T Nation

Hook Grip and SGHP

Hello CT and others.

I’ve been performing snatch-grip high pulls for a few months now and have noticed improvements in my speed/explosiveness as well as some development in my trap size. I began doing these with a standard grip but switched to a hook grip several weeks ago, which I already use for deadlifting.

It seems as though this has led to some nasty pain at the base of my thumbs – right at where the “webbing” to the index finger starts. I figured this would subside after a little while, but seems to be stubborn. I think the pain arises from the bar shifting between reps when it “lands” on my upper thighs following the eccentric.

Would anyone happen to have some tips as to how I could get around this? I use the same cues for my hook grip here as I do for deadlifting – push the bar as deep as possible into the webbing between thumb and index finger, wrap the first two fingers as far as possible around my thumb and grip hard. I also tape my thumbs, though only the tips for high pulls. I use straps from time to time but find this difficult, as I don’t have a correct olympic bar with knurling all the way to the sleeves, meaning that the straps move around during the pulls.

Thank you very much in advance!

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Hello CT and others.

I’ve been performing snatch-grip high pulls for a few months now and have noticed improvements in my speed/explosiveness as well as some development in my trap size. I began doing these with a standard grip but switched to a hook grip several weeks ago, which I already use for deadlifting.

It seems as though this has led to some nasty pain at the base of my thumbs – right at where the “webbing” to the index finger starts. I figured this would subside after a little while, but seems to be stubborn. I think the pain arises from the bar shifting between reps when it “lands” on my upper thighs following the eccentric.

Would anyone happen to have some tips as to how I could get around this? I use the same cues for my hook grip here as I do for deadlifting – push the bar as deep as possible into the webbing between thumb and index finger, wrap the first two fingers as far as possible around my thumb and grip hard. I also tape my thumbs, though only the tips for high pulls. I use straps from time to time but find this difficult, as I don’t have a correct olympic bar with knurling all the way to the sleeves, meaning that the straps move around during the pulls.

Thank you very much in advance![/quote]

I have the same problem … what kinda worked for me was that I started taping that area too … seems to keep the rubbing against the bar to a minimum… plus the minute my grip even shifts a little after rep I drop the weight to regrip… I don’t know how wide your snatch grip is but where the knurls end on a standard commercial gym bar is where I have my index finger is … so I have a bit of gripping the knurl … it’s better than nothing but the smooth part of the barbell …

I’ve done it from blocks, not from the hang, and I reset each rep. I found that if I actually try to maintain the grip when I lower the bar, I typically end up ripping my hand. Opening the hand into basically a very loose overhand grip when lowering seemed to help me quite a bit. While there’s a fair amount of bar movement, no skin is held up tight against it. I then reset the hook grip and do it again.

Awesome, thanks for the tips, guys! Will give both of your recommendations a shot.