Hot-Cold Therapy

I’ve come across hot-cold therapy a few times over the years as a method for enhancing recovery. Something about flushing lactic acid I think. However, I’ve never seen references to studies and/or the optimal way/timing for it. What Ive picked up as a habit is in a post-workout shower I start with warm/hot water and finish with the coldest setting.

I’ve heard of athletes using ice cold tubs and alternating back and forth etc. but I was wondering if anyone has looked further into this and can share or point to some info.

[quote]luddini wrote:
I’ve come across hot-cold therapy a few times over the years as a method for enhancing recovery. Something about flushing lactic acid I think. However, I’ve never seen references to studies and/or the optimal way/timing for it. What Ive picked up as a habit is in a post-workout shower I start with warm/hot water and finish with the coldest setting.

I’ve heard of athletes using ice cold tubs and alternating back and forth etc. but I was wondering if anyone has looked further into this and can share or point to some info.[/quote]

There have been many threads on this topic. One finished up not long ago. Go to the search engine and check it out.

I have used hot/cold therapy for a few years now and find that it helps recovery and also speeds healing if you have an injury.

And personally, while I’m sure the extremes work well I have not used those methods.

I simply go from an 80-83 degree pool to a 103 degree hot tub. The difference of 20 to 23 degrees may not seem like much but it makes a very big difference in my training.

I do this about twice to three times per week.

Good luck in your search!

Zeb