Honey Post-Workout?

Well, when discovering this site, I also discovered shipping to Switzerland is not available. So, I’m looking for a good Surge alternative. The easiest thing I can think of is mixing whey protein with water and honey, but I’m not quite sure what type of sugars are in it, so I don’t really know what kind of insulin spike I will get and if it will work.

Would you recommend this? Or do you have a better alternative that I could implement?

honey has a sugar profile very similar to table sugar, sucrose.

contains glucose and fructose. I would not recommend honey as a source of post workout carbs. Milk could be used but galactose and fructose have roughly the same fate, and for this reason it is not absolutely ideal in replensishing muscle glycogen stores.

Can you not get maltodextrin or dextrose from a local baking goods store? You can get about 5 lbsfor roughly 15$, mix that with Surge and it’ll be about the same concoction.

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
Well, when discovering this site, I also discovered shipping to Switzerland is not available.[/quote]

We do ship to Switzerland.

Either go with the malto/dextro and whey mix, or go with some shocolate milk and maybe add in some protein powder.

I usually make a shake like this:
~24 oz. FF Milk
1 serving choclate syrup
2 Bananas
1 Scoop Whey

Tastes DELICIOUS, and seems to work well enough for my 3 hours of practice every day.

Definanlty not optimal but when you can’t get Surge it works great.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
Robert P. wrote:
Well, when discovering this site, I also discovered shipping to Switzerland is not available.

We do ship to Switzerland.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me since when? I only checked once, but I couldn’t find it, maybe it was too long ago.

How about one heaping scoop of whey (25g protein) mixed well with 12 onces of water, poured over a bowl of two ounces of Kellogg’s Puffed Rice cereal (50g carbs)? Puffed rice has a glycemic index very similar to that of glucose/dextrose (~100 GI).

Believe me, maltodextrin or dextrose are hard to find because wholesale supply stores that carry the stuff are not prevalent, plus there’s no guaranty they’ll bother dealing with individual sales, at least that’s the case where I’m located.

If you do track down Maltodextrin wholesale , find out where its comes from and if they have a Spec Sheet which they should. They should be able to provide you with a copy of the Spec. Maltodextrin can be made from different things and some are undesirable post workout.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1016363&pageNo=2

[quote]Meddyg Stigg wrote:
If you do track down Maltodextrin wholesale , find out where its comes from and if they have a Spec Sheet which they should. They should be able to provide you with a copy of the Spec. Maltodextrin can be made from different things and some are undesirable post workout.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1016363&pageNo=2[/quote]

Exactly right. You want the stuff that elicits as high an insilin response as possible, PWO.

I used to use natural grape juice (a lowly 50 GI.) Even this fruit juice has a certain amount of natural fructose, bah!