T Nation

Hoosierdaddy's Workout Log

K, lets try and keep this short.

I used to be a collegiate athlete who last year decided to focus on other things (lets be honest, I wasn’t going to make it to the NFL). I have a budding Sports Performance program (i.e. S & C stuff) and will see an athlete who I helped train (in VA) be the first to make it in a professional sporting league (the NFL). Currently my client list is full and I enjoy the clients I train now.

On top of that I have a serious gf, school, and will be picking up 15 hours a week as an financial analyst intern for a large corporation. As you can see, I have a full plate.

That being said I’m not neccesarily happy with where I am now physically. One year out of highschool and after a year of football in college I was in the best shape of my life, about 215-220, low teen body fat, had speed and athletic power. Now I find myself the heaviest I ever was only a month ago 245, all on a 6’ frame.

I’m going to create this log in the hopes of getting back to where I was physically while handling realworld responsibilities. I have a good idea of what I need to do physically (i.e. it is my job to know afterall) and the motiviation is there, I just need something, like collegiate football, to hold me accountable. I am therefore using this log as a starting point.

6’ 238, i’d say about 18% bf, just an estimate, no chuck t’s to confirm

Bench (current max): 315
Squat: 405
Deadlift: raw and without grips, 405

40: 5.1 or so (and I’m being generous with myself)

I just got done doing my first workout. I’m also going to keep a food log here as well. I also want to start running (GPP) and sprinting as well so keep an eye out for that and call me on it if you don’t see anything. If you have any comments, etc… this is the place to post them. Any questions, that will do as well, especially if you are an athlete and have training questions, while i’m no pretty boy like cressey ( :wink: ) I still know a few things. (Places arm over oly bar to exaggerate bicep size)

This should be fun. I want to be able to post before and after pictures in 8-12 weeks.

Where in the hell have you been?

K, had my first workout today. I’m still deciding on my split/actual program. I need to figure out what will help me grow in certain areas and maintain others while working on a caloric deficency (sp?).

I want to maintain/increase core lifts (bench, squat, deadlift)

and increase upper arm growth (I’ve hardly ever done isolation work on the upper arms, so I’m expecting decent gains in growth)

I think I’m going to follow the Canadian cannons program by CT until he comes out with the ISS-100 Arm Specialization program. This will be performed on Tuesdays and Thursday. I’m thinking M/F for a westside type Bench/Back day and W/Sa for Westside Leg day. I have access to almost every piece of equipment I could wants (chains, sled, etc…)(just incase you have exercise reccomendations)

Bench

45 x 15
135 x 12
185 x 8
225 x 8
255 x 5
265 x 4
275 x 3

Didn’t go heavier because I didn’t have my elbow straps (which I defintely need.)

Hammer Strength MTS Row (Back)

120 x 8
140 x 8
150 x 7

Hammer Strength MTS Hi Row (back

140 x 8
140 x 8
150 x 7

Incline BB Close Grip Bench

135 x 8
145 x 8
155 x 8
165 x 8

(these were easy as shit until the last set, I need to start higher).

1st workout in the books. Thinking about doing some GPP runs tonight.

Honestly RJ, my Sports Performance program just took off. I’m literally maxed out with clients and school is a bitch.

Don’t worry, still plan on following the footstpes of my favorite accountant ;).

Tuesday October 10th

Canadian Cannons… wow

I can barely type. I can’t straighten my arms. I’m terrified of washing my hair tomorrow morning.

Diet was good yesterday, we had dads night at the frat, can’t miss free stripers and good scotch, with the exception of an organic burrito (who doesn’t get hungry when drunk). Diet today has been good, 3 monster protein shakes and now I’m about to drink some Surge. Well have another shake tonight, should be hitting about 2400 calories a day, 250 gs of protein, 100 gs of carbs, 40gs of fat. I do need to remember to take my fish oil and ZMA later.

Today’s workout (this is the Cannadian Cannons workout CT wrote about 4 years ago):

Preacher Curls

80x5
85x5
80x5
70x4
70x4

Extended Zottman Curls
(Extreme Drop Set)

30 x 8
25 x 8
20 x 7
15 x 7
10 x 9

At this point I was wondering if I needed mor volume in my drop set. I can’t beleive I was that stupid

Rotated Cable Curl

15 x 15
15 x 15
20 x 9
15 x 15

I straight died on this third set. Amazing what 5 pounds on an isolate muscle can do.

Reverse Incline Hammer Curls

4 x 10 x 15 lbs.

Felt a great pump…

Machine Preacher Curl
(Extreme Drop Set)

50 lbs x 15
40 x 15
30 x 15
20 x 15
10 x 32 (I’m not kidding)

On the last set some biggjames/heavythrower type came over and started providing additional resistance on both parts of the movement. My biceps were on fire and I had some dude screaming at me to stop being such a pussy. To say that everybody at the gym was watching us is an understatement. It was fucking awesome.

My bi’s are defintely going to hurt tomorrow.

I think I’m going to do shoulders tomorrow, Westside max day for legs Thursday night after my flag football game. I’ll do my speed bench day Thursday morning. Friday I’ll leave for a heavy back and tri day. I should go back to my regular schedule next week.

If I can keep my energy up like I had for today’s workout I should dominate even harder workouts. I’m feeling very optimistic.

Bi’s were killing me today. If you haven’t tried the Canadian Cannon program, go for it. My bi’s are still pumped.

Did my west-side speed/tri day today.

Shoulder complex work. Bands, horn, etc…

Speed bench

155 + blue bands

10x3 7 sets with a narrower grip, 3 with a wider. I wanted to see where I was slower. It’s defintely that first push off of my chest. I’m going to have to remember to keep my grip wide for a while until I can get that speed to that of my narrow grip.

Standing Delt Flys with green tubes (part of more shoulder complex work)

Weighted Dips

0 lbs 15
25 x 12
45 x 10
45 x 10
45 x 10

(I should have gone heavier but I hadn’t done them in a while)

Incline DB Press
30 x 25
35 x 15

(For any westside guys out there, is that enough volume for the secondary exercise? I’ve heard of Tate just doing them for 3 or 4 minutes straight)

Tri-cep pulldowns on rope.
Drop Set

60x12
50x8
40x7
30x7
20x6

and now my tri’s are fried.

Tomorrow is going to be Westside max leg day after my flag football game.

Friday will be shoulders and back (depending on how my bi’s feel though). Defintely need to do some pool work and foam rollers.

Ended up doing some GPP runs tonight.

320 Meter jog

160 M GPP run (80% sprint)
160 M walk

Did the run/walk combo 5 times.

about 1120 M worth of running, the other 800 M was walking.

I feel good. Need to sucker my gf into giving me a massage. I’m defintely going to sleep well tonight.

Actually didn’t sleep well the night before, had a crappy workout. Just did my squats and left, and I didn’t go that heavy

135 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 5
295 x 5
315 x 5
335 x 5
(The weights were easy, I just felt really shitty)

I’m not feeling so hot today either. I need to get my sleep back in order, Im wondering if I might be getting sick.

I’m taking today off.

Abreviated ME Bench yesterday (Monday the 16th)

Bench

45x15
135x10
185x8
225x5
245x5
255x5
265x5
275x3
280x2
295x1

Missed 315, my left elbow gave out, should have done 305 instead, just got greedy.

Hammer Strength ISO Hi row

90x8
140x8
160x6
170x6

Pullups

3 sets of 5

Seated rows

72lbs x 8
108 x 8
116 x 8
124 x 8

Bent DB Rows (these were easier by design)

75 lbs, 4 sets of 8 with each arm.

Do you work out at the SRSC?