Homeowners Insurance Buttslam

I am currently getting buttslammed on trying to get homeowners insurance because I have a stat. bull terrier.

I want to refinance my mortagage and need a policy before I can proceed. My dog has never bitten anybody nor has ever been reported to the police.

any suggestions on options?

yeh man, try all the carriers. i have been in the insurance biz for 4 years and worked for state farm. you can do the lieing thing and if things go bad you can act like you got if after the policy was issued.

trampolines are the same way, no one will insure your house if they know you have a trampoline. let me know if you need more help and i will try to find a better loophole.

[quote]trailer36 wrote:
trampolines are the same way, no one will insure your house if they know you have a trampoline. let me know if you need more help and i will try to find a better loophole.[/quote]

I’ve always wondered why don’t they just have standard policies that exclude damages related to trampolines, mean dogs, etc.?

They screw you at the drive through, they screw you at the insurance company…

I have an American Staffordshire Terrier and I just have to pay a little extra for homeowner’s insurance. Funny, I got her from the pound, she’s got some scars and cropped ears and looks badass, but it’s our miniature dachshund that will take a finger and a toe off you if you freak her out. Our AmStaff is the gentlest creature on Earth. Bought a new house two years ago and had no problems. Shop around.

[quote]larryb wrote:
I’ve always wondered why don’t they just have standard policies that exclude damages related to trampolines, mean dogs, etc.?[/quote]

Exclusions are not necessarily a slam dunk for an insurance company. As a general rule people don’t read their insurance policy. It’s only when they make a claim do they find out that something is excluded. Then they hire a lawyer who sues the insurance company. Then the insurance company hires a lawyer to defend itself. Even if the insurance company wins, it ends up costing them a boatload of money. It’s not worth the money and aggravation they get in exchange for the amount of premium on a homeowner’s policy.

I was almost rejected for my lab/shep mix.

Hiding the fact that you own a pit bull when you procure homeowners’ insurance is not a “loophole”. It’s generally considered fraud. Here’s a link to a site that provides a list of “pit bull” friendly insurance companies.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Exclusions are not necessarily a slam dunk for an insurance company. As a general rule people don’t read their insurance policy. It’s only when they make a claim do they find out that something is excluded. Then they hire a lawyer who sues the insurance company. Then the insurance company hires a lawyer to defend itself. Even if the insurance company wins, it ends up costing them a boatload of money. It’s not worth the money and aggravation they get in exchange for the amount of premium on a homeowner’s policy.
[/quote]

That is a problem with our legal system. Any such lawsuit, where there is no question that the claim is excluded based on a reading of the policy and the claim, should be immediately thrown out, and the success of a countersuit should be a given.

FYI, there is a bill pending in NJ legislature requiring liability insurance for owners of “Pit Bulls” (including, “American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers and any dog determined to be a pit bull type” )as well as a special licence for the dog.