[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]PaddyM wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
The people that bet on competitive eating are almost as dumb as the people who compete in competitive eating[/quote]

Says the vegan. 1:7 odds say you’re a pussy.

:)[/quote]

At least I don’t have distressing and painful bowel movements[/quote]

I’d rather have painful bowel movements than a vagina.[/quote]

Says the soccer fan…
[/quote]

You could have said “Says the Arsenal fan”, would have been more fitting.

But hey, all that “soccer is for girls” thing makes me think. In the top three sports in USA, two of them involve heavy armor and no physical contact except postmatch handshake in the other one. So I wonder who’s really the pussy here…

[/quote]

What is this heavy armor and no physical contact you speak of? And honestly, soccer gets hated on because the guys flop and whine like little school girls. If they didn’t act like it was such a fierce sport, nobody would have any gripe with them.[/quote]

American Football (compare to Rugby, Australian Rules, etc.), Ice Hockey (compare to the other kind of hockey) and baseball (“good game bro” shakes hand).

I’ve played football (soccer) for a long time and while some players do really whine, getting kicked in your support leg or when trying to reach the ball hurts. A LOT. It only lasts a minute or so, but the shock itself hurts.

A few Summers ago I was playing in a friendly environment. A guy tried to dribble me, I tried to reach the ball, missed and hit his ankle very hard. He was fine after two minutes, but the look on his face terrified me because I thought I had injured him.

I don’t disagree that diving is annoying though.
[/quote]

I know you are not American and so you have a slanted view. I played both types of football for many many years. Sorry but there are players in the the NFL that it wouldnt matter how much padding you put on would CRUSH you and me for that matter.

Demarcus Ware 6’4" and weighs around 265 pounds and can run a 4.6 40 yard time. If he hits you a full speed believe me no matter how much padding you have on it will hurt.

I dont watch rugby or Australian rules football, HOWEVER I will say that if these sports had the same type of athletes as NFL then I would watch. Obviously they dont or they would be coming to America to play in the NFL and make millions. Just my .02

DJHT, I don’t disagree those guys are huge…but they are still wearing armor.

The argument is not very serious anyways, just that I don’t really like this general feeling that “soccer is for pussies”…especially when it’s freezing and you get hit by the ball on the face…

[quote]Edevus wrote:

The argument is not very serious anyways, just that I don’t really like this general feeling that “soccer is for pussies”…especially when it’s freezing and you get hit by the ball in the face…[/quote]

I played for 8-10 years of soccer and no it is not for pussy’s and can be a contact sport. I know I got a lot of red cards. My opinion was more on the fact if you didnt have pads on for Football these guys wouldnt last one game. Serious physical damage would be done.

Like I said I played both for a long time and its not just that they are huge, they are huge and FAST. I really recommend someday if you ever get a chance to watch a NFL game live do watch it. On TV it is not the same as in real life, the speed of the game is really really scary.

I always laugh when people call american football a gladiator though though.

Wrestling beats soccer,rugby,and football.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Have you ever played American football with padding (armor lol) ?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

The argument is not very serious anyways, just that I don’t really like this general feeling that “soccer is for pussies”…especially when it’s freezing and you get hit by the ball in the face…[/quote]

I played for 8-10 years of soccer and no it is not for pussy’s and can be a contact sport. I know I got a lot of red cards. My opinion was more on the fact if you didnt have pads on for Football these guys wouldnt last one game. Serious physical damage would be done. Like I said I played both for a long time and its not just that they are huge, they are huge and FAST. I really recommend someday if you ever get a chance to watch a NFL game live do watch it. On TV it is not the same as in real life, the speed of the game is really really scary. [/quote]

I believe you. I’ve watched few NFL matches, but never live, but yeah, I know the sports are not comparable. There’s no “clash” and “block” in rugby, in example.

So you’re a dirty one uh? All my cards were for complaining. I started playing when I was 9 and I was very short and agile. I was terribly fast, so defenders would just knock me down at any chance…and that hurt.

It didn’t change when I was 16 either. Waking up at 6 to go to some random town, at 5-6º (Celsius) to get beaten by guys 30kg heavier than me was not fun.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Have you ever played American football with padding (armor lol) ?[/quote]

:slight_smile: Picture of the Giants new uniform.

Edevus just fucking with you. This is an age old argument about American football. However it is expanding more over seas so you may someday get to see what we like about it.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

It’s like battle armor.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Edevus just fucking with you. This is an age old argument about American football. However it is expanding more over seas so you may someday get to see what we like about it. [/quote]

Yeah, me too. As I said, not very serious argument.

One of my friends really likes it, so he invited me over to watch a few games. I was surprised that the teams have like, 40 players. Then they have a coach of offense, a coach for defense…
It was fun, but I’m much more into soccer and tennis.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Edevus just fucking with you. This is an age old argument about American football. However it is expanding more over seas so you may someday get to see what we like about it. [/quote]

Lol.

