Hot Tearing/Stretching Sensation in Right Quad

This is the second time I’ve felt this while doing angled sled leg presses (first time being several months ago). When I was at the bottom of the ROM (knees at chest), I felt a burning tearing/stretching sensation in my right quad between the midpoint of my thigh and knee. This was with very light weight (I was focusing on getting the full ROM).

After this happened, I foam rolled for about 5-10 minutes and went about doing the rest of my workout. When I returned to the leg press, I felt the sensation again, so I ended up not working out my quads.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening? In addition to this sensation, I have noticed that the every now and then, the surface of my right thigh feels numb when I rub my hand on it. It isn’t until I start pinching/digging my fingernails into my leg that I can actually feel something. It’s not a constant feeling, however (it comes and goes).

Other than that, I’m walking fine, squatted and did seated leg extensions fine last week, so everything seems okay (except for this weird feeling).

Any theories/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hate to bump a thread, but any ideas? I know I could just ignore the sensation, but last thing I want to do is tear something, especially when I’m traveling in a few days.

EDIT: Did some looking around, and it seems like I might have a pinched nerve in my leg, which makes sense given the numbness and tingling sensation (which I may have mistook for tearing/stretching). Wonder if this is something I can just work through.

It sounds bad but you say you squated since? I will ask my PT wife and get back to you.

[quote]kross001 wrote:
It sounds bad but you say you squated since? I will ask my PT wife and get back to you.[/quote]

I have not squatted since. However, today I did some leg extensions (3x10) and then went to the leg press to see how my right quad was doing. I didn’t feel any pain/tingling/tearing, so I now know that pre-fatiguing my quad will allow me to leg press. No clue as to why.

I’m scheduled to do back squats on Saturday, so I’ll let you know how those go.

Scar tissue or adhesions? idk that’s all I’ve got

I once experienced a minor quad tear that sounds similar to what you are describing. I had to take a month off of lower body training. You may want to get it checked out just in case. You don’t want a minor tear to escalate into a full blown rupture.

[quote]kardon wrote:
I once experienced a minor quad tear that sounds similar to what you are describing. I had to take a month off of lower body training. You may want to get it checked out just in case. You don’t want a minor tear to escalate into a full blown rupture.[/quote]

This is very similar to what the Physical Therapist said. I would watch it carefully (best case) or get it looked at (worst case).

EDIT: Just saw your edit… be careful.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I scheduled an appointment with my university’s sports medicine clinic to get this checked out.

As far as my workout tomorrow, I’ll replace the squats with a hamstring movement (good mornings) and will probably do some very light quad work to get the blood flowing.

@jo3 I experience the same feelings, a burning/tearing in the middle of my right quad, and numbness on the top and outside of the same thigh. But I’m primarily a runner, not a bodybuilder. The burning/tearing feeling happens when I’m stretching the affected quad, while the numbness is sporadic. The feelings are not very deep, and there is no obvious muscle weakness.

I am not a doctor, but the symptoms seem to point to meralgia paresthetica, caused by compression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. This and similar nerves travel under the inguinal ligament, which runs from the front to the inside of the hip, connecting the anterior superior iliac spine to the pubic tubercle. The ligament also keeps the deep hip flexor, the iliopsoas, in place during hip flexion. It could be that by going all the way down in the leg press is causing or contributing to nerve compression. (In my case, I think it may have been from aggressive stretching with my foot up on a step and my torso on my thigh.) Supposedly it can clear up on its own in a few months.

My insurance doesn’t cover PT unless necessitated by a work injury. Did you follow through with your university’s clinic?

A very old post, original poster might not still be on this site. Still good information for someone going through a similar situation.
I did almost exactly the same thing as the OP, but using a vertical leg press and relatively light weight, very full ROM. Another potential option is a tear in the fascia, which envelopes the muscle. I put mine down to a fascial tear because it seemed like tearing a piece of paper on the surface of the muscle, but under the skin, rather than deep in the quads.

I get this too on my left quad . It comes and goes . I usually only feel it during the descent portion of squats or if the bar press on a sensitive sport when I’m hip thrusting . I feel the sensation shooting down the front of my leg . I got dry needling done and it felt amazing afterwards but the issue literally came back within a few days. I have no idea what the problem is .

Happened to me along time ago on leg presses and squats. Google the following:
Starr Protocol.

Its a method of rehab designed to prevent scar tissue formation and thus prevent a retear.

I haven’t checked out the forums in ages, but how do I not respond to this post? I’m still here :smile: just don’t have the time to peruse forums like I did when I first joined the site (June 2004!!!).

To come full circle, my quad issues went away anywhere between 2-8 years ago :smile:

1 Like