Hostile Development of an Offensive Juggernaut

Leg/conditioning stuff 8.2.11

usual warm up

squats with 135 for 20 fast reps 10s rest then 15 then 10 then 5
supersetted with lying hamstring curls on a swiss ball for 15 reps
and split squats on a bench with 135 x8

60seconds rest between rounds i got 3 rounds done

10.2.11 More leg stuff, explosive based workout

dynamic warm up lot of lacrosse ball rolling.

cleans with no eccentric phase.
warm up 40x5 50x5 60x5
work did 5 sets of 5 with 80

10 half squat med ball throws with a 4kg ball

10 box jumps from seated on a bench to a box at chest hieght

5 10 yard sprints from football position

5 20yard sprints from push up position

Level 3 personal training course 3 hour outside workout
warm up

jogging between stations

station included stuff like, team leap frog, hill sprints, bodyweight resistance using the enviroment, stair bounds/jumps, team log challenges with a 60kg log was a good laugh and a great workout.

forgot to upload

11.2.11 training with another RB from the team

warm up

5/3/1 bench with 90, 95 and 100 got 100 for 12 and still had gas left. (5 pullups between every set)

tricep death with 0,1,2,3 boards i used 80 and got 5 on each, very taxing.

1 arm db rows supersetted with PJR pullovers 50kg for the row and 15 reps and 30kg for 10 reps of the pullover

shoulder shocker, front raise with 20kg for 10, to lateral raises with 10’s for 12 and seated cleans with the 10’s for 12

warm up

snatches, warm up 30x5 40x5 50x5 60x6

working 80x5 for 5 sets

push press 60x5 for 5 sets
(5 pullups between each set)

hamstring curls on stab ball (3x12) supersetted with box jumps (3x8)

Warm up

Pin presses warm up 40x5 50x5 60x3
work 80x5 90x5 100x5 * i suck at these, just shows im alot more explosive than strong on the spectrum of things*
(6 pullups between all sets)

shrugs with 140x10 supersetted with barbell curls with 40 for 10 reps 3 sets

explosive push ups on the stab ball (12 reps) supersetted with mountain climber on stab bal for time (1min)

18.2.11 Training at the girlfreinds place so just had a medball 1- plate and a pink band thrown in the car

warm up

alot of lateral step drills with the band around my ankles for glutes

some short lateral starts to mimic stretch/ zone run plays

resisted lateral starts band around a lampost

med bal circuit
slams x8
vertical jump throws x8
push ups on the ball x8
rotational throws x8
reverse lunges /w twist x4 a side 8 total

Practice on sunday was shiiiiiit

worst one for me all season, was just not in the mindset and just kept droppin the ball got lit up twice in O vs D just not a good day at all, i’ll make sure i bounce back with violence tho.

Training today was good, fired up by sunday’s fail.

warm up

hang cleans 40x5 50x5 60x5 70x5 70x5 70x5

mill press 60x5 60x5 60x5 60x5 60x5 ( with sets of 6 pull ups between each)

med ball plyo throws off a stab ball. Lying, back on the ball with straight arms crunch up and throw the ball into the wall as hard as poss.

Right, here is a full break down of the next training cycle.

Max Effort Cycle
WEEK 1 WEEK 2 WEEK 3
SET 1 â?? 55% x 5 SET 1 â?? 62.5% x 3 SET 1 â?? 70% x 1
SET 2 â?? 62.5% x 5 SET 2 â?? 70% x 3 SET 2 â?? 77.5% x 1
SET 3 â?? 70% x 5 SET 3 â?? 77.5% x 3 SET 3 â?? 85% x 1
SET 4 â?? 77.5% x 5 SET 4 â?? 85% x 3 SET 4 â?? 92.5% x 1
SET 5 â?? 85% x 5 SET 5 â?? 92.5% x 3 SET 5 â?? 101% x 1
SET 6 â?? Bonus x5 SET 6 â?? Bonus x 3 SET 6 â?? Bonus x 1

Bonus sets are for if you push put set 5 piss easy so pretty much weâ??re doing a 5/3/1 wave load for each main lift %s are based on your current 1rms

This loading wave applies to both lower and upper max effort days, exercise lists in a min.

