T Nation

Hours of Sleep a Night?

How many hours of sleep do you usually get each night?

I always try to get 8 hours but it usually ends up being about 7.5 which i doubt is a big deal.

I know the busier I get though the more I’ll have to have nights where I get less sleep. Is only getting 7 hours a night going to significantly affect results? I’m sure that amount is the reality for a lot of the busy guys around here.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
How many hours of sleep do you usually get each night?

I always try to get 8 hours but it usually ends up being about 7.5 which i doubt is a big deal.

I know the busier I get though the more I’ll have to have nights where I get less sleep. Is only getting 7 hours a night going to significantly affect results? I’m sure that amount is the reality for a lot of the busy guys around here. [/quote]

If your training isn’t suffering I don’t see the reason why you should be worried BUT then again someone will most likely come in and post a link to an article saying how sleeping 8.2 hours is optional for muscle growth or something.

I would KILL for 7.5 hours of sleep.

Eh, 6-8. This time of year school is unforgiving, though.

Usually 6 hours. I try to get a 1-3 hour nap per day in. I usually have a 4-5 hour nap where I just crash towards the end of the week though.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Eh, 6-8. This time of year school is unforgiving, though.[/quote]

FUCK School
in my HUMBLE opinion

usually 5 to 7 hours, but don’t listen to me as i havent gained any muscle in a while haha

I get about 8.5-9

Less than 8 and I don’t do so well. More than 9 and it’s too much

[quote]prospa7 wrote:
SSC wrote:
Eh, 6-8. This time of year school is unforgiving, though.

FUCK School
in my HUMBLE opinion[/quote]
Good luck with that broski.

I get 5-6. I’ve adapted, but I fall asleep in random places at times. Homework takes a while and then I lift for 2+ hours. I can’t wait for summer. All I’m doing is lifting, working, and sleeping. I’ll hopefully get a job at my gym again, and they’re cool with me eating there. And I’d get off work and go straight to lifting. It would be so convenient.

almost always 8, and i get more whenever time permits.

Damn do I love naps.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

Damn do I love naps.[/quote]

I always wake up more tired or with a headache from naps.

9, 10 depends how lazy I’m feeling.

How do you guys manage this?

Average 9.

8 hours or less and I feel shitty and require a buttload of caffeine to function properly.

fuck, i’m going to have about 2 hours of slepep tonight.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
fuck, i’m going to have about 2 hours of slepep tonight.[/quote]

I was trying to watch this damn movie, and all of a sudden I happened to “wake up” 30 minutes ago. I passed out during the first 5 or so minutes of the movie, at 12 AM. I’m probably not going to be able to go back to sleep, cause that’s how lame I am at times, so I got 2 MORE hours on ya, HM.

Anyway, ON topic. I USED to get around 5-6 hours a night, but lately I’ve been able to get 7-8. It was weird and astonishing for me to watch the sun rise yesterday. I’m never up that early.

I average around 6 because of school. I;m still seeing good gains in strength so I don’t feel it is a problem. Even if I did feel it was a problem I couldn’t do anything about it lol.

Everything happens in your sleep.

You produce cholesterol in your sleep

You produce testosterone in your sleep

You produce HGH in your sleep

You repair ALL damaged tissue in your sleep

Not enough sleep raises cortisol

Not enough sleep raises insulin resistance

You should fall asleep pretty quickly after trying and you should stay asleep all night. When you get up you should feel rested not tired.

ANY disturbance to a sleep pattern means there is something wrong.

8 - 9 hours is optimal for most adults.

Quality of sleep is important. 8 hours of disturbed sleep is different to 8 hours of solid sleep.

We’re designed to go to sleep when it gets dark and get up when it gets light so make your room as dark as possible.

And on and on it goes…

6 hours if I’m lucky…7-9 on the weekends. Yes I know it’s not optimal. Wife, 6mo old, two jobs, it happens.

[quote]Artem wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

Damn do I love naps.

I always wake up more tired or with a headache from naps.[/quote]

Damn man, me too. I know people are like a bright ball of fucking sunshine after a nap. Makes me scratch my head every time.