Horror movies (revisited)

I’ve always been a horror movie buff, and I just saw two very good ones (and one that was horrible). I ordered Suspiria on ebay for dirt cheap, and it just arrived yesterday. I’ve been wanting to see it for a year now and finally the wait is over. Pretty eerie stuff, in particular the music. I also have Trilogy of Terror on the way as well…from what I hear it’s quite good.

I also saw Identity over the weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised, although I had to watch it three times to really figure out what was going on, and I’m still not sure I’ve got everything figured out. If I understand correctly, the story we saw in the movie never happened, but the people in the hotel were simply his multiple personalities. The little boy was the personality that “took his body over” and dictated the real killings…is that correct? I’m a little slow at these things sometimes.

Finally, how bad did House of 1000 Corpses suck? I really thought this one had potential, but I was sorely mistaken. Anyone else think this movie was ridiculous?

I had a student worker who was just sooooo looking forward to House of 1000 Corpses. And was so dissapointed. I won’t waste my money on that; there’s so many other good horror movies out there.

BUT, there are very different styles or forms of “horror” movies. Slasher, psychological, gore, etc.

Something like “The Others”. Even “The Ring” (US remake). However, “JAWS” just shows what can be done by not entirely revealing to the audience the source of all that horror. “Alien” did the same thing, to beautiful effect. Another one is “The Haunting” (the 60’s original; NOT the 90’s suckfest, even though the set design was gorgeous).

“Suspiria” is a classic in that it really took the term, “slasher flick” to some heights. Dario Argento (father of Asia Argento), was certainly ahead of his time. And he’s still makin’ horror films.

Back to the different variations: you could even add “Deliverence” to this genre. It’s just a different type of horror. As is “The Exorcist”, “The Thing” (both versions), “Wait Until Dark” (love this movie), “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” and then we can’t ever forget, “Dawn of the Dead”. So, the definition of “horror” can be broad.

But yes, “Trilogy of Horror”. LOVE that one, especially that doll (the story with Karen Black). Oh. My. God.

Monty, next time: post a spoiler alert. You’ve just ruined the best thing about “Identity”. That plot twist. I hope people still rent this gem.

Damn, I didn’t even think about that (slaps hand with ruler). I guess I figured I was about the last person on the planet to see this movie. My sincere apologies to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

I watched “Baby Jane” years ago when I used to work the graveyard shift and had a night off…it was on at like 2 in the morning. I have to admit, it freaked me out a little.

“BUT YOU ARE, BLANCHE…YOU ARE!!!”

House of 1000 corpses was the suckiest suck of a suckin’ movie I’ve ever seen. Thats how bad it sucked. Not even the gratuitous ass shot of the hot girl in chaps could have saved that movie.

I thought House of a 1000 Corpses was kinda cool. Not gonna win any awards, but it’s like what was said for A Tale in Mexico, gotta throw out your ideas of reality and just enjoy.

I saw Cabin Fever tonight. From the previews I didn’t realize this was a low budget film. I was very impressed, and liked it. There was actually a part that made me jump(Which hasn’t happened since I was ohh… 8 or so)

I suggest if you can get in a theatre with EXCELLENT sound, go see Cabin Fever.

Next up is Jeepers Creepers 2. Don’t expect it to be great, but should be fun. That’s all I really ask for in a movie anymore, fun.

****SPOILER (for Identity)

Not that you need it now thanks to Monty…(wink wink)

You know what? I wasn’t that big of a fan of Identity. I went and saw it in the theater and although it was alright, I didn’t leave the theater thinking, “wow, that was an amazing movie.” To be honest, I kinda figured it was the kid who did the killing about half way through the movie. But it was a “surprise” ending and had a neat plot twist.

I was contemplating going to see Cabin Fever, but with Underworld coming out this weekend, I might have to put that on the back burner.

As for horror movies. I agree with Patricia that you can divide horror movies into different “genres”. As far as the scariest movies I have seen…The Shining and The Ring hands down. They are more of the psychological horror flicks, of which I am more of a fan of rather than the “slasher” variety. I saw a movie a few months back that would fit into this category. It was called Session 9 and it stared David Caruso and that guy (I think his last name is Lucas) who was in A Beautiful Mind, Sweethome Alabama, etc)…about a cleaning crew who are hired to clean out this abandoned “nut house”. I thought it was pretty creepy!!!

What about Mulholland Drive? That kind of had a “thriller” element to it, but by no means a horror movie.

Event Horizon
The Others
Glitter are some other scary movies that come to mind