T Nation

Hossein Reza Zadeh


Hossein Reza Zadeh (Persian: حسین رضازاده ‎ , born May 12, 1978) is an Iranian weightlifter and the current world record holder in the sport. He was born in Ardabil, Iran, the third of seven children. At the age of 15, he took up weightlifting after being encouraged by his gym teacher.

Nicknamed “The Iranian Hercules,” he currently holds the world records in weightlifting’s super heavyweight class in the snatch, clean and jerk and total. He is the first Iranian athlete to have won two Olympic gold medals. He is also one of Iran’s most noted celebrities, frequently appearing on television and in the news; his wedding, which was held in the holy city of Mecca, in February of 2003 was broadcast live on television in Iran.

In 2002 he was voted the “Champion of Champions” of Iran and was one of 16 Iranian athletes granted a badge of courage from Iranian President Mohammad Khatami. As a reward for setting a world record at the 2003 World Weightlifting Championships in Vancouver, Canada, Mohammad Khatami awarded him 600 million rials (a little more than 60,000 USD) to buy a house in Tehran. Turkey has offered him substantial sums of money to switch nationality, but he turned down her offers.

This was dramatically illustrated when Olympic gold medallist, Naim S?leymanoğlu (himself a Bulgarian Turkish migrant) asked Reza Zadeh to renounce his Iranian nationality, accept Turkish citizenship and join the Turkish Olympic team.

After his spectacular performance, he was offered by Turkey?s Weightlifting Federation sum of US$20,000 a month, as well as a luxury villa and US$10 million reward if he switches flag and wins gold for the country at the 2004 Athens Olympics. He responded to Suleimanoghlu?s offer with the following statement: “I am an Iranian and love my country and people.” He had similar offers from the Republic of Azerbaijan but declined these offers as well.

He surprised many at the 2000 Summer Olympics, earning a gold medal and breaking the decades-old monopoly on the gold by the Soviet Union and then Russia. His gold medal was the first since 1960 by a non-Soviet or non-Russian athlete in the over 105 kg class at a non boycotted Games.

He has since broken his own records on a number of occasions leading up to his world record 263.5 kg (580.9 pounds) lift in the clean and jerk at the 2004 Summer Olympics. His total (both lifts combined) at the 2004 Summer Olympics of 472.5 kg was 17.5 kg more than silver medalist Viktors Scerbatihs. He is the current IWF World Weightlifter of the Year, and was shortlisted for weightlifter of the century.

Reza Zadeh’s supremacy in the superheavyweight class has been virtually unchallenged in recent years. However, although he has not been pushed hard by his competition, he is still in pursuit of the all-time best IWF marks of 216 kg snatch (Antonio Krastev, 1987), 266 kg clean and jerk (Leonid Taranenko, 1988), and 476 kg total (Taranenko, 1988). Even though they exceed Reza Zadeh’s marks, these lifts are no longer the official world records due to the IWF’s restructuring of weight classes.

As of 2003, Reza Zadeh was 185 cm tall and weighed 155.9 kg
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3956404646590357506

Everyone knows Reza Zadeh success is due to his rich diet of live children.

580 clean and jerk clip

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-898677038915914693&q=clean+and+jerk

Ridiculous. Props to him for not wanting to switch nationality. Slops for being from Iran.

More clips…
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1357323

An amazing athlete and a role model in nationalism. I respect him on both fronts regardless of his country of origin.

You guys would be surprised with Iranians (Persians). 99% of them hate their government and are really cool people. They actually love Americans over there.

I know a guy who wrestled at Oklahoma State who went over there a few years back with the American wrestling team and said people everywhere gave them standing ovations and everyone wanted their autograph.

Their government, a totalitarian dictatorship, is not representative of their people. Their pretty cool for the most part.

[quote]EatSleepLift wrote:
Ridiculous. Props to him for not wanting to switch nationality. Slops for being from Iran. [/quote]

What is wrong with Iran??

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:
You guys would be surprised with Iranians (Persians). 99% of them hate their government and are really cool people. They actually love Americans over there.