Lower Bod max lifts
Stage 1 weeks 1-3 Front Squat
Stage 2 weeks 4-6 High Box Squat above parralel
Stage 3 weeks 7-9 Low Box Squat below parralel
Stage 4 weeks 10-12 Good mornings
Stage 5 weeks 13-15 Barbell Back Squat

Upper Bod max lifts
Stage 1 weeks 1-3 Grip 2 â?? 3 Board Press
Stage 2 weeks 4-6 Grip 2 â?? 2 Board Press
Stage 3 weeks 7-9 Grip 2 â?? Floor Press
Stage 4 weeks 10-12 Grip 3 â?? Bench Press
Stage 5 weeks 13-15 Grip 1 or 2 â?? Bench Press

Grip 3 â?? half a thumb length form the inside smooth [Close]
Grip 2 â?? full thumb length form the inside smooth [Medium]
Grip 1 â?? pinky on the knurl line [Wide]

Dynamic Workouts

These will work on a 3week micro cycle [wave] same as weâ??ve been doing cept the loads will go 50% 55% 60% of your 1rm in their respective weeks. Every 4th week we wonâ??t do and dynamic work, to act as a deload as this macro cycle is 15 weeks long. Through the stages every second week we will make up dynamic loads including bands.

Foam Rolling: !! SUPER FUCKING IMPORTANT!

Warm ups, for my warm up i do the “agile 8” exersises, see link: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html
as he suggests get a foam roller if u don’t have one. bout a fiver off amazon, VERY VERY VERY good investment in injury prevention.

The Above is my training cycle, it mzy look complex but its not too bad. The wave load is what weight you use for each set based on a 1 rep max. So every 3 weeks you should be hitting your current if not a new 1 rep max. These stregnth gains are dependant on diet.
As if u dont recover/eat well enough you wont make the gains. Every 3 weeks you change the main exersise. So eg/ the first 3 weeks on the Max Effort lower day you would be doing front squats.
I’ll explain the dynamic ones in a sec. So a typical workout week would look like.

Mon: Max Effort Upper
Tues: Dynamic Lower
Wed: conditioning
Thurs:Dynamic Upper
Fri: Max Effort Lower [Try to leave at least 2 day between max effort days if you can’t make this schedual.]

Every 4th week take out the dynamic workouts, as a deload to let your body recover.

Dynamic Training, this is where we will build the explosiveness!!!

Dynamic method is pretty much using a lighter weight [as said above 50,55,60 depending on the week] but moving it as FAST as possible. The dynamic exersises will ALWAYS! be squats for lower, bench for upper.
so moving the weight as fast as possible with good form, this builds power, and the set rep scheme MUST be kept.

Squat: 10 sets of 2 reps

Bench: 8 sets of 3 reps

A good indicator of bar speed is the weights should make a clink sound at the top

then just include accesory work as normal. i’ll explain acc work next.

accessory work is pretty much exersises based around improving the main movments, bench/squat and general muscle growth
So on upper days you want to choose one exersise for each of these body parts, triceps, lats, rear delts and core as these are the major muscles envolved in benching. Notice there isnt any chest stuff. It is really not needed.

Lower you wanna work a unilateral move so any single leg stuff, a hamstring specific ex lower back move like hyperextension, reverse hypers or deadlifts, and core again.

Keep the reps of these exersises in the 6-10 range, however if 10 reps iis fairly easy, up the weight. To progress these you want to aim for more reps so if one week you do an exersise for 6, aim to get 7 reps the next week and so on till you hit 10 without failure then up the weight

Training 28.2.11

usual warm up, iv started adding in shoulder and back band traction to the start of this and it makes me feel so much better for it.

