T Nation

Horizontal Pressing Exercises

Need some help with exercise selection.

I want to shift some emphasis to the upper part of my pecs, so logically I think incline and low incline pressing movements. Anything above a low incline my shoulders(delts) take over completely–I fail well before I should with a weight well below what I should be able to lift. It’s really evident when I do Barbell presses rather than dumbbell, but the same situation. I can get away with low incline DB press which hits the chest pretty well, but that doesn’t leave me too many option to choose from.

Other options for horizontal pressing movements? Should I just stick to flat bench pressing? Decline? There’s isolation exercises like low pully cable crossovers etc., but I’m still a beginner and trying to stick to big movements that will help me add the most mass.

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Anything above a low incline my shoulders(delts) take over completely–I fail well before I should with a weight well below what I should be able to lift.
[/quote]

This doesn’t make much sense to me. What makes you think you SHOULD be able to lift a certain amout of weight whe you actually can’t.

Maybe your delts and tris aren’t taking over and your chest isn’t working as a result. I would say it’s a good chance those muscle groups are weak and can’t keep up with your chest.

You have been training less than a year, according to your profile. Maybe you should not be too concerned at this point about targeting your upper chest and just work on getting stronger on the lifts.

However, if you think I’m just full of it, widen your grip a far as possible on the incline barbell. This will eliminate SOME of your delt/tri recruitment.

Cueball

Also let me add this. You said you are a beginner and sticking to the big movements. Good. You also are worried about variety of excercises. At this point you don’t need 10 different chest excercises.

You mentioned flat and decline. Decline is NOT for your upper chest. My personal opinion is that decline isn’t really needed. Just variety of flat and incline. Meaning barbell and dumbells. Those, at your stage should be all you need.

Cueball

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1236824

This routine by CT has a a whole day devoted to emphasising the upper chest so you’ll find plenty of good exercises there if that’s a weak point for you. For the most part though, you should probably just keep trying to improve your BB and DB press numbers like you suggested yourself, with a few of those other exercises thrown in as well.

Cueball, thanks for setting me straight. I’ll keep all that in mind, and I definitely don’t think anyone on this board is full of it.

Thanks guys.

you can’t isolate one part of your chest, work it as a whole…

[quote]Samo wrote:
you can’t isolate one part of your chest, work it as a whole…[/quote]

But you can change the emphasis, which is what the OP was asking about.