T Nation

HOT-ROX Extreme & Sleep

I’m currently doing the Velocity Diet and seeing great results. I’ve lost twelve pounds in two weeks (I shit you not- although I’m sure there’s alot of water weight in there).

I didn’t take HOT-ROX Extreme from the beginning like Shugart recommended, but I just started about five days ago. Now my workout intensity has definitely gone through the roof with it. I have a tremendous amount of energy, and my mood has actually improved a little too.

However, I’m having trouble sleeping. I’m not having trouble falling asleep, but I’ve been waking up about six hours after falling asleep and having trouble going back to sleep. I work graveyard shift, so I don’t go to sleep till about 8-9am, which wreaks havoc on sleep patterns on its own. But I’ve been working out at the level of intensity where I know from experience I should be conked out for nine or ten hours.

I take my last dose of HOT-ROX about seven hours before bedtime. I’m also taking Melatonin and ZMA before I go to bed (and this definitely helps me fall asleep). However, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I hesitate to completely blame the HOT-ROX on my sleep problems because logic would dictate that I should have trouble falling asleep, not staying asleep. The problem did start when I first went on HOT-ROX- BUT I’ve read that sleep problems can also be the result of overtraining.

My training intensity did go up because of the HOT-ROX, and I am on the Velocity Diet. I have also noticed that my coordination outside the gym has been off when it comes to fine motor movements- I drop things more, my fingers miss keys on the keyboard, etc. This doesn’t happen all the time, but about twice a day- which is twice more than usual. This sounds like CNS burnout to me, but I feel great. I don’t feel fatigued at all.

So I was wondering what you folks thought. Is the HOT-ROX causing me to have sleep problems, or am I overtraining? Also- is there a good supplement to help me keep from waking, as opposed to most supplements that aid in falling asleep?

First of all, I’m no expert, but I would be surprised if it would keep you from being able to sleep if you’re taking it seven hours before you go to bed. It is possible though.

Maybe having abnormal sleep habits makes you more sensitive to stimulants (just throwing a possibility out there, I don?t think this is the case). The only reason why would see that it might is that if your body isn’t used too many stimulants (such as caffeine). Is there any reason why you can’t bump it back a few hours and see if it helps?

I’m interested to see what other people say though since I’m considering taking HOT-ROX in a few months.

I am very sensitive to stimulants and share the same problem with any type of caffeine. Even if a take a caffeine pill at 1:00 pm I still cant sleep very good (usually go to bed around 2:00 am). It just goes to show how different bodies react to different substances. I would imagine that you will probably get used to it.

I’m not very sensitive to stimulants but I am sure to take my second dose of HOT-ROX before 2pm otherwise it does mess with my sleep! It took me a while to figure this out but once I bumped it back from 6 hrs to 8 hrs before bed, my sleep has gotten a lot better. Just my experience with it.

you are on the V Diet, it could be the hunger/low blood sugar that’s waking you up

I’ve been on the V with and without HOT-ROX; my sleep was erratic any which way. Many people report irregular sleep while on the V, so you’re not alone. (And that’s why I’m on T-Nation at 00:15 instead of in bed, like I wish I were.)

I’m not sensitive to caffeine or any stim really, but if I took HOT-ROX any later then 4PM, I wasn’t falling asleep til 2AM or later.

I didn’t wake up in the middle of the night though, surprisingly I slept all the way through.

I also work night shift, and just starting taking HOT-ROX last week. I go to bed around 8-9am when I get off. I guess that I haven’t noticed any difference in my sleep only because I am up at 4p anyway to workout.

I definitely don’t have issues of sleeping when I’m off and getting back on a day schedule (I work 12hr nights, 3 in a row). Yesterday, for example, I slept until noon and I went to bed about 10p the night before!

Instead of starting a new thread, i decided to bump an old one. I have similar problems as you people. I take 1HRX first thing in the morning and 1 more six hours later and it meses with my sleep even if i take Melatonin and ZMA before going to bed. I also wake up after 5-6 hours of sleeping and have hard time going back to sleep. I know, that taking just 1 HRX won’t hurt my sleep anymore, but would it still be productive for the fat loss?

Also, what do you think of taking 2HRXs in the morning as one dose, instead of breaking it into two?

[quote]Zluke wrote:
Instead of starting a new thread, i decided to bump an old one. I have similar problems as you people. I take 1HRX first thing in the morning and 1 more six hours later and it meses with my sleep even if i take Melatonin and ZMA before going to bed. I also wake up after 5-6 hours of sleeping and have hard time going back to sleep. I know, that taking just 1 HRX won’t hurt my sleep anymore, but would it still be productive for the fat loss?

Also, what do you think of taking 2HRXs in the morning as one dose, instead of breaking it into two?[/quote]

Are you only taking one pill at a time? The label does list that you can take 2 at once, so 2 should be fine for the first dose. The second dose is supposed to be 6 hours later, as you mentioned, so that should be 10 hours before you go to bed, based on an 8 hour sleep cycle, and assuming you go to bed at the same time every day.

But I would believe taking 1 or 2 only once a day would be fine. Maybe not as effective as taking it twice a day, but still good. If I remember right the main ingredient stays in your system for something like 24 hours anyway.

Now the caffeine usually has a half life of 2.5 to 4.5 hours. But depending on genetics, and other factors, that time frame can climb significantly. It might be a good idea to know how you respond to caffeine.

Also how many other sources of caffeine you consume, and when. It could be that you are ok with the HOT-ROX, or with the coffee, and/or other sources of caffeine, but the two together may push that above what your body can deal with.

To me it does seem weird that you are waking up 5-6 hours later, when all the stimulants are most likely at a minimum. It might have nothing to do with HOT-ROX.

Try a couple of days off, then a couple back on. Then if it does seem to make a difference, try 2 in the morning only.

Zluke, I too am very sensitive to the stimulant effects of HOT-ROX and don’t sleep so well if I take a second dose at noontime.

I have taken just ONE capsule at 6 AM and had great effects for fat loss.

In fact, conventional wisdom says that HOT-ROX only works when your diet is in order. However, just for kicks I tried taking one cap each morning without changing my diet. I lost 5 pounds of fat in one month.

i heard that working at night is bad for your heart, combine that with a stimulant and…i dont know

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yes, i take only one capsule each time. So one cap in the am and one more 6 hours later. I feel great - not jittery, just a feeling of well being, but it is hard to get asleep and i do wake in 5-6 hours. I drink a few cups of green tea during the day and the tea is not from tea bags, but it is home brewed, meaning that it is somewhat stronger - maybe i should ditch it.

I’ve never taken 2 caps at a time, so i will try taking it first thing in the mornings and than, if my sleep goes well, i will try another cap in 6 hours… but, not sure yet.

About the diet - i am trying to get down from ~15% fat to i-can-see-the-abs-point and the process goes well so far.

Thanks again, will try as per your recommendations.

Appreciate the thread, I’m dealing with this right now.

The mere fact that you work the graveyard automatically screws up your sleep pattern. I don’t think people were meant to be awake during those hours, and just throw off so much if you do. I am sure the HOT-ROX is just one factor, but if you are able to change your work hrs that would be even better.