T Nation

Hook Grip Is Much Better Than Mixed Grip

That’s why I switched to hook grip, once I switched to sumo the windmill thing was throwing me off and hook grip made perfect sense.

How many people have problems with the bar wind-milling in the deadlift, a sore elbow, an arm that won’t straighten and a bench press that stalls near the top?

Sounds like you are talking about me and @Vincepac1500 but we both use hook grip so there is no windmilling.

Its late, what’s he replying to? Cause that’s me aside from the windmilling. And now my elbow is pretty much healed and can straighten. But I do still miss my bench at the top lol

I don’t get it either.

@FlatsFarmer - What’s the deal here?

I’ve been trying to figure out elbow pain, shoulder position and extending the arm for awhile now. My elbow hurts and my bench dies at the top too.

Supination (underhand) of the lower arm is external rotation of the upper arm and shoulder.

Pronation (overhand) is internal rotation of the upper arm and shoulder.

If you guys are all about the overhand grip, pulling big weights, you are all about pronation or internal rotation, or lots and lots of biceps, trap, lats. And less into supination, or external rotation and less and less serratus, rhomboid and Triceps Brachii.

Good so far?

@BOTSLAYER

Another addition to the hook grip guide (if it’s not already in there): Hook Gripping the Smooth. Fully or partially.

I’ve been playing with this myself with input from @Vincepac1500 and @chris_ottawa

For guys with fingers long enough, infinite chalk and this maybe:

Hook gripping the smooth can save your thumbs to some degree and make the bar whip more.

I saw the knife and knew exactly where he was going. Personally I’m not a fan of this.