T Nation

Honesty and Healthy Eating

Ok people; time to be honest with yourself and us here…

How good are you with your daily nutrition?

By that I mean, if you have a certain nutrition plan you ‘say’ (to yourself, to friends or online) you follow…how well do you ACTUALLY follow it?

Because we all know, talk is cheap unless you can actually follow through with it.

i stay on track 97% of the time when i’m alone, 90% of the time when with friends, and ~ 50% of the time when with the gf…

she always accuses me of guilting her into eating healthy, even though i do my best not to say anything about the crap she eats since i know it will only make her angry and self conscious (no reason to be)

edit: just reread this. it sounds like a lame excuse, and it probably is. but i’d rather have a happy gf than <10% bf. low teens works for me.

I don’t post much anymore, but this is a good topic.

I had heaps of difficulty when I was just ‘winging’ it. I had a plan, macro breakdown, etc, but id probably have been 75-80% consistent which can be not so great when trying for a low carb way of eating.

Now, I have a meal plan that I just follow. I know what to eat, when I’m going to eat it, and it just gets done - food for fuel, etc. I find that, for me, knowing exactly what to eat and when takes all the guesswork out and its readily apparent exactly when I’m cheating or not. Food logs are great, sure, but they’re looked at / written in after the even has happened. If I have all my meals planned out, I don’t need to regret entering a cheat meal into the log, as I won’t have cheated.

So, to clarify at the moment, 100% compliance with or without girlfriend, friends, family, etc.

Well since I’m doing the AD I have to be alot more careful about what I eat but I admit I eat pretty crap on my carb ups, although still better then I use to.

I don’t really follow a meal plan now. I put a heap of meat in my fridge and make sure I eat the next day. Eat alot more vegetables now though.

I try to eat when I’m not full. Not when I’m hungry.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
So, to clarify at the moment, 100% compliance with or without girlfriend, friends, family, etc.[/quote]

Good to hear man! Congrats!

As far as myself, I have had a food log/menu that I have been following for quite a while.

I followed a cutting diet for 4-5months 07/08 winter and then transissioned to a maintenance/bulk diet for 14months which I just finished.

For all that time (about 2yrs) I was able to follow my diet/menus 90% of the time. When I was cutting/lean I was having a cheat meal a week which was usually a bunch of carbs and some dessert. During my bulking I was just lenient on the weekends but not eating bad food; just not following as strict of a time table as during the week.

Thankfully I have a wonderful girl who eats super healthy and trains with me. My family found it weird that I’d bring my cooler to family functions…but they understand now.

Most of my friends train, so they know why I leave the bar and go to my car to eat for 10-15min.

98% from Monday-Friday and
approximately 75-80% on Saturday and Sunday.

I don’t really keep a log per-say as my menu changes only slightly on the weekdays. You know as well as I do that eating 5-6x/day makes meal preparations tedious. So I keep it simple and change as needed.

With that being said I have a tendency to cheat only slightly on the weekends (most of the time). So I use that window for indulgencies normally banned on the weekdays…

I’m with danchubb…I’ve yet to have any “dessert” or candy or really anything bad for that matter for the last 6 years. But I’m weird. When I was a little kid at birthdays (before I knew any better) I would ask for a carrot instead of cake and ice cream. So it’s not really a big deal for me to miss out on stuff.

To be clear, I don’t consider a cheat meal ‘cheating’ as such, as long as it’s planned. So, say you eat 6 meals a day, Sunday - Friday they’re all clean and fall within your diet parameters (eg Chicken breast & brown rice or some such). Saturday calls for 5 of the same and one cheat.

I consider that 100% compliance, due to there being a myriad of diet plans requiring cheats, carbups, whatever. Whereas, if on say Tuesday you’re on a low carb plan and have a couple of sweet potatoes and some milk, I’d call that ‘cheating’ despite it being notionally healthier than the supposed Saturday cheat meal. I hope that makes sense…

I have very little compliance while bulking, I really only focus on getting enough protein. However, while cutting, I stick with it between 90 and 100%, depending on how far along I am. For example, right now I’m just getting started on a cut, and I’m not sweating a 10% cheat rate. However, as I start to get lower, the first thing I’ll do before reducing calories is to increase my compliance.

I’m pretty good. Carbs only from fruit, PWO shake, vegetables, and a minor amount from sauces. No BPA, MSG, trans-fats, or gluten. Alcohol once a week max. I have a cheat day once a week, that I let happen when going out with friends. Sometimes it might be every 10 days sometimes every 5. I just never cheat at home.

