T Nation

Hong Kong T-Nation Members

Hey all,

I’m thinking about making a move to Hong Kong in the new year and wanted to know what some T-Nation folk think about living out there.

I’ve asked my friends about gyms, food, etc., but they just tend to laugh and think I’m ridiculous.

So, what’s it like? Gym facilities/hours good? How about the food? Supplement access? Where’s the best place to live?

I appreciate the insight.

Cheers.

Sasha

[quote]SashaG wrote:
Hey all,

I’m thinking about making a move to Hong Kong in the new year and wanted to know what some T-Nation folk think about living out there.

I’ve asked my friends about gyms, food, etc., but they just tend to laugh and think I’m ridiculous.

So, what’s it like? Gym facilities/hours good? How about the food? Supplement access? Where’s the best place to live?

I appreciate the insight.

Cheers.

Sasha

[/quote]

Hi, I live in Hong Kong. I’ve been going to this gym for a few times in a place called ‘Yau Ma Tei’ but it’s closed down for renovation and I don’t know when it will open up again, gotta go and check.

If I remember, it was 20 Hong Kong dollars for an hour, so very cheap. As for the commercial gyms (California Fitness, Physical etc… They’re a LOT MORE EXPENSIVE and to be honest, I don’t know much about the details, I will try and get you more on this… But I heard it’s a pretty good place–although the price sucks lol-- I heard there are sandbag (old school) training areas…)

Supplement access, I haven’t seen much of these shops around but they do exist, I got my supplements in a place called ‘Jordan’ but I forgot the shop name.

As for food, there are market places everywhere, you can get your green vegetables, meat etc there. There are also supermarkets called ‘Parkn’shop’ and ‘Wellcome’, I would reccomend Parkn’shop over Wellcome as they tend to sell fresher items and it tends to dominate in the supermarket world. There are also shops which sell organic stuff but they are VERY EXPENSIVE, I’ve heard of a shop around the KCC (Kowloon Cricket Club-- again, will get you more detail about this…)

If you’re a foreigner (which you are haha), I think the best place to live is ‘Sai Kung’, this place has more of a natural environment, and you might not like the busy city atmosphere where everything is stressful (Kowloon, Central etc-- Place names)

Give me a PM and I’ll be sure to try my best and help out!

Cheers for this . . . anyone else got the inside track on life in Hong Kong?

Many thanks,

Sasha

Uhh…Hong Kong rocks. Great city.
I live on one of the outlying islands which makes things cheaper, more peaceful, and just awesome except for the commute. Can’t say enough good things.

As for gym and such: I go to the California Fitness in the Central area. There are many of this chain throughout the city but I have experience with this one and one in Wanchai - which is close. This one is better. The fourth floor is free weights - two flat benches, one incline, one squat rack (barely used) and two smith machines. Dbells up to 150 and lots of good old iron weights. In the morning at around 10 it’s quiet except for the bad music. Cost is about 300HKD (<40USD) per month but I have restrictions - can’t go during peak hours as if I would and get sandwiched between two yabbos in string t’s doing endless sets of curls.

Supplements galore. Check out 123mass.com. I get my protein there - about 30USD per 5lb tub. They have Alpha Male, HRX and lots of other supps from many manufacturers. Health stores carry stuff too but they are pricier. Spend 2000HKD and get a VIP card for 10% off. No problems. Just ordered new Alpha Male and some PowerDrive from here so we’ll see how that goes.

you better like humidity, though. How about 30 degrees C and 90%? Sweat, sweat, sweat.

Thanks for the info in re to gyms, am heading there myself. Spent a far amount of time in Hong Kong in the past, just love the city, its awesome.