Hours of Sleep a Night?

i scheduled my classes so that i had my first at 9 on mwf and then on tues and thurs at 11…but i always end up waking up at 5 anyway and studying for a test or quiz or something…not fun man…

today was the first day in weeks were i slept good… i did at least 10hrs…

also i always wake up at 5 regardless because i have to take a major piss…people tell me i sound like a horse taking a piss lol…I think its because i drink a shake before bed always…

During the week I get 3-4.5 hours plus two half hour naps during my train commute.

Weekends I catch up with 5-6 hours, but no naps.

I get like 6-7. I’m usually waken at about 2am-3am as my girlfriend likes to stay up late studying and then calls me before she sleeps. Really doesn’t seem to effect me so much. Sometimes I fall asleep on the phone though and I get introuble lol

I’m surprised so many people manage to get 8+ hours of sleep.

Ideally, I would get 8. I do ok with 7, and notice a drop in my weightlifing performance when I get 6, especially if two or more days in a row.

I’m surprised so many people manage to get 8+ hours of sleep.

Ideally, I would get 8. I do ok with 7, and notice a drop in my weightlifing performance when I get 6, especially if two or more days in a row.

I usually get 9 hrs 4 days a week, 7 hrs the other 3.

I tried to do my own little study, detailing how well rested I felt throughout the day depending on how much sleep I got the night before, but I didn’t get any results that I could really apply for the future… too many variables I think.

Last night I only got 7 because I had loads of studying to do and didn’t even end up finishing it. Thats the least I’ve gotten overnight in a long time actually, didn’t seem too tired today though and my workout was normal so I may even use that extra time more often but still I like to get 8 hours if I can.

Another problem is 8 hours “asleep” really is 7.5, 7.5 is really 7, etc… because I ALWAYS get up at least once to go to the bathroom

I’m lucky to get 5 hours. Can’t turn off the brain it seems. Sometimes I think being an artist is a curse. Creative impulses are always firing.

6-7 on weekdays, around 10 on weekends.

I normally get 8-10hrs. I really do like my sleep. If I get less, im normally a grumpy prick.

4 to 5 hours on a good night. For some of the people that get tons of sleep, how the hell do you manage that?

[quote]TheChosenOne17 wrote:
4 to 5 hours on a good night. For some of the people that get tons of sleep, how the hell do you manage that? [/quote]

I get 7 3 days a week, 9 4 days a week, as some days I go to work a bit earlier. The way i see it, sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, leaving 8 more hours to work out/ eat/ get dressed / shower / hang out, etc. How are people in school not getting enough sleep? In college I used to get 10 hours of sleep every day…

I need 8 hours at the very least to function properly whether I am working out or not; preferably 10 - 11 hours… which doesn’t happen anymore that I am all grown up :frowning:

[quote]challer1 wrote:
TheChosenOne17 wrote:
4 to 5 hours on a good night. For some of the people that get tons of sleep, how the hell do you manage that?

I get 7 3 days a week, 9 4 days a week, as some days I go to work a bit earlier. The way i see it, sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, leaving 8 more hours to work out/ eat/ get dressed / shower / hang out, etc. How are people in school not getting enough sleep? In college I used to get 10 hours of sleep every day…[/quote]

They’re called AP classes.

if you were getting 10 hours of sleep in college you obviously weren’t givin er for your studies…maybe you didnt have to because you were extrodinarly smart, or maybe your program was very easy, either way this semester while being in 6 classes i also practiced guitar 4 hours on most days and sometimes more (yes im a music student)i actually had to do this just to survive the program, as i came into the program very behind a lot of people.

most of these days i got about 5-6 or if i was lucky 7 hours of sleep. no i didnt make any gains during this time…i was lifting weights and o was caming close but then BOOM i re hurt my shoulder, God dammit eh?

i hope to make much better gains over the summer and hope for things to work out better in the lifting department over my next 3 years as an undergrad student.

EDIt: this was written in a sleep deprived state

Sleep less, live longer?

