Hormone Replacement for Younger Men?

So if you are not taking it upon yourself to get your RT3 and FT3 numbers, what would you like us to do for you? What about prolactin?

Give me your doctors number, I’ll call him and ask him for you…

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
First off I’m 18 years old & have been weightlifting consistently 5 days a week for over a year now. During this time I’ve been highly dedicated never missing a workout & eating very healthy.

I have a typical muscle building diet including lots of lean protein, fruit, veggies, water & supplements such as fish oil, multivitamins & whey protein. But despite all this I have been disappointed in muscle gain & fat loss given my efforts. On top of that I’ve suffered an ongoing lack energy & general feeling of weakness throughout my body.

One day it occurred to me that low testosterone could be the problem, so after looking up the symptoms online & finding matches for quite a few I booked a doctors appointment to get blood work done. The doctor ran a test for total testosterone, thyroid function & a long list of other potential causes.

The results:

Total Testosterone: 15.7 nmol/L (10.0-35.0)

Thyroid Function: 2.70 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)

Obviously both are within the normal range particularly the thyroid function but it’s frustrating to see that my T levels are at the lower end of the spectrum when I’m doing everything I can to boost them to their highest natural levels. I also discussed possible DHEA & growth hormone problems with the doctor but he rejected that idea fairly quickly. With my workouts I’m getting a feeling of what’s the point since I’m seeing little improvement physically & battling constant fatigue.

So since there seems to be some fairly informed people posting here what do you guys make of my results & do I have any realistic chance of getting treatment from a doctor if my symptoms continue?

[/quote]

your overtrained. take it easy for a month. just workout light. keep your muscles active, just don’t push it. No dr. would ever ever ever prescrible trt for someone your age.

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
I should also mention I was tested the correct time in the morning just to clarify. My other symptoms include poor concentration & motivation, abdominal fat, dry hair, dry skin, excessive sweating & occasional hot flashes.

I wish I had more in depth results to give about free test & free t3 & 4 levels but total T & TSH were all he ran hormone wise.

[/quote]

All your symptoms are classic signs of overtraining.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
First off I’m 18 years old & have been weightlifting consistently 5 days a week for over a year now. During this time I’ve been highly dedicated never missing a workout & eating very healthy.

I have a typical muscle building diet including lots of lean protein, fruit, veggies, water & supplements such as fish oil, multivitamins & whey protein. But despite all this I have been disappointed in muscle gain & fat loss given my efforts. On top of that I’ve suffered an ongoing lack energy & general feeling of weakness throughout my body.

One day it occurred to me that low testosterone could be the problem, so after looking up the symptoms online & finding matches for quite a few I booked a doctors appointment to get blood work done. The doctor ran a test for total testosterone, thyroid function & a long list of other potential causes.

The results:

Obviously both are within the normal range particularly the thyroid function but it’s frustrating to see that my T levels are at the lower end of the spectrum when I’m doing everything I can to boost them to their highest natural levels. I also discussed possible DHEA & growth hormone problems with the doctor but he rejected that idea fairly quickly. With my workouts I’m getting a feeling of what’s the point since I’m seeing little improvement physically & battling constant fatigue.

So since there seems to be some fairly informed people posting here what do you guys make of my results & do I have any realistic chance of getting treatment from a doctor if my symptoms continue?

[/quote]

your overtrained. take it easy for a month. just workout light. keep your muscles active, just don’t push it. No dr. would ever ever ever prescrible trt for someone your age. [/quote]

Do you ever read past the first post before replying? Or at least skim some of the pertinent info like, I dunno, say the DATE of the post…the OP was in July 2011 genius…great advice…he is dealing with a whole other set of issues now, which is NOT overtraining…

Your presence as one of the dumbest posters on the T-Nation message boards is not needed here…move along

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:

The results:

[/quote]

your overtrained. take it easy for a month. just workout light. keep your muscles active, just don’t push it. No dr. would ever ever ever prescrible trt for someone your age. [/quote]

Do you ever read past the first post before replying? Or at least skim some of the pertinent info like, I dunno, say the DATE of the post…the OP was in July 2011 genius…great advice…he is dealing with a whole other set of issues now, which is NOT overtraining…

Your presence as one of the dumbest posters on the T-Nation message boards is not needed here…move along
[/quote]

Dude, I’ve forgotten more than you will ever know. I was simply replying to the first post. dumbest posters, lol. yet, im probably the biggest and strongest guy here, BY FAR!!!

