T Nation

Hook Grip

i ask that question on the googinsville forum and didn't get any answer , maybe you could help me?

What's the advantage to use a hook grip intead of a conventionnal reverse grip?
i want to begin it, but i'm not shure because i don't have specific reason to use it!

thank you

A hook grip allows you to grip more weight than a pronated grip. It is used in Olympic weightlifting although some powerlifter deadlift with a hook grip. Using a hook grip with heavy pulls helps reduce the chance of tearing a biceps when compared to the traditional over/under grip used in deadlifts.

Thank you!

warrior, the picture you posted is not a hook grip, i hope you realize. Your thumb needs to be under your forefinger and middle fingers.

Here:

also it helps prevent imbalance from right to left and miniscule twisting that possibly could be bad. I switched to hook grip a long time ago, but I still have 1 trap bigger than the other from using an over/under grip. I guess you could alternate each eat, but for most people 1 side is more natural and dominant.

thank you Mr. i did it to my last workout and i did 605 lbs on shrug with hook grip, and since i did not feel my thumb for 2 days....one thing to say about that grip: HARDCORE BABY, I LIKE IT!

I think I'm going to try this out tomorrow. I have a biceps tendon problem which prevents me from supinating my right arm on deadlifts. Hence I won't be able to alternate the mixed grip like I usually do. I assume I should start out light with this technique?