Yeah, I hear this nonsense from people in the US too sometimes. The argument about how the padding and helmet somehow makes it “not so bad”. Of course, none of these people have every played football even with padding or have gotten their bell rung from a helmet on helmet collision. I got rocked playing against other 15 year old kids. I can’t imagine the impact some of the guys in the NFL take.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

I played for 8-10 years of soccer and no it is not for pussy’s and can be a contact sport. I know I got a lot of red cards. My opinion was more on the fact if you didnt have pads on for Football these guys wouldnt last one game. Serious physical damage would be done. Like I said I played both for a long time and its not just that they are huge, they are huge and FAST. I really recommend someday if you ever get a chance to watch a NFL game live do watch it. On TV it is not the same as in real life, the speed of the game is really really scary. [/quote]

I believe you. I’ve watched few NFL matches, but never live, but yeah, I know the sports are not comparable. There’s no “clash” and “block” in rugby, in example.

So you’re a dirty one uh? All my cards were for complaining. I started playing when I was 9 and I was very short and agile. I was terribly fast, so defenders would just knock me down at any chance…and that hurt.

It didn’t change when I was 16 either. Waking up at 6 to go to some random town, at 5-6Ã?º (Celsius) to get beaten by guys 30kg heavier than me was not fun. [/quote]

Yes I was dirty and always built like a cinder block, I perfected the slide tackle and broke a few legs in my day. I even played indoor inter mural in college.

Like anything in life every body is welcome to there opinion, however an opinion that has basis in experience has more merit in my book.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
The people that bet on competitive eating are almost as dumb as the people who compete in competitive eating[/quote]

Says the vegan. 1:7 odds say you’re a pussy.

:)[/quote]

At least I don’t have distressing and painful bowel movements[/quote]

That’s because your “no meat” policy only applies to cephalic orifices.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

He was to busy taking balls to the face. His words not mine.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

The thing about rugby is, as bad-ass as those guys are, they generally throw the ball to someone else to avoid getting tackled. In American football the ball carrier looks to avoid getting tackled obviously, but sometimes they try to run right over guys and they certainly don’t chuck the ball to someone else to avoid getting hit.

Obviously rugby players aren’t tossing the ball to avoid getting hit purely to avoid injury or anything like that. But the distinction should be made that in American football the ball carrier generally does not try to avoid getting tackled to the same extent that they do in rugby. And in rugby almost all tackles are just guys trying to wrap someone up, whereas in football you have guys literally launching themselves right through the ball carrier.

They’re both still bad-ass motherfuckers either way though, and baseball players, American football players and hockey players are all generally tougher and less pansy-like than soccer players. I’ve played all of the aforementioned sports, including varsity soccer for 4 years in high school, and from my anecdotal experience soccer players tend to play up their injuries as much as possible and the other athletes downplay theirs. That doesn’t necessarily say anything about their comparative tolerance for pain, but it does say something about the mindset of those athletes.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

It didn’t change when I was 16 either. Waking up at 6 to go to some random town, at 5-6Ã??Ã?º (Celsius) to get beaten by guys 30kg heavier than me was not fun. [/quote]

Yes I was dirty and always built like a cinder block, I perfected the slide tackle and broke a few legs in my day. I even played indoor inter mural in college.

Like anything in life every body is welcome to there opinion, however an opinion that has basis in experience has more merit in my book. [/quote]

Like I always say: opinions are like assholes. Everyone’s got one, but some of them you wouldn’t come near and others you’d come inside of.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The thing about rugby is, as bad-ass as those guys are, they generally throw the ball to someone else to avoid getting tackled. In American football the ball carrier looks to avoid getting tackled obviously, but sometimes they try to run right over guys and they certainly don’t chuck the ball to someone else to avoid getting hit.

Obviously rugby players aren’t tossing the ball to avoid getting hit purely to avoid injury or anything like that. But the distinction should be made that in American football the ball carrier generally does not try to avoid getting tackled to the same extent that they do in rugby. And in rugby almost all tackles are just guys trying to wrap someone up, whereas in football you have guys literally launching themselves right through the ball carrier.

They’re both still bad-ass motherfuckers either way though, and baseball players, American football players and hockey players are all generally tougher and less pansy-like than soccer players. I’ve played all of the aforementioned sports, including varsity soccer for 4 years in high school, and from my anecdotal experience soccer players tend to play up their injuries as much as possible and the other athletes downplay theirs. That doesn’t necessarily say anything about their comparative tolerance for pain, but it does say something about the mindset of those athletes.[/quote]

Okay so American football is more ‘brutal’ than rugby, but is that really a good thing? American football is more action packed - at a cost to the players. Concussions happen in both sports but the type and volume of concussions in American football are borderline deadly as consequence long-term. Studies are coming out showing brain damage even in high-school players and earlier. The NFL really needs to start paying attention to this issue - thats is, if they value ethics anywhere nearly as important as money.

Back to the original topic, did you guys actually watch this? I could only make it through a couple minutes, shit was disgusting. I had just eaten and was about to puke watching the dude with the mohawk. He had his mouth hanging open with like 10 partially chewed hotdogs hanging out. I won’t be able to eat hotdogs for a while.