3 board press warmed up with full rom 40/50/60 for 5 each
then hit the board. 80x5 90x5 100x5 110x5 115x5 115x5 did pullups for 5 between each set so 45 total pullups.

pjr pullovers 3sets with 30kg for 8reps

bent over rows 70x8 these wear shit as my back feels like lead after training on sunday.

band pullaparts pink band 3 sets of 20+

training 1.3.11

usual warm up

Banded DE squats x2 green bands on 60kgs so about 180kg at the top and 100/120 tthe bottom
10 sets of 2 fast reps.

SLDLs 140x8 for 2 sets then kinda baile don them cause i couldnt get any feel in my hammies even taking them to the floor so will try them on a raised platform next week.

manual GHRs with a barbell to hold me. 3x8 SS with reverse hypers on the stability ball 3x15 with the last rep a 10second hold

ab pikes on the stability ball 3x10-15

Trainig 3.2.11

De Bench, usual warm up. Problem witht he bands i was gonna use, they’ve become very stiff over winter (thats what she said) so i had to change it up, just did it with suspended kettlebells on chains. If anyone has problems with holding tightness and stability on the bench this exersise will help truckloads.

3x8 with 70kg with wide grip pulls inbetween.

french press 40kg for 3 sets of 8 ss with barbell curls same weight/rep scheme

seated row 80kg 3x10. Dont like close grip rows i find it gets alot more bicep doing the work than my back, wide grip is fine tho.

[quote]Undermost wrote:
training 1.3.11

usual warm up

Banded DE squats x2 green bands on 60kgs so about 180kg at the top and 100/120 tthe bottom
10 sets of 2 fast reps.

SLDLs 140x8 for 2 sets then kinda baile don them cause i couldnt get any feel in my hammies even taking them to the floor so will try them on a raised platform next week.

manual GHRs with a barbell to hold me. 3x8 SS with reverse hypers on the stability ball 3x15 with the last rep a 10second hold

ab pikes on the stability ball 3x10-15[/quote]

For SDLs try slowing down your warm up sets. Or squeeze your hams before you do the sets. Or perhaps it’s a technique issue in which case invest in a belt.

[quote]Bambi wrote:
For SDLs try slowing down your warm up sets. Or squeeze your hams before you do the sets. Or perhaps it’s a technique issue in which case invest in a belt.
[/quote]

the sdls are acc work so i dont warm up for em really. i have a powerlifting belt but i dont use it for any deadlifting cause it gets in the way when i go down to set up. possibly a pre exhaust of one of the other muscles involved may allow hammies to do more of the work?

Rushed leg work as had shit to do and we had 3 guys in training so it took alot longer than normal.

warm up.

Did squats for the first time in a while.
warm up with barx10 40x10 40x10 60x5 100x5
working 120x5 140x5 160x3 and hit 180 for a comfy single and called it as i went wide for the 180 and my right hip took a beating. stupid move i know but i used to squat fairly wide i guess i just pushed it a bit too far after such a downtime

acc work, front squat iso holds 3 sets of 45seconds with 120

ab pikes on the stabb ball 3x15

Sunday practice was good, made some good improvments, reached some pre set personal goals. SLight problem is our starting 5 RB’s are now cut down to 3 due to injury and the season hasn’t begun yet! it’s gonna be a hard season.

Training 8.3.11

DE legs,

warm up

Banded box squats base weight 80kg, x2 green bands at 60kg stretch each. so about 100-120 at the bottom and 220ish at the top.

10 sets of 2 reps, these felt good and the weights were clinking at the top very hard to get going fast tho.

3x10-12 weighted hip extensions with 60kg bar ss with reverse hypers on the swiss ball, 3 up 3 down tempo.

dragon pikes for abs 3x15

De Bench

warm up

Banded bench, just doubled up a blue band which is normally 40kg at stretch so idk if it would be around 80ish at the top

8 sets of 3. pull ups between sets

pjr pullovers with 40kg 3 sets of 8-12 reps SS with close grip pull downs, 4second eccentric and 2 second pause at the top and bottom for stretch and contraction.

band pull aparts ~15 with a 10 second hold at the end of each set. 3 sets