T Nation

Hood Calorie Countdown Milk

I’m pretty sure this has been stated on here before but I just have to re-iterate it once again. I’ve been drinking their fat free milk for over a year now in the mornings but just recently started their chocolate milk. OMG!! It is fucking liquid sex in a carton!!! Better than any chocolate milk I’ve drank. Period.

Even Wawa chocolate milk, and if you live in Jersey or any of the states surrounding it you know just how amazing wawa chocolate milk is. Only 5g carbs, 3g sugar and 90 calories too. I’m now using this with my Protein shake in the morning. Chocolate protein powder, a banana, some PB and this chocolate milk. God do I want to just cream my pants with every sip!!!

Extremely gay rant over.!

I hate you americans and your special products…jks. Unsweetened Almond Milk just doesn’t cut it.

Hood Chocolate Milk is definitely good! Be careful though - that chocolate hides whether it’s good or not. I once drank a bad one out of a school vending machine without noticing… it didn’t even taste sour! But my stomach was dead for the next day! Lol

I just wish I didn’t have to go to Walmart to get it.

Love the stuff. There’s only one store in my area that carries it, so you usually have to buy it quick or they sell out.

My local Wal-Mart doesn’t seem to carry it though.

Yea finding it is a bitch! My local Shoprite and Weggman’s sell it but you either have the chocolate or just the fat free. Usually don’t have your choice and it goes fast.

[quote]football061 wrote:
Yea finding it is a bitch! My local Shoprite and Weggman’s sell it but you either have the chocolate or just the fat free. Usually don’t have your choice and it goes fast.[/quote]

This is what I don’t understand about the Calorie Countdown milk: Why is it that stores refuse to stock a product that sells out immediately when it’s offered?

Am I missing something about the whole ‘supply and demand’ concept?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
football061 wrote:
Yea finding it is a bitch! My local Shoprite and Weggman’s sell it but you either have the chocolate or just the fat free. Usually don’t have your choice and it goes fast.

This is what I don’t understand about the Calorie Countdown milk: Why is it that stores refuse to stock a product that sells out immediately when it’s offered?

Am I missing something about the whole ‘supply and demand’ concept?[/quote]

I use to stock the milk/dairy dept in a Giant foods store and ordering that shit was hit or miss. Sometimes it would come in, sometimes it wouldnt. I recall a few weeks straight of getting NONE, and we carried their Choc, FF and 2%. I was pissed because I drank the chocolate about 2 weeks before for the first time and was hooked.

i like it. i drink it almost every day.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
football061 wrote:

It could be because it’s pretty pricey for milk and it’s a specialty product. They may not want to get stuck with a large stock of it if no-one decides to buy it. Although, the expiration dates on the Calorie Countdown milk are ridiculous. It will stay good forever, haha.

[quote]football061 wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
football061 wrote:

Am I missing something about the whole ‘supply and demand’ concept?

It could be because it’s pretty pricey for milk and it’s a specialty product. They may not want to get stuck with a large stock of it if no-one decides to buy it. Although, the expiration dates on the Calorie Countdown milk are ridiculous. It will stay good forever, haha.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with that but at the same time the shelf life is like a month or something. the chocolate milk might even be longer by half a month or so. I do remember a select few times where my Hood milk went bad before the expiration date, but it was only one time. I’ve never tried wal-mart for it; it’s usually at smaller supermarkets but like everyone says hit or miss. I hate going to a store where it should be and find its not there i’m like fuck gotta goto another store now! =\

but honestly, the chocolate milk makes any protein shake wayyyyy better, i did stop using the chocolate milk though because its crack in a container. and you guys know how bad crack is.

Which is also part of the reason I was so surprised to look at the one I got out of a school vending machine… to find it had gone “bad” nearly a month before.

I remember the first couple years it came out, it was called Carb Countdown and they fortified it with extra protein from whey powder. Same price as now, but double the protein. Oh, the heady days of the Atkins craze.

Still drink it though. I’ll kill a carton of chocolate in one sitting. Beefcake!

Yea - it’s awesome.

Try this -

10 oz Hood Chocolate Milk
1/2 ounce low-fat cottage cheese
Tablespoon of natty peanut butter.
1 packet splenda.
Lots of ice…

Blend until smooth. It’s absolutely delicious, and has a lot of quality protein.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Yea - it’s awesome.

Try this -

10 oz Hood Chocolate Milk
1/2 ounce low-fat cottage cheese
Tablespoon of natty peanut butter.
1 packet splenda.
Lots of ice…

Blend until smooth. It’s absolutely delicious, and has a lot of quality protein. [/quote]

That sounds pretty tasty. I may give that a try

anyone know what kind of sweetener is used in the chocolate milk?

The outside of the carton says it is sweetened with Splenda.

[quote]ktennies wrote:
anyone know what kind of sweetener is used in the chocolate milk?[/quote]

splenda! Oh man is calorie countdown the shi’nizel.

I love it too, but calling it ‘milk’ is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I don’t think I could drink it, but I like to add to coffee, tea and making high protein, low cal puddings when cutting.

Fortunately I can still get it in one grocery store near me (even the other stores of the same chain don’t carry it). If they ever stop selling it I’ll be screwed.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

It may have to do with the fact that many supermarkets were burned by the very-short-lived low-carb fad of a few years ago.

They were devoting whole sections to low-carb foods. This only lasted months I think, or at most about a year, and then crashed totally.

To whatever extent the Atkins people were managing/promoting what was happening, they blew it. I believe it could have been a long-term trend if it had not been overpromoted, but from overpromotion they produced a fad, and fads don’t last.

So now supermarkets often have many Hood offerings, but the managers may be deciding, “The low-carb? No we don’t need that,” from the sour taste left from the still-fairly-recent flop.