Hot Tea May Increase Throat Cancer

anyone hear of this lately? just came across this and was a bit startled due to the fact i drink hot green tea every morning. i highly doubt that i drink it at the temperature they are speaking of, but just one more thing to add to my hypochondriac list lol.

http://www.koco.com/health/19027179/detail.html

I would like to know if people in Iran also drink coffee (specifically those that have throat cancer. I would also be curious to know about other potential cancer causing factors.

Until I see a better article or a study that accounts for other factors, I’m not going to worry about it.

is it a surprise, soon oxygen will be related to increased cancer risks

ONLY SHOWS CORRELATION.

Example. Data shows that most people on harder drugs started with pot. So pot is a gateway drug that causes people to begin harder drugs right? However, almost all started with orange juice. Why is OJ not banned? People that do harder drugs probably had the character and will to do them regardless of pot.

Just because something precedes something else, doesn’t mean it caused it.

Like gateway drugs, many correlated statistics are both caused by an unmeasured 3rd factor.

In this case, it could be that a throat abnormality causes the cancer and an scratchy or somewhat sore throat. So people with this pre-existing throat condition tend to like warmer tea because it soothes their throat. The tea could be a result of the cause the same as the cancer.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
ONLY SHOWS CORRELATION.

Example. Data shows that most people on harder drugs started with pot. So pot is a gateway drug that causes people to begin harder drugs right? However, almost all started with orange juice. Why is OJ not banned? People that do harder drugs probably had the character and will to do them regardless of pot.

Just because something precedes something else, doesn’t mean it caused it.

Like gateway drugs, many correlated statistics are both caused by an unmeasured 3rd factor.

In this case, it could be that a throat abnormality causes the cancer and an scratchy or somewhat sore throat. So people with this pre-existing throat condition tend to like warmer tea because it soothes their throat. The tea could be a result of the cause the same as the cancer.[/quote]

Good points. You could also make a case for the fact that coffee and tea drinkers usually have more experience smoking cigs, either past or present.

I never understood people who like their coffee/tea/assorted hot drinks hotter than fucking lava. My mom used to ask the people in the drive thru window to microwave her coffee before getting it because its apparently not hot enough right out of the pot…

That means I shouldn’t chug my boiling tea any more? Who would have thought.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
is it a surprise, soon oxygen will be related to increased cancer risks[/quote]

Already is (along with everything else in the atmosphere). There is speculation that it is the reason we have had to deal with cancer for our entire history, and can find no way to effectively deal with it.

Now I say speculation because there is no scientific studies; Even if it were oxygen behind it, there would be nothing we could do about it.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
is it a surprise, soon oxygen will be related to increased cancer risks[/quote]

It already is.

Why do you think we take anti-oxidants?

i think the iranians are just stirring up some shit with us infidels

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

It already is.

Why do you think we take anti-oxidants?[/quote]

You take anti-oxidants for free radicals…not oxygen. Now oxygen can be a free radical state, but you have your chemistry all mixed up.

Also, I know Iranians in general drink there tea VERY HOT.

[quote]RossDB wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Already is (along with everything else in the atmosphere). There is speculation that it is the reason we have had to deal with cancer for our entire history, and can find no way to effectively deal with it.

Now I say speculation because there is no scientific studies; Even if it were oxygen behind it, there would be nothing we could do about it.[/quote]

I guarantee that if you deprive cancer cells of oxygen, they will die.