Hot Breakfast Shakes

My typical morning shake consists of: milk, whey, casein, flax, frozen blueberries & raspberries. I always drink this while walking to class. However, its starting to get cold out… making it almost unbearable to carry/drink.

Does anyone have any good ideas for hot/warm shakes?

Interesting…I’ve never thought of a warm shake before. Umm…well unless you add something like creamy oats or something, you’re not going to be able to have a thick shake or anything. With the ingredients you listed above, heating it would just turn it into liquid.

So like I said, maybe try blending it with creamy stove top oats or cream of wheat or something if your daily macros allow for the carbs.

I eat some strange things, so occasionally:

1 Scoop Metabolic Drive
1 Scoop Grow! Whey
2-3 Spoons coffee
Warm Milk
Berries
Flax oil

I think the coffee taste great in there.

[quote]gabex wrote:
My typical morning shake consists of: milk, whey, casein, flax, frozen blueberries & raspberries. I always drink this while walking to class. However, its starting to get cold out… making it almost unbearable to carry/drink.

Does anyone have any good ideas for hot/warm shakes?[/quote]

I’m from Indiana, it’s not that cold yet. Although, my family tells me it’s supposed to get down to 35 degrees tonight. Anyway, I use to use hot coffee and mix it with my protein powder. It tasted pretty good with chocolate protein powder. You could just slam down your shake before you leave for class.

[quote]gabex wrote:

Does anyone have any good ideas for hot/warm shakes?[/quote]

If you can’t make the shake warmer, follow it up with a hot cup of green tea or coffee (or heck, just hot water and lemon). I went and bought a nice OXO coffee/tea mug that has a push button seal on it, so that it won’t leak out when I’m carrying it.

I am totally with you guys on the coffee + protein powder + milk mixes. I used to brew these up as a nice post-workout drink before hitting the books to keep me from feeling beat up after a lifting session.

rsg you mentioned mixing in berries, this is interesting. What kind of berries? I have cranberries at home, though they have a very bitter taste unless boiled. I wonder if this would fare well with coffee… Hm.

P+F
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
2 Tablespoons English Cream
Coffee (I use Dominican - AY PAPI!)

P+C
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
Coffee
Half Cup Oats
1-2 tablespoons Nutella

Delicious, nutritious, is life good or what? :slight_smile:

Umm, this might say a lot about me but has anyone else ever made a coffee+protein shake and thrown some Bailey’s in there?

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Umm, this might say a lot about me but has anyone else ever made a coffee+protein shake and thrown some Bailey’s in there?[/quote]

Awesome. Booze at 7am in the morning but you don’t feel guilty as its a workout shake!

To the OP. How’s about 4 scrambled eggs, 2 rashers bacon, 2 tomatos (cooked with the bacon in the frypan), some olive oil, salt & pepper - BLEND THAT SUCKA UP! If its to thick add some milk!

Tell me how it goes… :wink:

[quote]Spry wrote:
Awesome. Booze at 7am in the morning but you don’t feel guilty as its a workout shake!
[/quote]

I never feel guilty about drinking and I owned that 7:AM creative writing class.

I think I’m going to try hot milk, chocolate flavoring, protein, flax, and berries.

Trueprotein.com used to sell those BSL flavor packs. Any idea what happened to them?

2 packs hot chocolate mix
2 scoops chocolate whey
2 cups milk
peanut butter

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Umm, this might say a lot about me but has anyone else ever made a coffee+protein shake and thrown some Bailey’s in there?[/quote]

mmmm Bailey’s, I’d never thought of putting that in my protein before!

Next thing you know, I’ll be throwing in shots of bourbon or cognac or something…staggering into the gym, lol

Heat burns the protein! Keep that in mind before combining with hot products.

just… microwave your shake?

1 part coffee
1 part hot chocolate
4 tbsp organic peanut butter
chocolate whey protein

Mix the hot chocolate and coffee, stir in the peanut butter and microwave if the peanut butter won’t melt.

Then stir in the protein. It tastes great, the peanut butter gives it a somewhat thick consistency and it is warm.

^ theres like no carbohydrates in that, dont you want something more similar to post workout for right in the morning?

like mine is

4 scoops whey
400g raw oats
2 scoops dextrose
frozen berries/cut up fruit

blended up, divided by two, i drink one right away, then the other post workout with creatine

its got fast protein, fast carbs, slow carbs, low fat for faster protein absorbtion, and a buttload of fibre so i dont gardenhose when i take a shit

[quote]schultzie wrote:
^ theres like no carbohydrates in that, dont you want something more similar to post workout for right in the morning?

like mine is

4 scoops whey
400g raw oats
2 scoops dextrose
frozen berries/cut up fruit

blended up, divided by two, i drink one right away, then the other post workout with creatine

its got fast protein, fast carbs, slow carbs, low fat for faster protein absorbtion, and a buttload of fibre so i dont gardenhose when i take a shit[/quote]

Milk has plenty of carbs as does chocolate sauce. I don’t really like oodles of carbs in the morning anyways because the sugars give me stomach aches.

Actually, I diet backwards from most people. At night, a favorite meal is chicken spaghetti with tons of whole wheat pasta, or a full breakfast with whole wheat pancackes or waffles etc. + eggs, sausage or whatever.

I get my carbs/fiber and I avoid a morning stomach ache by having a night time-esque shake when I wake up.

as for shits, I also supplement fiber powder and have a well rounded diet during the rest of the day. Plus I usually shit in the morning so I have an entire day and night of fiber to dump.