came across this article and thought it was interesting

http://www.news9.com/story/18468232/tb-patient-charged-in-calif-for-not-taking-meds

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Armando Rodriguez was warned several times to continue taking his tuberculosis medicine.

At one point, authorities said, he told his case officer he stopped the treatment out of concern for his liver while binging on alcohol and methamphetamine.

So on Tuesday, authorities took the unusual step of arresting Rodriguez and charging him with refusing to comply with a tuberculosis order to be at home at certain times and make appointments to take his medication.

It’s a move that divides public health officials.

Have you been tested recently to see if you have TB? Even if you do not have any symptoms you could have a latent form of the disease and you could develop symptoms later. It is a fairly common disease too, I read somewhere that somewhere between 5 and 10% of people in America have it. Also, the vaccine is not 100% effective. As for your housemate, check with health officials or even the police. If he knows that he has a deadly and highly infectious disease like TB and is not taking adequate precautions to prevent himself from spreading that disease to others, then he is a public health risk and actions can be taken to prevent him from harming others. Typhoid Mary was forcibly quarantined for most of her life because she did not take adequate precautions to prevent herself from spreading her disease. Depending on your local laws, it may be an actual criminal matter or a matter for your local health services department is. Talk to someone like a doctor or health professional that deals with infectious disease, they will be better able to steer you in the right direction. You could even contact the CDC if you are in the US.

No. Please just NO. What are you waitng for dude??? GTFO WHILE YOU STILL CAN