T Nation

Hormones Way out of Wack? Help

Ok. Ive been working out since january 511 255lbs Male 32. Ok Im busted im posting in this forum and it is for 35+.

Anyhow, I got my weight down to 185, 16%bf healthy diet. However, there are some things that just arent right.

Long story short, I got my bloodwork done…

Here are the results. Its rather depressing.

LD 274 (high out of range) reference range 100-220 u/l
FSH 1.1 (low) 1.6-8.0mIU/mL
Prolactin 3.5 (in range) 2.0-18.0 ng/ml
Testoosterone, Total 189 (out of range low) 241-827 ng/dl
Estradol 29 (inrange) 13-54 pg/mL

My urologist game me a script for clomid…Im confused…

My blood work came back similar to yours and my doctor offered me the same option, apparently clomid can stimulate LH production, but im certainly not an expert, im sure ksman will chime in and he is way more familiar with this than i am.

[quote]Love2Dip wrote:
Ok. Ive been working out since january 511 255lbs Male 32. Ok Im busted im posting in this forum and it is for 35+.

Anyhow, I got my weight down to 185, 16%bf healthy diet. However, there are some things that just arent right.

Long story short, I got my bloodwork done…

Here are the results. Its rather depressing.

LD 274 (high out of range) reference range 100-220 u/l
FSH 1.1 (low) 1.6-8.0mIU/mL
Prolactin 3.5 (in range) 2.0-18.0 ng/ml
Testoosterone, Total 189 (out of range low) 241-827 ng/dl
Estradol 29 (inrange) 13-54 pg/mL

My urologist game me a script for clomid…Im confused…[/quote]

Insightful.

Your urologist may be respecting a low FSH (with a normal prolactin), which is a central/pitutiary failure.
A brief course of clomid–while uncomfortable for you–may correct the problem, or serve as a provocative test. Will he check labs a couple weeks later?

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
My blood work came back similar to yours and my doctor offered me the same option, apparently clomid can stimulate LH production, but im certainly not an expert, im sure ksman will chime in and he is way more familiar with this than i am.[/quote]

Well how did it work for you? Man with levels this low, im curious if Im fertile?

LD aka LDH:

This enzyme is all over your body. If you work a large number of muscle groups to soreness, this will spike. Also from bruising or inflammation - including infections.

Same can happen to AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT)

None of these enzymes are specific to the liver. High levels mean that the cause should be determined. These are called “liver enzymes”. These will go up from drug, alcohol abuse as well as other pathologies.

My wife was doing resistance training until every muscle group was sore and she had trouble getting up to walk for a while. She kept that up for a few weeks and her LD was 446 [100-25].

Love2Dip

You also PM’d:
“”“I started working out in January 25, within 3 months I was down 57 lbs…Im down another 10 six months out. My levels are so low im worried there is no chance at children.”""

When did this start?
Any thoughts on timing of T vs weight loss?
Timing of T loss vs any blows to the head?
Is your diet extreme fat free?
What are your cholesterol numbers?
Do you ingest EFAs - fish oil?
What supplements?
Any stimulants? -ephedra or similar

What medicines, OTC and otherwise? PM that if you would rather.

Clomid should not be used long term as TRT is forever. A clomid trial would be of diagnostic value… Do it. If clomid increases HL & FSH, your pituitary and hypothalamus are HPTA functional. If not, you should have your head scoped for problems with the pituitary. If LH and FSH increase and T as well. You have pituitary insufficiency. If LH & FSH increase and T does not, you have testicular failure.

In any case, TRT would work and hCG injections should maintain your testes. If you are concerned about fertility with low hormone levels, have a semen sample examined for quantity and quality of sperm.

How have your testes shrunk now and do the hang low or more pulled up?

TT is very low. That tells you about HPTA output but does not tell you anything about free/bio T. With your prior weight, you may have had a lot of T–E aromatization. Hi T reduces SHBG, low T will increase SHBG. You want higher range albumin to maintain higher bio T. Check that.

E2=29 may be in range, but with your low T, you are very much estrogen dominant. That can mess up mind and body. Once in this state, HPTA problems may be locked in. Could meds have pushed you to this?

You may have syndrome-X aka metabolic disorder: fat, low T, elevated E, endothelial dysfunction, insulin resistance, increased mortality from all causes. Please post serum glucose lab results. metabolic disorder creates a hormone trap that locks one into that state.

Your TRT/HRT should also include 250iu hCG self injected EOD and Arimidex/anastrozole to get E2 into the lower 20’s. With your E as high as it is now, transdermal T may be bad for you. Injections [self] would work well. You need to inject at least twice a week to avoid T spikes that increase E and SHBG. Some supplemental compounded T cream on your scrotum will increase your DHT if needed. But see what your DHT is after 2-3 months on injections. Transdermal T typically increased DHT quite nicely. You sex organs need DHT for maintenance.

T+AI+hCG

If clomid works, you could then add hCG and anastrozole then later taper off of clomid, all in an effort of trying to get back to normal. That may not be enough to get your T back into the upper quartile. We have seen some 19 and 20 old guys with severe HPTA failure and some were lean. These things happen.

well my levels were actually slightly worse, but i know for sure i am fertile. also, i went with the HCG with an AI option and am 2 weeks in so far. feeling a little better but i am curious to see my bloodwork to know what, if anything, has changed

[quote]Love2Dip wrote:
toughcasey wrote:
My blood work came back similar to yours and my doctor offered me the same option, apparently clomid can stimulate LH production, but im certainly not an expert, im sure ksman will chime in and he is way more familiar with this than i am.

Well how did it work for you? Man with levels this low, im curious if Im fertile?[/quote]