Dude, I’ve forgotten more than you will ever know. I was simply replying to the first post. dumbest posters, lol. yet, im probably the biggest and strongest guy here, BY FAR!!! [/quote]

This is not GAL, SAMA, or any of the other forums you are used to trolling…your trolly banter and idiotic remarks will not be tolerated in this forum with so much at stake in people’s health…you are not welcome here, you know little to nothing about hormones, you are incapable of following even the most basic of forum etiquette, and you do not even bother to read more than one post, which had already been rectified, before offering your poor advice…

Please, for the benefit of all involved, show some decency and show yourself to the door

yet, im probably the biggest and strongest guy here, BY FAR!!! [/quote]

You are bragging about being the biggest and strongest guy in a forum dedicated to helping men restore testosterone levels? Even if it were true (I doubt it), that is just utterly pathetic…do you also go into children’s burn wards claiming to have healthier skin? Your stupidity knows no bounds.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Dude, I’ve forgotten more than you will ever know. I was simply replying to the first post. dumbest posters, lol. yet, im probably the biggest and strongest guy here, BY FAR!!! [/quote]

This is not GAL, SAMA, or any of the other forums you are used to trolling…your trolly banter and idiotic remarks will not be tolerated in this forum with so much at stake in people’s health…you are not welcome here, you know little to nothing about hormones, you are incapable of following even the most basic of forum etiquette, and you do not even bother to read more than one post, which had already been rectified, before offering your poor advice…

Please, for the benefit of all involved, show some decency and show yourself to the door[/quote]

You think an 18 yr old should even be in this “thread?” Comeon now. If an 18 yr old has low test levels, you don’t think being overworked could have anything to do with it? Whether or not he clarified things in other posts, means nothing. The fact is, a kid, only out of diapers for 15 or so years, shouldn’t be in a thread about trt.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

You are bragging about being the biggest and strongest guy in a forum dedicated to helping men restore testosterone levels? Even if it were true (I doubt it), that is just utterly pathetic…do you also go into children’s burn wards claiming to have healthier skin? Your stupidity knows no bounds.[/quote]

What i find utterly insane, is you guys even trying to help a kid regarding a problem that young dudes simply don’t have. If a guy his age has low test, all he needs is rest. Thyroid problem? at freaken 18, are you kidding me.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

You are bragging about being the biggest and strongest guy in a forum dedicated to helping men restore testosterone levels? Even if it were true (I doubt it), that is just utterly pathetic…do you also go into children’s burn wards claiming to have healthier skin? Your stupidity knows no bounds.[/quote]

What i find utterly insane, is you guys even trying to help a kid regarding a problem that young dudes simply don’t have. If a guy his age has low test, all he needs is rest. Thyroid problem? at freaken 18, are you kidding me. [/quote]

What is so wrong about helping someone? I think it is awesone having a forum like this where people help each other. I know in this day and age this is uncommon.

You might think young adults are perfectly healthy and normal. But if that was the case childrens hospitals would be empty.

I had a friend who passed away at the age of 15. Poor kid had leukemia who would have thought at 15.

Not everybody is blessed with perfect health and genetics.

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

What i find utterly insane, is you guys even trying to help a kid regarding a problem that young dudes simply don’t have. If a guy his age has low test, all he needs is rest. Thyroid problem? at freaken 18, are you kidding me. [/quote]

What is so wrong about helping someone? I think it is awesone having a forum like this where people help each other. I know in this day and age this is uncommon.

You might think young adults are perfectly healthy and normal. But if that was the case childrens hospitals would be empty.

I had a friend who passed away at the age of 15. Poor kid had leukemia who would have thought at 15.

Not everybody is blessed with perfect health and genetics.[/quote]

Ok, I regress. you’re right. But, a thyroid problem isn’t a life threatening issue. And I’m quite sure, other things can cause a hyper active thyroid, other than a medical problem requiring medication. dr’s are fast to prescribe dangerous, side effects laden drugs.

