T Nation

Honest Assestment of Speed/Strength

Hey wasup fellas and gals(?)…anyway Im a upcoming freshman in college and I play running back for a Division 1 school… I only been lifting weights for about 5 months and I’ll say currently since September its been every other day consistent…

Now I started playing football late …my senior year of high school and I did okay but anyway I ran track in the spring and decided to train for for football at the next level because I was always very fast anyway Im 19 now and my goal is to be in the NFL by the age of 23/24…now I know you need more than weight room numbersyou also need TALENT I have that I just want to know where Im at physically…anyway here you go:
Height- 5-9

Weight- 210

Max Bench -255

Max Squat-515

185 Bench Test-23 reps

Max Deadlift- 315

Step-Ups(Dumbells)- 100 pound dumbells as well as my split squats.

40 yard dash- 4.48/4.50

100 meter dash- 10.6

My leg strength IMO is pretty darn good My bench needs the most work.Comments/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your max deadlift is 315, I’m going to take a wild guess and say that your max squat is not a legit 515…

… They are decent numbers and you are running same fast times however, so not to discredit that.

Just curious, what’s your vertical like with those speed numbers?

[quote]VanVan22 wrote:
Hey wasup fellas and gals(?)…anyway Im a upcoming freshman in college and I play running back for a Division 1 school… I only been lifting weights for about 5 months and I’ll say currently since September its been every other day consistent…

Now I started playing football late …my senior year of high school and I did okay but anyway I ran track in the spring and decided to train for for football at the next level because I was always very fast anyway Im 19 now and my goal is to be in the NFL by the age of 23/24…now I know you need more than weight room numbersyou also need TALENT I have that I just want to know where Im at physically…anyway here you go:
Height- 5-9

Weight- 210

Max Bench -255

Max Squat-515

185 Bench Test-23 reps

Max Deadlift- 315

Step-Ups(Dumbells)- 100 pound dumbells as well as my split squats.

40 yard dash- 4.48/4.50

100 meter dash- 10.6

My leg strength IMO is pretty darn good My bench needs the most work.Comments/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Hey Van, welcome aboard.

I am not going to get into all the details of the talent and such to get to the NFL since I think you already know how tough that is (as you referenced in your post).

In terms of evaluating your numbers, it can be a little tricky. Emmitt Smith was not a terribly fast runner from an all-out sprint perspective, but his vision and incredibly quick feet (which you cannot measure well at a combine if you ask me) made the difference. OK, onto your numbers.

Your squat is very good and split squats/step ups sound incredibly good (I am assuming you mean 100 lb DBs in EACH hand, right?) Also, your speed is very much on par with an elite level running back, so really nice job there. I would think you could only improve upon that at your age and with the proper training (which is scary to think you can shave more time off).

The numbers that jump out at me as needing work are your bench press and especially your deadlift. The bench press needs work because, at least from a combine perspective, I cannot imagine you banging out too many reps wit 225 if your max is 255.

Also, while DL’s are not a combine test, I am pretty amazed that you would weigh 210 with a squat in the 500 range and only be able to hit 315 in your deadlift. Do you not train it all that often?

yeah i just started deadlifting and I really couldn’t go high becasue i kept losing grip but I think I can dead more than that…but grip counts to right…thanx for reading I always been real motivated because of the fact that I can run fast and I have very strong legs and yeah I do mean dumbells in ewach hand but I know I need to get that bench up before I hit 24 because they test at 225 and hitting that like 4 times would be embarrising…

but at the college test sites you only have to do 185 and Im pretty good at that but I want those same numbers on my 225 reps…the point about emmit smith is so true…man most people dont know that Terrell Davis ran a 4.7 and benched 225 3 times. So I know those numbers arent everything but they do get scouts goin crazy and can mean more money/higher draft pick

my vertical is something that I havent had tested yet…hey I can dunk…no but seriously Im not sure what my vert would be but Im sure this January I will be tested on it

[quote]VanVan22 wrote:
yeah i just started deadlifting and I really couldn’t go high becasue i kept losing grip but I think I can dead more than that…but grip counts to right…thanx for reading I always been real motivated because of the fact that I can run fast and I have very strong legs and yeah I do mean dumbells in ewach hand but I know I need to get that bench up before I hit 24 because they test at 225 and hitting that like 4 times would be embarrising…

but at the college test sites you only have to do 185 and Im pretty good at that but I want those same numbers on my 225 reps…the point about emmit smith is so true…man most people dont know that Terrell Davis ran a 4.7 and benched 225 3 times. So I know those numbers arent everything but they do get scouts goin crazy and can mean more money/higher draft pick[/quote]

In terms of the grip for DL’s, the best two things I can think of are using a mixed grip (one hand overhand and one underhand) and using chalk. That will be a big help for you and given your numbers, I think you will move up well.

Terrell Davis. Another great example and a running back I LOVED before he got hurt. Damn he was good.

But Emmitt is my guy to the core. I have never seen his lifting numbers, but given his build, I would think he could do just fine.

It’s amazing how just numbers alone catapult players up these days from the combines. Mike Mamula jumps to mind. He was not much of an impact player at BC, goes nuts at the combine and suddenly he is a 1st rounder. The scouts went back to his films and suddenly “saw” all of these apparently great things. And what did he do in the pros except for one decent season? Ummm…

on your deadlift, are you using an “over/under” grip??

that is how powerlifters grip it…one hand goes “overhanded” (palm down), one goes “underhanded” (palm up)

that makes the grip WAY stronger than just using palms down on both hands

there is no way u can ran 10.6 100 with that 40 time .i also find ur deads very weak if u squat 500.grip should not be a problem if u r able to single hand 2 100 pounds dumbells. i think u should reconsider ur numbers .but if u r right i’ll enjoi whatch u on tv in few yrs