T Nation

Hormone Replacement Therapy & Steroids?

I recently went to my doctor for some blood work and found out that my testosterone levels were nearly non existant. These tests were done at least a year after my last cycle. The doctor put me on Androgel as a hormone replacement.

It seems to be working great, except its a pain in the ass and sticky as hell. The question i need advice on is, does any one know how (or if at all) being on this hormone replacement will affect my next cycle?

im somewhat in the same boat…havent done a cycle yet but test was low as well…ive been on androgel for about two weeks now…cant really say if i feel a difference as i am on various otc supplements as well…

hormone replacment or testosterone replacment therapy IS steroids.

typical applications are androgel or testosterone cyponate which is a longer estered test

typical trt dose of test enth is 250mg per week.
so in that case if you run a test based cycle you would want to stop using the androgel and just run the cycle as normal.and then after continue on the androgel like you are now.

I suspect the reason for the low test was a failed pct from your last cycle.
you did not recover fully yet which caused the low test levels.

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
hormone replacment or testosterone replacment therapy IS steroids.

typical applications are androgel or testosterone cyponate which is a longer estered test

typical trt dose of test enth is 250mg per week.
so in that case if you run a test based cycle you would want to stop using the androgel and just run the cycle as normal.and then after continue on the androgel like you are now.

I suspect the reason for the low test was a failed pct from your last cycle.
you did not recover fully yet which caused the low test levels.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of running them both together? Not that i will but still would like to know.

[quote]pjw630 wrote:
im somewhat in the same boat…havent done a cycle yet but test was low as well…ive been on androgel for about two weeks now…cant really say if i feel a difference as i am on various otc supplements as well…[/quote]

It took me around 3 weeks to a month to really feel a difference. I had to eventually switch to a higher dose after a another blood test. After it kicked in, BELIEVE me it made a world of difference.

[quote]H-D1 wrote:
MaddyD wrote:
hormone replacment or testosterone replacment therapy IS steroids.

typical applications are androgel or testosterone cyponate which is a longer estered test

typical trt dose of test enth is 250mg per week.
so in that case if you run a test based cycle you would want to stop using the androgel and just run the cycle as normal.and then after continue on the androgel like you are now.

I suspect the reason for the low test was a failed pct from your last cycle.
you did not recover fully yet which caused the low test levels.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of running them both together? Not that i will but still would like to know.

[/quote]
IMO no advantage or disadvantage
its just running 2 different types of test together you will have a slightly higher amount of hormones floating around.

what I would do personally is drop the androgel,save it refill it like you normaly would ect but run test enth injections.

and then use the androgel as a taper after your cycle and then you can resume at your normal TRT dose after your taper seamlessly

[quote]H-D1 wrote:
MaddyD wrote:
hormone replacment or testosterone replacment therapy IS steroids.

typical applications are androgel or testosterone cyponate which is a longer estered test

typical trt dose of test enth is 250mg per week.
so in that case if you run a test based cycle you would want to stop using the androgel and just run the cycle as normal.and then after continue on the androgel like you are now.

I suspect the reason for the low test was a failed pct from your last cycle.
you did not recover fully yet which caused the low test levels.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of running them both together? Not that i will but still would like to know.

[/quote]

Testosterone is the same regardless of how it is administered.

The way my doc talked he seemed to think it may be a problem in the hypothalamus or pituitary gland, most commonly known. which may be causing this problem. They call it secondary hypogonadism.

I’m no professional, just going off of what they tell me. I’m undergoing further testing to narrow things down. But whatever the problem may be thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

H-D1,

Check the “Over 35 Lifter” forum. They specialize in HRT. Are you using an AI in conjunction with the Androgel? hCG?

Normally these 3 elements form the “tripod” that balances TRT effectively.

Check the other forum out…

[quote]Dynamo Hum wrote:
H-D1,

Check the “Over 35 Lifter” forum. They specialize in HRT. Are you using an AI in conjunction with the Androgel? hCG?

Normally these 3 elements form the “tripod” that balances TRT effectively.

Check the other forum out…[/quote]

No, at this time i am not using anything in conjuction with the androgel. The thing that really sucks is that i am only 26, so i never really thought of checking out the Over 35 Lifter Forum, but i will definetly check that forum out. Thanks for the info.

I would always opt for injections if the luxury was ever given. Androgel seems like bengay to me really. I would just smear that shit on pre-workout on top of the HRT.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I would always opt for injections if the luxury was ever given. Androgel seems like bengay to me really. I would just smear that shit on pre-workout on top of the HRT. [/quote]

My Docs a dick, i mentioned the injections as HRT and he said some shit about abusing it! When i was leaving his office he reminded me bluntly three times that this was to be used for medicinal purposes only! My insurance covers the androgel, so at least thats one plus. I think i’ll hold off a couple more years on the Bengay.

H-D1
I am curious as to what made you decide to get your t-levels tested. you say you have severely low testosterone levels so are able to build muscle and lift good numbers like that?

[quote]montez wrote:
H-D1
I am curious as to what made you decide to get your t-levels tested. you say you have severely low testosterone levels so are able to build muscle and lift good numbers like that?[/quote]

Man, i felt like shit! My libido was non existant, i felt sluggish all the time and slept a lot. Also, i was always a fairly confindent guy, who didnt back down from shit. In my line of work i cannot afford to be sluggish and lacking confidence in my self. Well, i in fact began to feel this way and i consulted my doc.

The first thing he said was that it sounded like my test was low. I also did notice that i was slowly losing muscle mass and strength as well. My wife actually talked me into finally going to see my doc. She noticed the changes in me and it was driving her nuts. (LOW LIBIDO).

Since i have been on the HRT I have nearly fully recovered and feel great. The Libido part of it was kinda like… Getting it up wasn’t a problem but i would rather watch t.v!! Thats some scary shit!! t.v over pussy! I was like WTF!

Did you tell your Doctor that you did a cycle of steroids? They will be able to help you better if you tell them stuff like that.

Ya, i told him but, he acted like it wasn’t a problem. He still seems to think that it has something to do with my pituitary, as i mentioned above. I think some further testing will answer a lot more questions.