I know a guy who wrestled at Oklahoma State who went over there a few years back with the American wrestling team and said people everywhere gave them standing ovations and everyone wanted their autograph.

Their government, a totalitarian dictatorship, is not representative of their people. Their pretty cool for the most part.[/quote]

That is the impression I got from an Iranian econ. professor in college. NPR reported last week that Iranian college students protested a visit by their president. Apparently those students don’t like him any more than our government.

[quote]EatSleepLift wrote:
Ridiculous. Props to him for not wanting to switch nationality. Slops for being from Iran. [/quote]

Uhh… What’s wrong with being Iranian? It’s not like he chose it or that being Iranian makes him bad/good/funny/asshole.

Do you like it when people generalize about Americans? He likely feels the same way. He is one of the strongest men on the planet. “props” for that.

-chris

I do not want to talk much about politics, but I strongly believe that there are a lot of misconceptions with the Iranian Government. Iranian people are probably the most proud people in the world and the most patriotic as well.

He is a great athlete.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

It’s amazing how much non-govermental folks that travel outside their home country (athlete, students, tourists, whatever) end up having to answer for what their governments do. Ironic, considering that most people, regardless of where they come from, are typically less than pleased with the performance of the government back home.

I’ve encountered this as an American on vacation and I’ve seen it done many times to foreigners in the States. Anyhoo- agreed, Reza is a bad mamajama.

I have seen that clip a million times and I am always struck by how easy the made that lift - particularly the clean. He cleaned that weight with EASE. Makes me wonder what he’s cleaned in training. I’ve heard over 270 kg., but you never know what’s true and what’s not. I would not doubt it, though. I’d just like to SEE him hit a limit clean.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
It’s amazing how much non-govermental folks that travel outside their home country (athlete, students, tourists, whatever) end up having to answer for what their governments do. Ironic, considering that most people, regardless of where they come from, are typically less than pleased with the performance of the government back home.

I’ve encountered this as an American on vacation and I’ve seen it done many times to foreigners in the States. Anyhoo- agreed, Reza is a bad mamajama. [/quote]

I was in London on business last year and without thinking packed a USA Weightlifting T-shirt to train in. I found a nice little gym and trained there for a few weeks. Everyone was really cool until the day I wore that T-shirt. A guy I’d not met on previous days got into me about Bush and American ‘world-domination’ and all that. I finally had to remind him that I am not George Bush, I don’t make military or political decisions. I’m just a lifter from the US training at his gym. Still didn’t shut him up, though.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
I have seen that clip a million times and I am always struck by how easy the made that lift - particularly the clean. He cleaned that weight with EASE. Makes me wonder what he’s cleaned in training. I’ve heard over 270 kg., but you never know what’s true and what’s not. I would not doubt it, though. I’d just like to SEE him hit a limit clean. [/quote]

i have always wondered what he could clean also. I would think well over 600, but like you said, hard to guess without seeing him do it.

Yea, he can clean over 600 lbs. He did it in the last olympics, but he was unable to jerk it.

[quote]titopuente wrote:
Yea, he can clean over 600 lbs. He did it in the last olympics, but he was unable to jerk it.[/quote]

I don’t remember him attempting that? Maybe I missed it. I remember Weller taking 275 (?) going for the win a few years back. Do you have video or anything on it?

Can you imagine what this animal could deadlift?

Chemerkin took 272.5 in the 2000 olympics in his last attempt but he missed it out front badly on the 2nd pull

im sure rezazadeh could clean upwards of 600lbs considering i have never seen him have a remotely tough clean, ever. his jerk is clearly the limiting factor and if he gets it up more before the next olympics he could put up some absurd numbers.

[quote]bomber221 wrote:
Chemerkin took 272.5 in the 2000 olympics in his last attempt but he missed it out front badly on the 2nd pull

im sure rezazadeh could clean upwards of 600lbs considering i have never seen him have a remotely tough clean, ever. his jerk is clearly the limiting factor and if he gets it up more before the next olympics he could put up some absurd numbers. [/quote]

That’s RIGHT! Ah…the memory fades.