HOT-ROX and Weight GAIN?

Been a long time lifter, but as I have lost weight over time (thanks, T-mag!) I have gotten into cycling and become competitive. As such, the last 4 months I practically eliminated lifting during the competitive season. Weight was maintained pretty well, though I recognize I lost some strength and muscle mass. I’m working on increasing muscle mass and losing fat.

So I’ve been back in the gym (3 weeks) and lifting hard with a solid Waterbury protocol, and I recently started taking HOT-ROX Extreme and Alpha Male. I’ve been eating cleaner as well, dialing down the simple carbs needed when I cycle.

I’ve gained 10 pounds! Doesn’t seem to be fat, but I’m not sure. I’m starting measurements tonight, so I guess I’ll have my answer in a couple more weeks for sure.

I’ve never taken Carbolin 19 before, and I’m assuming this is the cause of the weight gain given Biotest’s description of how Carbolin 19 works.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Greg

Maybe eating “cleaner” isn’t enough. If you have dropped your calories too low it is possible to actually gain weight. So adding in the weight training to the cycling and cleaning up the diet could have you eating too little. How much do you eat in a typical day?

I haven’t really changed the calories much, simply traded simple carbs for more complex ones and upping protein intake. Even if I had increased or decreased calories to some degree, it’s not enough to account for a 10 pound weight gain. I’ve kept food logs for the last 4 years - long enough to be pretty savvy about my caloric intake.

The obvious answer is that I should have been taking measurements since day one, but I can’t go back in time. I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar change on Carbolin 19.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next 3 weeks, now that I’m logging every damn thing again!

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Maybe eating “cleaner” isn’t enough. If you have dropped your calories too low it is possible to actually gain weight. So adding in the weight training to the cycling and cleaning up the diet could have you eating too little. How much do you eat in a typical day?[/quote]

[quote]aikigreg wrote:
Been a long time lifter, but as I have lost weight over time (thanks, T-mag!) I have gotten into cycling and become competitive. As such, the last 4 months I practically eliminated lifting during the competitive season. Weight was maintained pretty well, though I recognize I lost some strength and muscle mass. I’m working on increasing muscle mass and losing fat.

So I’ve been back in the gym (3 weeks) and lifting hard with a solid Waterbury protocol, and I recently started taking HOT-ROX Extreme and Alpha Male. I’ve been eating cleaner as well, dialing down the simple carbs needed when I cycle.

I’ve gained 10 pounds! Doesn’t seem to be fat, but I’m not sure. I’m starting measurements tonight, so I guess I’ll have my answer in a couple more weeks for sure.

I’ve never taken Carbolin 19 before, and I’m assuming this is the cause of the weight gain given Biotest’s description of how Carbolin 19 works.

Greg

[/quote]

First–I don’t know which Alpha Male you have, but be careful of combining the 2. You may want just TRIBEX.

Second–you’ve gained 10lbs in 3 weeks. It ain’t muscle so it’s either water or fat.

I agree with the premise of the previous poster, but that wouldn’t account for 10lbs in 3 weeks. You simply are eating too much or too much of the wrong foods. You say clean–I say workout/HOT-ROX/clean/drop carbs DOES NOT equal this type of weight gain.

That doesn’t sound like Carbolin 19 results at all. The idea was to lose body fat and gain lean mass therby resulting in little weight lost, but an improved body composition. I’m sure they aren’t stacking the 2 products for an end result of 10lb weight gains in 3 weeks.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
aikigreg wrote:

Greg

First–I don’t know which Alpha Male you have, but be careful of combining the 2. You may want just TRIBEX.

Second–you’ve gained 10lbs in 3 weeks. It ain’t muscle so it’s either water or fat.

I agree with the premise of the previous poster, but that wouldn’t account for 10lbs in 3 weeks. You simply are eating too much or too much of the wrong foods. You say clean–I say workout/HOT-ROX/clean/drop carbs DOES NOT equal this type of weight gain.

That doesn’t sound like Carbolin 19 results at all. The idea was to lose body fat and gain lean mass therby resulting in little weight lost, but an improved body composition. I’m sure they aren’t stacking the 2 products for an end result of 10lb weight gains in 3 weeks.[/quote]

You are forgetting about muscle memory on someone who claims they quit lifting weights and lost muscle from it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You are forgetting about muscle memory on someone who claims they quit lifting weights and lost muscle from it.[/quote]

Yes even just the stimulus again of lifting the hydration and swelling of the muscles will add some Lbs.

heck I havent been dieting and can add ten lbs of scale weight after a brutal leg w/o from the damage hydration etc. it leave in a few days.

I can see however that if you stopped a ton of cycling and didnt change diet amount of intake well thats a Lot intake not being reapid for and could/should tend to have you gain as well.

Phill

Professor - yes, the massive amounts of cycling I have done in the last few months - thousands of logged miles - was enough to definately catabolize some muscle.

Perhaps it’s my body reacting to a dietary change, perhaps it’s water retention in the muscles.

As an FFB, it’s usually tough to make my body change much in a short period of time, and the times I have changed to a cutting phase, I will often see no scale weight change for the first few weeks, but I’ve never seen a gain.

I’ve also never been an endurance athlete before and I have no idea of the effects this is having on my body in the midst of switching back to a lifter post-season.

However, things seem to be normalling out somewhat - the scale showed 3 pounds less today. Go figure.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again HOT-ROX Extreme or Alpha Male both containing Carbolin 19 are pretty anabolic.

Combine that with what the Professor said about muscle memory and the fact that you cycled off a good amount of muscle. Now you’re hitting the weights again and eating clean.

I would say if you feel strong in the gym with your poundage’s climbing it’s probably hydration and some muscle gain accounting for the weight gain.

D

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
aikigreg wrote:

Greg

That doesn’t sound like Carbolin 19 results at all. The idea was to lose body fat and gain lean mass therby resulting in little weight lost, but an improved body composition. I’m sure they aren’t stacking the 2 products for an end result of 10lb weight gains in 3 weeks.

You are forgetting about muscle memory on someone who claims they quit lifting weights and lost muscle from it.[/quote]

I would agree that muscle memory is a factor, but I did account for water in my post. My answer was purely, he didn’t put on 10lbs of muscle in 3 weeks.