House Fight: On Ultimate Fighter

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Anyways, that first round was awesome and it was probably the best fight I’ve seen on TUF. Incredible ground work from both of them, the elbow sucked but what are you going to do. I’m sure we will see them go at it again in the future.[/quote]

That was a good fight until that elbow.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Jack_Dempsey wrote:
Instead of Dana getting face time on air to wave his dick and give his “this is not the fucking image we’re fucking trying to fucking convey here” speech, why not just edit it out and not show it at all?

I agree with your general point, but I am not sure Dana has veto power over the editors &/or the SpikeTV executives.

An in-house fight is the holy grail of reality TV programming. I’m sure the folks at SpikeTV would have pitched a fit if Dana tried to bury this footage. [/quote]

You may be right, but Dana has done a lot of things (kicked fighters out of the house on a whim, etc) and I don’t recall him ever being overruled by the higher-ups at Spike.

The UFC is Spike’s meal ticket. If the brass at SpikeTv weren’t bending over backwards trying to soothe Dana’s overinflated ego, I think they would have vetoed the ridiculous documentary on his “training” leading up to his non-fight with Tito Ortiz.

[quote]derek wrote:
There’s two things about the fight that don’t make any sense (or do they?).

1. The “street” fighting at the house was embarrasing, brutish, disgusting etc. It’s the kind of thing that the UFC is trying so hard to get away from. It’s exactly what makes this type of sport unappealing to the public. It could untimately hold back the growth of the industry etc. etc.

2. That “fight” was the most hyped part of the entire season (all of them). If Spike or Dana White REALLY thought this was “bad for business” and potentially damaging to the legitimacy of the sport, it would never have been aired.

The truth is that that kind of thing would help ratings, not hurt them. Despite what the higher-ups say, they realize and act upon what they know is true. Controversy sells. The whole issue is so transparent that’s it’s laughable.

I say put the gladiators in the house. If they fight, they fight. They are FIGHTERS for God’s sake. They also have a video camera up thier asses 24/7.

I hated the whole “keep it in the ring” gentleman crap. Warriors are warriors, period. Not just when someone tells thm it’s OK.[/quote]
warriors may be warriors, but athletes are athletes. the UFC fighters are athletes.

if we were talking about warriors, we would be having pit fights ending in death with no rules at all.

Does anyone know where I can find the vids to last nights fight, not the street fight but the actually mma fights.

[quote]Jack_Dempsey wrote:

You may be right, but Dana has done a lot of things (kicked fighters out of the house on a whim, etc) and I don’t recall him ever being overruled by the higher-ups at Spike.

[/quote]

SpikeTV vetoed the main event at UFN 8.

Dana originally had Marquardt-Lister headlining the event, hoping to build up Nate Marquardt as the next logical contender to challenge Anderson Silva for the MW belt. Unfortunately, the folks at SpikeTV still had painful memories of the snoozefest he put on at UFN 1 versus Ivan Salaverry and told Dana to find another main event.

That’s how Evans-Salmon ended up headlining the card. Then Spike took it one step further, insisting that O’Brien-Herring was put on the main card so that they could play up the Nakao kiss incident, and they ended up bumping Marquardt-Lister off of the main card entirely.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

warriors may be warriors, but athletes are athletes. the UFC fighters are athletes.

if we were talking about warriors, we would be having pit fights ending in death with no rules at all.

[/quote]

Then why have them basically locked up in a house with no supervision having already divided them into two camps pitting them against each other?

Imagine if Tyson and Holyfield lived in the same house for months?

You don’t cage animals that fight each other together and not expect this to happen. To give them the boot for doing the very thing that was designed to happen is asinine to say the least.

[quote]derek wrote:
texasguy wrote:

Then why have them basically locked up in a house with no supervision having already divided them into two camps pitting them against each other?

You don’t cage animals that fight each other together and not expect this to happen. To give them the boot for doing the very thing that was designed to happen is asinine to say the least.[/quote]

caged animals will fight. but we are humans. though we are technically animals, we have a much greater sense of reason than other animals.

athletes compete in good sportsmanship regardless of the sport.

you wouldn’t proffessional golfers and tennis players to sucker punch each other and slam heads on concrete.

just because mma fighters fight for competition doesn’t mean they should be able to run around like dipshits on the UFC’s watch, especially not while they are being put in front of a general audience as representatives of the sport and leauge. competitive fighting and back yard brawls are two different things.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

caged animals will fight. but we are humans. though we are technically animals, we have a much greater sense of reason than other animals.

you wouldn’t proffessional golfers and tennis players to sucker punch each other and slam heads on concrete.

just because mma fighters fight for competition doesn’t mean they should be able to run around like dipshits on the UFC’s watch, especially not while they are being put in front of a general audience as representatives of the sport and leauge. competitive fighting and back yard brawls are two different things.

