Hot Sauce Unhealthy?

Can eating a lot of spicy foods, hot sauce or hot peppers be detrimental to health?

Any research on this?

All I could think of is eating hot sauce in excess might raise blood pressure due to its high sodium content. Also, that might cause water retention in a matter of constest shape. I actually hear that capsaisin, the stuff that makes peppers hot, can actually be cleasnsing. I suppose anything in excess can be detrimental to some extent, but how much hot sauce and peppers are you talkin’ here? Bottles and pounds lol?

You know, I always figured that there was absolutely nothing wrong with a little (or a lot of) capsaicin (which is the chemical in chilis which makes them spicy), but apparently there’s a correlation between capsaicin consuption and stomach cancer.

I’m not saying that you should never ever eat any spicy food again, but it’s worth taking into consideration.

[quote]BJammin wrote:
All I could think of is eating hot sauce in excess might raise blood pressure due to its high sodium content. Also, that might cause water retention in a matter of constest shape. I actually hear that capsaisin, the stuff that makes peppers hot, can actually be cleasnsing. I suppose anything in excess can be detrimental to some extent, but how much hot sauce and peppers are you talkin’ here? Bottles and pounds lol?[/quote]

ahhh… i never thought of the sodium content. must be pretty high.

no but i add it to alot of meals and tend to like spicy foods.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
You know, I always figured that there was absolutely nothing wrong with a little (or a lot of) capsaicin (which is the chemical in chilis which makes them spicy), but apparently there’s a correlation between capsaicin consuption and stomach cancer.

I’m not saying that you should never ever eat any spicy food again, but it’s worth taking into consideration.[/quote]

good find thanks

Stomach cancer, really? I’m deffinately going to check that out. I heard that the heat was good for metabloism. IDK though, I hear a lot of bullshit. Pretty sure I heard that on the Food Network haha. I love hot sauce, but I don’t do a lot with it because of the high sodium.

Def gotta read the labels of things haha. If it tastes good it probably has a lot of salt, a lot of sugar, or a lot of both lol.

A lot of people in Mexico who grew up eating spicy foods end up with stomach issues later on in life, such that they have to abstain from all things spicy thereafter.

Spicy foods are also highly acidic.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:

I’m not saying that you should never ever eat any spicy food again, but it’s worth taking into consideration.[/quote]

I might be preaching to the choir here but don’t forget- correlation does not equal causation!

I used to eat a ton of spicy foods before I got ibs, not I can’t have any. If you handle them fine, I’d say keep eating chilis-- but if you find you’re getting chronic heartburn or other stomach issues I’d back off.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
I used to eat a ton of spicy foods before I got ibs, not I can’t have any. If you handle them fine, I’d say keep eating chilis-- but if you find you’re getting chronic heartburn or other stomach issues I’d back off.[/quote]

Or, eating spicy foods will aggravate a condition which you might be prone to; since most of us don’t know everything that we are prone to, we should play it safe.

None.

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:

I might be preaching to the choir here but don’t forget- correlation does not equal causation![/quote]

Yep, I know. I tried to word my post in such a way that it didn’t seem like I was condemning capsaicin consumption as sure way to get cancer. One of those studies dealt with regional variation in stomach cancer and the other with self-reported spice consumption, so there’s alot of room for other explanations.

But… it doesn’t hurt to keep these studies in mind next time your friends bet you that you can’t finish off that whole bottle of hot sauce without vomiting.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
I used to eat a ton of spicy foods before I got ibs, not I can’t have any. If you handle them fine, I’d say keep eating chilis-- but if you find you’re getting chronic heartburn or other stomach issues I’d back off.[/quote]

I have ibs, but i consume hot sauce like there’s no tomorrow. It mostly act up if i eat some crappy fast food or i am excited/nervous about some upcoming event. Needless to say, college orientation was awful.