T Nation

Hormone Levels Checked?

Hey All,
I want to find out what my male hormone levels are.To save on cost, I'm going to use an independent lab that I can get blood tests done at.
My question is, what tests should I get?

Here's some of the packages they offer:

Our basic mens Hormone panel includes the following and is recommended annually. Complete Blood Count Thyroid Profile w/TSH Lipid Panel Kidney Panel Minerals and Bone Fluids and Electrolytes Glucose PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) Testosterone, Free and Total Dihydrotestosterone DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) Estradiol IGF-1 (Insulin like growth factor 1)
\$349

Testicular Function Profile III
This set of tests include Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH); free thyroxine index (FTI); luteinizing hormone (LH); prolactin; T3 uptake (THBR); testosterone; thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH); and thyroxine (T4). Like the Testicular Function Profile II test, this test checks the proper functioning of the testes. However, the Testicular Function Profile III test also checks the thyroid, because it can also be a reason for infertility or low male hormone levels.$129

Testosterone, Free & Total
$69

I'm thinking that I should get the second $129 one.

I think the first $349 set of tests seems very thorough, but it leaves out luteinizing and follicle hormone.

These aren't the only choices though, so if anything is left out,let me know.

BTW, I'm 26, but I have the symptoms of low testosterone.
Thanks,
Steve

if you have insurance go to your doc and get a prescription for one of these tests and it should be covered.

Actually you'll proabably need both test in order for your doctor to get the overall picture of your hormones.

If your having symptoms of low testosterone you should get a test that checks for free and total testosterone, estrodiol, DHEA, FSH, TSH, LH complete thyroid panel. You may also want to get a lipid profile.

Best thing for you to do is go to a doctor and have him write a script for the tests you need. Try using Quest Diagnostics as the lab. they are usually located in most areas