[/quote]

I totally see what you’re saying. I just think you can’t take the “fighter” out of humans, let alone humans that live, eat and breathe fighting.

I think man has come a long way toward civility but sometimes there’s just no place for it.

And like I said, putting them together like that is litterally asking for trouble. Acting disgusted by what ensues is disingenuous to say the least.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

[/quote]

True, you’d expect them to maybe play golf or tennis. But if you put some loudmouth in there with them constantly talking shit and claiming some (unverifiable) feat equivalent to what Marlon kept coming out with they’d get pissed off.

Even more so when after one of them had handed his ass to him at the sport in question he continues to talk crap and still make out he’s better than them.

As much as we’d like to believe that all mma fighters are disciplined athletes, and many are particularly when you look at high level competition, there are plenty of guys who do it that are just aggressive guys who like to fight.

If you look at the fighters they selected this season you can see that there are guys in there that got there for qualities that reality producers want, not for their fighting skills.

[quote]derek wrote:
texasguy wrote:

I totally see what you’re saying. I just think you can’t take the “fighter” out of humans, let alone humans that live, eat and breathe fighting.

I think man has come a long way toward civility but sometimes there’s just no place for it.

And like I said, putting them together like that is litterally asking for trouble. Acting disgusted by what ensues is disingenuous to say the least.

[/quote]

i also see what you are saying. but i think they had the power of choice and chose not to use it.

they were representatives of the UFC at the time and should have been professional.

they made their choice knowing the consequences (as was obvious from their commentary) and are now facing the music.

was it gruff the crime dog who said “don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.” ?

pitting fighters together under one roof will create tension, but asking them to reason and be responsible isn’t asking too much.

“bound to happen” is only as accurate as the individuals lack of self will.

reason trumps emotion every time you let it, and if you can’t control yourself, remove yourself from the situation or some one else will whether it’s the law, your boss or in the fighters case dana white.

[quote]andymkb wrote:
texasguy wrote:

True, you’d expect them to maybe play golf or tennis. But if you put some loudmouth in there with them constantly talking shit and claiming some (unverifiable) feat equivalent to what Marlon kept coming out with they’d get pissed off.

Even more so when after one of them had handed his ass to him at the sport in question he continues to talk crap and still make out he’s better than them.

As much as we’d like to believe that all mma fighters are disciplined athletes, and many are particularly when you look at high level competition, there are plenty of guys who do it that are just aggressive guys who like to fight.

If you look at the fighters they selected this season you can see that there are guys in there that got there for qualities that reality producers want, not for their fighting skills. [/quote]

i can go with you on a publicity stunt conspiricy, but as far as treating the fighters like animals with no sense of reason i disagree.

they knew what they were doing and even mentioned the fact they would be booted a number of times.

their lack of self control was their problem and the UFC shouldn’t have to take their dirt.

they got what they deserved.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

their lack of self control was their problem and the UFC shouldn’t have to take their dirt.

they got what they deserved. [/quote]

I agree with you on that, they definitely brought it on themselves and should have known better. I just think that with some of the individuals they pick for the show and the atmosphere they create it was always going to be a matter of when rather than if something like this was going to occur.

[quote]derek wrote:
quote]

I would definitely tune in for that.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
derek wrote:
quote]

I would definitely tune in for that.[/quote]

“My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It’s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.”

?I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain.?

This guy was too much!

I have gotten to the point of losing total interest of this program… is has become an ulter disappointment and more of a lame show. I mean it is like watching a bunch of little kids interact at a playground… the fights have become boring and very unentertaining… I find myself yawning before the program is over… the show has lost it’s appeal as far as I am concerned

[quote]andymkb wrote:
texasguy wrote:

they got what they deserved.

I agree with you on that, they definitely brought it on themselves and should have known better. I just think that with some of the individuals they pick for the show and the atmosphere they create it was always going to be a matter of when rather than if something like this was going to occur. [/quote]

i can see your point. i’m mostly just ranting against defending the guys. it seems that many people seem to think dana white should have just let it go when in reality he is a business man managing athletes and his business, not a baby sitter watching teens with behavioral problems.

I thought the dude who snagged the armbar from the bottom should’ve broken the guys arm instead of just hanging on to it while he slammed him…submissions are useless in a real world situation unless you are willing to complete them fully; ie-choke out or break