In the past I have designed nutrition plans and followed them to the tee. I had the perfect fat intake percentages, perfect macro ratios, and alternating food sources to avoid allergy, carb and calorie cycling, and even aiming to get RDA of micronutrients. No cheat meals for up to 6 weeks. When I was this strict, I was a couple % bf leaner.

I find the 90% approach takes about 50% the effort of the 100% approach, and yields close to the same results. Therefore, because of the saved time, and stress, I am not as hardcore with my diet anymore. Right now I am maintaining, but when I go back to adding muscle, I will probably need to start tracking calories again.

I follow my diet religeously. 3000-3240 calories. No artificial sugars. No other bullshit. In my eyes diet is 60% of the game. So I’m sure to put a lot into it.
I have everything measured down to the calorie and gram.

My friends give me shit because I’m so strict. I used to drink alcohal frequently now its about once a month. I used to eat out anywhere, anytime, any day. Now its a cheat meal every other weak.

Ever since I started training with powerlifters, not very.

Do you guys still “diet” this religiously even when you bulk? There’s no way I could gain weight eating veggies/chicken all day. I “cheat” 95% of the time lol.

During the week, its AD, 2000 cals/day non work out, 2500 cals work out (a guideline, I eat more if I’m hungry).

Weekends, I’ll eat a frozen pizza, jimmy johns #10 (no mayo!!), gatorade, fajitas, and whatever else I am craving… prob avg 3500 cal/day on weekend which in turn balances out what I ate during the week.

No set plan, just general guidelines.

Eat lots of protein with every meal.

Eat often.

Eat lots of carbs on carb days, don’t on low carb days.

Avoid sugary crap.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
I don’t post much anymore, but this is a good topic.

I had heaps of difficulty when I was just ‘winging’ it. I had a plan, macro breakdown, etc, but id probably have been 75-80% consistent which can be not so great when trying for a low carb way of eating.

Now, I have a meal plan that I just follow. I know what to eat, when I’m going to eat it, and it just gets done - food for fuel, etc. I find that, for me, knowing exactly what to eat and when takes all the guesswork out and its readily apparent exactly when I’m cheating or not. Food logs are great, sure, but they’re looked at / written in after the even has happened. If I have all my meals planned out, I don’t need to regret entering a cheat meal into the log, as I won’t have cheated.

So, to clarify at the moment, 100% compliance with or without girlfriend, friends, family, etc.[/quote]

Same for me.

I much prefer the planning than the logging.

I plan and that also helps with shopping and makes sure I have something on hand healthy if something comes up.

BUT, if I do eat a donut or something, I don’t add it on my menu. But I don’t really cheat anymore. I actually get in a spin if I eat too many carbs and I feel like I need to drink a ton of water if I eat something loaded with sugar.

Lately I haven’t had any appetite. Working on getting back to where I was at, nutrition-wise. Thankfully, I haven’t been eating crap. But I haven’t been eating much. In Berardi’s plan, not eating is just about par with eating the wrong foods.

Getting there. Maybe once the last of the funeral stuff is done, I’ll have more “oomph.”

Macro-wise I’m spot on. I don’t count anything but I know what I need to do and I do it. I do make a lot of lazy choices when it comes to veggies though. For a couple months I was mostly relying on Superfood. For the past week I’ve been off that and instead doing a giant salad with everything imaginable. Same “all at once” mentality only with whole food…

When I first started training I spent hours on macro breakdowns and logging every last damn food I ate, and I saw relatively little gains in size. It was just too tough to hold myself 100% constant with the rigorous plan I had. Then, when I deviated slightly from the plan, I tended to go overboard on the line of thought that “well, I blew the plan for today.”

What it did do was teach me how to roughly eyeball macros in 90% of the foods I ate. Now I know relatively how much protein is in what, and roughly how many cals I need, I can adjust accordingly. I also focus more on getting quality foods, as opposed to just counting the cals. When I start to cut for summer, I’ll basically eat the same foods I do now, just less. Its easy once you get a feel for it.

As for actual nutritional habits; I dont get nearly enough fruits and veggies. I know the micronutrient benefits are there, but they take the most time to prepare and often taste like ass. Hooray superfood, amiright?

I eat breakfast and then cook my meals for the day. Breakfast and the cooking of meals and putting them in there containers takes 2 hours, but then when its time to eat i just eat. I cheat with a pizza on mondays. But as danchubb said, its all in my plan so its not really cheating. As of the last 2 months 100% compliance. I intend to keep it this way. Im much happier like this