Hook Grip for Pull-Ups?

What does everyone think about using a hook grip for pull ups/chin ups? I seem to have strained something in my forearm, in a wrist flexor. I’m trying to work around it and feel a little better when using a hook grip for pullups (supinated). I find it nearly impossible pronated. I’d like to use hook grip pull ups/chin ups to break myself in to using the hook grip so I can pull with it.

Any words of wisdom?

It’s heresy around here, but in times of injury or strain, what’s wrong with using straps until you get healed up?

On my rack at home, a hook grip would tear my thumbs to shreds because the knurling is so deep. But then, I’m also not used to using the hook grip for anything but power cleans.

I usually do mine without using my thumb at all. Maybe this isn’t hook grip… hang grip? Anyway, I always hang from just my fingers. It’ll help strengthen your hands and forearms.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
I usually do mine without using my thumb at all. Maybe this isn’t hook grip… hang grip? Anyway, I always hang from just my fingers. It’ll help strengthen your hands and forearms.[/quote]

I use the same grip.

[quote]Matthew9v9 wrote:
It’s heresy around here, but in times of injury or strain, what’s wrong with using straps until you get healed up?

On my rack at home, a hook grip would tear my thumbs to shreds because the knurling is so deep. But then, I’m also not used to using the hook grip for anything but power cleans.[/quote]

I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to using straps, as long as I have the discipline to not lean on them. I do have to confess, I wouldn’t even know how to use them. I’ve only ever seen people wearing them, I’ve never seen them put on, or handled one, no less worn them.

I don’t use thumbs either…and I thought I was crazy.

I usually do mine without using my thumb at all. Maybe this isn’t hook grip… hang grip? Anyway, I always hang from just my fingers. It’ll help strengthen your hands and forearms.[/quote]

That’s how I do it too but I figured he must have some pretty bad pain or something.

I don’t think Conorh was talking about a thumbless supinated grip. I think he was talking about using the hook grip often utilized in Olympic Weightlifting - fingers around the bar, thumb mashed between fingers and the bar for added friction and increased pain. This is a really interesting idea - I never heard of any using a hook grip for their pull-ups before. Surprising, since grip is often a limiting factor - it is for me. I’ll have to give it a try…

I’m going to look into that. Improving forearm and grip strength is always good.

Not sure about using the hook grip for pull-ups. It might work. Give it a try. I use it strictly when doing Olympic lifts.

To clarify, my overuse injury is not the primary reason for attempting these. It’s just a coincedence. I want to use the hook grip, but really can’t lift anything with it in the gym, but I can get a pull up or two with it using a pronated grip and a few more supinated.

I can do lots of pull ups with a mostly fingers grip, as I also find I tend to use all fingers when double overhand gripping a deadlift or rack pull. My thumb is actually the weak point in my grip, as various feats of strength versus my dad show. Finger flexion I can beat him any day of the week, but I can’t squeeze very hard with my thumb. This shows on plate pinches and such.

So, will the hook grip make my thumb stronger?