T Nation

Homemade Workout Shake

A few months ago I bought a blender and started making my own post workout high GI protein shakes.

My initial ingredients were:
Milk
Bananas
Natural Peanut Butter
Flax Seed
Oatmeal
Wheat Germ
Protein Powder

Yes I know the natural peanut butter goes against the high GI you want after a workout but it’s such good stuff and making it an ingredient in my shake is about the only way I can get it in my diet. Plus I’m trying to gain a few pounds.

I soon took out the milk and bananas and replaced them with water and berries. I just buy bags of frozen berries at the store and thaw them out one at a time as needed.

I plan in the near future to start adding cottage cheese and plain (not vanilla, plain) yogurt. Right now the taste is hard to beat, and I don’t like either of these, but we’ll see.

I didn’t include ingredients because I like to vary it a little day to day to make it taste different so I don’t get tired of it.

Anyway, anyone else make their own shakes. Any ideas??

[quote]browncy wrote:
A few months ago I bought a blender and started making my own post workout high GI protein shakes.

Milk
Bananas
Natural Peanut Butter
Flax Seed
Oatmeal
Wheat Germ
Protein Powder

Yes I know the natural peanut butter goes against the high GI you want after a workout but it’s such good stuff and making it an ingredient in my shake is about the only way I can get it in my diet. Plus I’m trying to gain a few pounds.

I soon took out the milk and bananas and replaced them with water and berries. I just buy bags of frozen berries at the store and thaw them out one at a time as needed.

I plan in the near future to start adding cottage cheese and plain (not vanilla, plain) yogurt. Right now the taste is hard to beat, and I don’t like either of these, but we’ll see.

I didn’t include ingredients because I like to vary it a little day to day to make it taste different so I don’t get tired of it.

Anyway, anyone else make their own shakes. Any ideas??[/quote]

The rate of gastric empyting for that shake is rather slow. This will not help keep your muscle cells more insulin sensitive throughout the rest of the day as positively as something consisting of no fat, and HI GI carbs(fructose has a low GI actually) and a fast digesting protein (not cottage cheese which is 80% casseine).

You don’t have to thaw out frozen fruit before you throw it in; it makes it thicker I belive, like adding ice, except it does not water down the taste.

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
browncy wrote:

Milk
Bananas
Natural Peanut Butter
Flax Seed
Oatmeal
Wheat Germ
Protein Powder

Anyway, anyone else make their own shakes. Any ideas??

The rate of gastric empyting for that shake is rather slow. This will not help keep your muscle cells more insulin sensitive throughout the rest of the day as positively as something consisting of no fat, and HI GI carbs(fructose has a low GI actually) and a fast digesting protein (not cottage cheese which is 80% casseine).

[/quote]

So, perhaps this would be a better MRP (or a 4th or 5th meal?). Or, a breakfast on the go, or breakfast before a workout?

“The rate of gastric empyting for that shake is rather slow. This will not help keep your muscle cells more insulin sensitive throughout the rest of the day as positively as something consisting of no fat, and HI GI carbs(fructose has a low GI actually) and a fast digesting protein (not cottage cheese which is 80% casseine).”

followed by

“Shit I couldn’t even push my little nissan 240sx on its own today to get it jumped.”

I do something similar with my shakes. However, I always use Surge to get the high GI punch following a workout. My homemade “lower GI” shake is to consume another thousand calories or so following the Surge over the next couple of hours.

My daily shake is as follows:

2 bananas [0.9 bananas each ;)]
1 large scoop of cottage chz and yogurt
8 to 12 oz. of skim milk
4 oz. of water
1 large scoop of frozen berries
1 overflowing cup of uncooked oatmeal
3 overflowing scoops of protein powder (half Grow! and half Optimum Nutrition)

A great on-the-go shake that packs a wallop of calories. It is lower GI but again, I’m getting the GI punch with Surge. Good stuff, man. Good stuff.

Randman;
What is the consistency of those shakes when you’re done? I’ve tried uncooked blended oatmeal in several concoctions and it always ended up feeling like I was trying to drink half-set concrete.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:

“Shit I couldn’t even push my little nissan 240sx on its own today to get it jumped.”[/quote]

Sounds like a dig for those NOT on the AD? (he’s right!)

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
Randman;
What is the consistency of those shakes when you’re done? I’ve tried uncooked blended oatmeal in several concoctions and it always ended up feeling like I was trying to drink half-set concrete.[/quote]

Blend the oatmeal and liquid first for a minute or so and it will break down nicely.

Randman,

Good job with the .9 of a Bananna. As we all know, that last bit will slow gastric emptying.

Little known fact, Gwen Stefani’s Holla Back Girl song orig. had the lyric “This shit is .9 of a bananna,
b-a-n-a-n-a-s”

"Sounds like a dig for those NOT on the AD? (he’s right!) "

Nah, not really for non-AD’ers…more for people who over think every small aspect of training/eating to the point where they spend more time thinking than lifting…if you are worried about gastric emptying and can’t push a small car, maybe you should spend more time squatting…

that sort of thing.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
"Sounds like a dig for those NOT on the AD? (he’s right!) "

Nah, not really for non-AD’ers…more for people who over think every small aspect of training/eating to the point where they spend more time thinking than lifting…if you are worried about gastric emptying and can’t push a small car, maybe you should spend more time squatting…

that sort of thing.[/quote]

The car was on a hill…and I had just ran about 5 miles. As far as squatting goes here’s my workout for today:

Singles Club Day 1:
Squats 365lbs 14x1
Deadlifts (I switched exercises from the program) 345 for 14 sets of 1. My main limiting factor on deads is my wrist. I could do more weight if I choose to use an over-under grip but I prefer to strengthen it.
Seated Calf raises - 14x1 at 170 (Puny calves)

Also I did push my nissan down a parking garage for about a quarter mile once with a sprained ligament in my knee. That hurt!

P.S. What’s the “AD?”

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
Randman;
What is the consistency of those shakes when you’re done? I’ve tried uncooked blended oatmeal in several concoctions and it always ended up feeling like I was trying to drink half-set concrete.[/quote]

Add more water then. It’s thick, but drinkable.

Wait, you cant get PB into your diet?

Last time I checked 2 PB and honey sandwich was the easiest meal of the day.

ANABOLIC DIET (AD)

Il, ok, you’re STILL right (even MORE right than before)