Increased Death Rate Associated
With Sleeping 8 Hours or More

Although it?s a common belief that 8 hours of sleep is required for optimal health, a six-year study of more than one million adults ages 30 to 102 has shown that people who get only 6 to 7 hours a night have a lower death rate. Individuals who sleep 8 hours or more, or less than 4 hours a night, were shown to have a significantly increased death rate compared to those who averaged 6 to 7 hours.

Researchers from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine and the American Cancer Society collaborated on the study, which appeared in the February 15, 2002 issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry, a journal of the American Medical Association.

Although the data indicated the highest mortality rates with long-duration sleep, the study could not explain the causes or reasons for this association.

Daniel F. Kripke, M.D., in his sleep lab at UCSD.

First author Daniel F. Kripke, M.D., a UCSD professor of psychiatry who specializes in sleep research, said ?we don?t know if long sleep periods lead to death. Additional studies are needed to determine if setting your alarm clock earlier will actually improve your health.?

But, he added ?individuals who now average 6.5 hours of sleep a night, can be reassured that this is a safe amount of sleep. From a health standpoint, there is no reason to sleep longer.?

Kripke is also a member of UCSD’s Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging.

The study, which addressed sleep issues as part of the Cancer Prevention Study II (CPSII) of the American Cancer Society, also indicated that participants who reported occasional bouts of insomnia did not have an increased mortality rate, but those individuals who took sleeping pills were more likely to die sooner.

?Insomnia is not synonymous with short sleep,? the authors said in the article. ?Patients commonly complain of insomnia when their sleep durations are well within the range of people without sleep symptoms.?

They added that physicians believe most patient complaints about ?insomnia? are actually related to depression, rather than a diagnosis of insomnia.

With 1.1 million participants, this was the first large-scale population study of sleep to also take into consideration variables such as age, diet, exercise, previous health problems, and risk factors such as smoking, in comparing longevity among the participants. In other words, individuals with specific characteristics were compared with individuals of a similar age, health background, etc.

Although the study was conducted from 1982-88, the sleep results have not been available until recently due to the length of time required to input and analyze the vast amount and variety of data from the 1.1 million participants.

?Previous sleep studies have indicated that both short- and long-duration sleep had higher mortality rates,? Kripke said. ?However, none of those studies were large enough to distinguish the difference between 7 and 8 hours a night, until now.?

The figures above indicate hours of sleep for men (left) and women (right). The hazard ratio, the top bar graph, indicates the mortality risk while the bottom graph shows the percentage of subjects associated with the reported number of hours sleep.

The best survival rates were found among those who slept 7 hours per night. The study showed that a group sleeping 8 hours were 12 percent more likely to die within the six-year period than those sleeping 7 hours, other factors being equal. Even those with as little as 5 hours sleep lived longer than participants with 8 hours or more per night.

The mean age for women in the study was 57, while the mean age for men was 58. Within the six year period, 5.1 percent of the women had died and 9.4 percent of the men. The causes of death resembled the distribution for the general population.

Additional authors of the study were Lawrence Garfinkel, M.A., the American Cancer Society, New York; Deborah L. Wingard, Ph.D. and Melville R. Klauber, Ph.D., UCSD Department of Family and Preventive Medicine; and Matthew R. Marler, Ph.D., UCSD Department of Psychiatry.

Data came from the American Cancer Society with analysis supported by the National Institutes of Health.

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2002/02_08_Kripke.html

10-12 hours. I have nothing to do all day but eat and lift, so getting enough sleep isn’t a problem for me at all. Being able to fall asleep at a decent hour is certainly a problem, though. My days are more like 26 hours long rather than 24 =/

yeah, only problem in that study is the people studied were probably completely sedentary.

[quote]challer1 wrote:
TheChosenOne17 wrote:

I get 7 3 days a week, 9 4 days a week, as some days I go to work a bit earlier. The way i see it, sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, leaving 8 more hours to work out/ eat/ get dressed / shower / hang out, etc. How are people in school not getting enough sleep? In college I used to get 10 hours of sleep every day…[/quote]

damn what kind of classes did you take and what were your grades like? Were you working out at the time?

Sleep has been my Kryptonite for a long time. I love sleep but if I have alot on my mind then getting to sleep is a problem… after years of shift work staying asleep can be an issue too.
7.5 hours sleep, 8 hours sleep… both sound great to me.