Ok, I regress. you’re right. But, a thyroid problem isn’t a life threatening issue. And I’m quite sure, other things can cause a hyper active thyroid, other than a medical problem requiring medication. dr’s are fast to prescribe dangerous, side effects laden drugs. [/quote]

If you want to discuss this, I will, but not in this thread. Start up a new thread about it and stop hijacking the OP. We will continue discussion there if you are so inclined.

I agree there appears to be little concern with this poster’s hormone levels–no one is recommending drugs, but obviously something is causing OP to feel the way he is, so we will try to help him uncover it. That’s just waht we do here.

Ok so a new doctor again. Heres my results.

Free T4:15.0 pmol/L (10.0-19.0)
TSH:4.43 mIU/L (0.50-4.00)
Free T3: 6.0 pmol/L (3.5-6.5)

Cortisol:724 nmol/L (119-618)

Prolactin:1139 mIU/L (45-375)

Urine Iodine: 1717 nmol/L >787 No deficiency

Reverse T3: 720 pmol/L (140-1200)

Freaked out about how high the prolactin is.

So according to the Stop The Thyroid Madness calculator I have Reverse T3 Dominance. Ive given up coffee & started taking Phosphatidylserine to combat my high cortisol.

Your TSH is swinging wildly…this points to Hashimoto’s…you need to get the two thyroid antibody tests to rule out or confirm.

Your cortisol and prolactin are again elevated. Did you jack off or have sex within 12 hours of this test,c ausing increased prolactin, like you did for your last prolactin test?

You should look at getting a pituitary MRI to rule out prolactin secreting andenoma (or TSH or ACTH secreting ones).

Also look at disease states that could be explaining your high cortisol, as it is a stress reaction (though if you have an andenoma that would be the reason). Do you not get kidney/liver/blood markers done with your bloodwork? ANy of those out of range?

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
So according to the Stop The Thyroid Madness calculator I have Reverse T3 Dominance. Ive given up coffee & started taking Phosphatidylserine to combat my high cortisol.[/quote]

STTM should be called share the thyroid madness, Rt3 calculator is a crock. <20 you have rt3 dominance. What a pile of shit. Its up to the skill of the practioner to make the finally call. I have seen people with ratio of 10:1 and feel prefectly fine. If rt3 is elevated then you need to find out why not go taking t-3 only trying to lowering which in many cases I have dealt with it only back fires.

Thyroid Antibodies: Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase 45 kIU/L (<60)
Anti-Thyroglobulin: < 30 kIU/L (<60)

I held out for 3 days before my prolactin bloodwork. Liver enzymes were elevated.

[quote]Hardasnails wrote:

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
So according to the Stop The Thyroid Madness calculator I have Reverse T3 Dominance. Ive given up coffee & started taking Phosphatidylserine to combat my high cortisol.[/quote]

STTM should be called share the thyroid madness, Rt3 calculator is a crock. <20 you have rt3 dominance. What a pile of shit. Its up to the skill of the practioner to make the finally call. I have seen people with ratio of 10:1 and feel prefectly fine. If rt3 is elevated then you need to find out why not go taking t-3 only trying to lowering which in many cases I have dealt with it only back fires. [/quote]

You may be right about the range but it’s not like mine came back 19.5, it was 8.3. If you read the main article at STTM on Reverse T3 you will see they recommend other options before starting someone on T3 only.

Can you give an example of T3 backfiring? Are you referring to people taking high doses or the slow release at low doses?

[quote]Hardasnails wrote:

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:

STTM should be called share the thyroid madness, Rt3 calculator is a crock. <20 you have rt3 dominance. What a pile of shit. Its up to the skill of the practioner to make the finally call. I have seen people with ratio of 10:1 and feel prefectly fine. If rt3 is elevated then you need to find out why not go taking t-3 only trying to lowering which in many cases I have dealt with it only back fires. [/quote]

Interested to know why taking t3 is a bad thing?

[quote]JamieC23 wrote:
Thyroid Antibodies: Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase 45 kIU/L (<60)
Anti-Thyroglobulin: < 30 kIU/L (<60)

I held out for 3 days before my prolactin bloodwork. Liver enzymes were elevated.

[/quote]

I also thought Hashi’s when I saw your results, but your antibodies are not high enough.

As mentioned earlier an MRI of your head is warranted and you should probably look at getting one done.

Your tsh certainly is all over the shop. I guess you could look at getting TSI also.