Horror Movie Thread

While not a “movie” I recently finished “Stranger Things” and that show was excellent. Good thread idea. I’m always looking for some good horror flicks this time of year.

1 Like

I thought Pontypool was really scary in the beginning when your imagination takes a huge part.

1 Like

I watched Train to Busan on Rainierland, a streaming site.

I loved this show. Although it was a horror, it also put me in mind of Stephen King’s “Stand By Me”. Maybe because it was the age of the boys. They’re still kids but on the cusp of adulthood.

Ok, so you have a BLACK RAM struttin’ around your yard like a boss and you blame your starving pubescent kid when satanic shit starts flying instead of having steaks for dinner? LMAO!!!

You told me to watch it because of the “boiled fat of an unbaptized child” parts didn’t you hahaha?

Can’t disagree on Let the Right One In. An even better book.
Loved “Lights Out.” First ten minute section is great and the rest was still really good.
I like some old Eighties stuff as well. For a total popcorn movie “Night of the Creeps” is a classic. I’d also plug for Phantasm and the Re-Animator. Definitely great Friday night movies.

1 Like

yup. Definitely great. Awful sequel, though.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Night of the Living Dead anyone? The classic classic!

Anyone seen VHS? I thought it was pretty good for one of the shitty ones you just haphazardly order on Netflix.

VHS 2 was actually better. The third (VHS Viral) was a waste. Going with random Netflix finds, ABCs of Death had some great short films. The sequel, not so much. Each one is a collection of 26 shorts from different directors based on a letter of the alphabet. The director got a letter of the alphabet and could do a story related to anything that starts with that letter. D is for Dogfight, L is for Libido, Q is for Quack, etc.

And I personally rank Diary of the Dead just above the original NOTLD. The original will always hold a special place in my heart, but the first person shaky-cam of Diary was used really well.

Exit Humanity is a great under-rated zombie flick, set shortly after the civil war.

Scared the shit out of me as a kid. I’m not sure if I’ll enjoy it very much if I watch it now though. Same with Fulci’s Zombi. The original Dawn of the Dead (the cut with the original soundtrack) is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Yeah I couldn’t believe how technically accomplished some of the segments were.

wouldst thou like the taste of butter? Wouldst thou like to live… deliciously?

I’m going to have to say that I didn’t really like the movie Let The Right One In.

I enjoyed the book, and that kind of ruined the movie for me. The book goes into way more detail (the way that books always do) about the interpersonal stuff between Marcus and Ellie; Ellie and her keeper; Marcus and his mother; etc, etc; whereas the film didn’t explore much of that, which left you with a fairly boring horror movie, in my opinion.

Hahaha!!! Shit, if I had a family like that I would have been off to the crossroads so fast I would have been playing sell out shred concerts in Japan by the early nineties!

Seriously, it was an immensely well made movie.

Same. But that’s why I loved Let Me In because of the focus on mood and the emotional elements rather than the plot and character motivations.

Agreed the book was better. neat that he slipped in an update in another book (“Let the Old Dreams Die”). His book Harbour was very good as well.

Some of my recommendations.

La Casa Muda, a Uruguayan horror flick that was supposedly filmed in one continuous 88 min take. What makes this different from other horror flicks is that it doesn’t use the typical elements of horror, say like, gore, scenes that are meant to startle you or create an ambiance of utter doom. What it does really well is keep you in suspense. In my case I don’t think I’ve ever been so tense watching a movie before.

Evil Dead (2013) I really enjoyed this flick. I didn’t see the original but I thought that everything that makes a great horror movie great was in this film. A foreboding ambiance deep in the woods, coupled with demonic possession and with just enough blood and gore to make it really entertaining.

Some of you have mentioned the film Mama. I thought it was okay, I guess being a Guillermo Del Toro work, I was expecting a bit more. Now, if you’re a Del Toro fan, I suggest checking out an older horror flick he did back in 2001. It’s called The Devils Backbone.

Some of you have also mentioned some of the Rec movies. I haven’t seen all of them yet, I have seen Rec 3 which I really enjoyed. Rec 4 friggin’ sucked!!!

Saw this morning that the trailer for the last (?) Phantasm is due out. Apparently, this was Angus’ last performance.

1 Like

I totally forgot: Wolfen, An American Werewolf in London, and The Howling. And an all time classic: 1982’s “Alone in the Dark.” Scared me witless as a kid.

1 Like

The Howling had one of the most kickass endings ever lol.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-koz9LRQHIQ