Hooking a Computer Up to a TV

I’ll buy the nvidia 8500 around black friday. Basically then, I just need a svideo cable, and an audio cable and I’m set?

does anyone know anything about my VGA to DVI and DVI to HDMI idea? is this possible? what are the draw backs?

tv does support s-video and i got the audio covered but is it possible to pick up better quality with my other suggestion

[quote]Voodoo1911 wrote:
does anyone know anything about my VGA to DVI and DVI to HDMI idea? is this possible? what are the draw backs?

tv does support s-video and i got the audio covered but is it possible to pick up better quality with my other suggestion[/quote]

VGA is the same as component video, which is a step above S-video. Component Video is a step below DVI/HDMI. You will not see any improvement with the setup you described over going VGA to component video.

Here is a link for the cable you need.

For anyone interested in the different formats
here is a link.

Also, too add to my post above, Component video and VGA are not identical technically, VGA is uncompressed while Component video is compressed. This means that component video must be decompressed on the the receiving end, introducing another step and contaminating the signal.

As for DVI/HDMI, this is for digital signals, so unless it is a digital tv it will not improve performance. FYI HDMI is essentially DVI with added capacity for eight channels of audio.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I’ll buy the nvidia 8500 around black friday. Basically then, I just need a svideo cable, and an audio cable and I’m set?[/quote]

Its really simple.

Theres 3 jacks in the TV, the ones you use to plug in a console or something.

1 cord will go from your sound card and split into 2 for the TV.

If you already have a cable you can use, such as from a radio to tv, you can get an adapter. Otherwise just get the one I posted before.

For video, it will generally look like this. The picture sucks but it just runs from the tv out on your video card to the TV.

Or just get one of these.

Then basically you just go to your video card settings and try to make it detect the tv. You can probably figure that out on your own.

depends what you wanna use the tv for…
if you arent gonna be surfing the net and playing games you could always use an original xbox…
Look up XBMC… pretty much every tv show, mp3, picture, and movie that are on my computer I can access using my xbox…

I want it to play d3 on when it comes out. I have absolutely no idea. The first cable hardgnr posted looked like it was a normal RCA cable.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I want it to play d3 on when it comes out. I have absolutely no idea. The first cable hardgnr posted looked like it was a normal RCA cable.

[/quote]

No its not normal, the jack on your computer is smaller then the ones on the tv ever so slightly. Look closer.