T Nation

Homemade Weight Gainer with Food Allergies

Hey, guys!! Merry Christmas!!
I require some assistance, though. I am returning to college to begin the new semester soon, which means I won't be at home, so less food and less money :-/
I've decided not to spend 52+ dollars on weight gainer tubs anymore and thought it might be cheaper and more cost-effective to just make my own.

There's a problem, though, and that would be my damn IBS and food allergies.
They include, but are not limited to:
- All nuts known to man and anything related (so peanut butter is out of the question)
- Bananas (another good ingredient that I can't eat)

so basically the two best ingredients that I can use to make a homemade shake are out of the question. So are there any substitutes I can use that can make a decent shake? I'm basically on a permabulk possessing a lightning fast metabolism so I don't particularly care how potentially fattening it might be. I already know about olive oil and ice cream, also.

Thanks!!

whey protein, oats, olive oil is about the cheapest weight gainer you can make

[quote]Yogi wrote:
whey protein, oats, olive oil is about the cheapest weight gainer you can make[/quote]
how many calories do you think that adds up to? I typically used mass gainers that had 1000+ calories in them, which was convenient and nice. I doubt I’ll be able to get quite that much but hopefully I’ll be able to come close.

[quote]MalignantTyrant wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
whey protein, oats, olive oil is about the cheapest weight gainer you can make[/quote]
how many calories do you think that adds up to? I typically used mass gainers that had 1000+ calories in them, which was convenient and nice. I doubt I’ll be able to get quite that much but hopefully I’ll be able to come close.

[/quote]

depends on how much you add of each. 50g of oats is like 200 calories, 30g of whey is a little over 100 calories so it wouldn’t be hard to add a couple of hundred cals of olive oil or coconut oil or whatever.

2 of those a day’d be about 1000 calories.

Original greek yogurt with probiotics

try digestive enzymes with betaine hcl for the IBS

By nuts do you include coconut, or coconut butter?

I have been thinking about trying potato starch in a shake. Tapioca flour might work too.

I’m thinking coconut butter, potato starch and protein with maybe some berries.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
By nuts do you include coconut, or coconut butter?

I have been thinking about trying potato starch in a shake. Tapioca flour might work too.

I’m thinking coconut butter, potato starch and protein with maybe some berries.[/quote]
I might be allergic to coconut, I’m actually not 100% sure since I haven’t encountered any foods with coconut for years and typically don’t eat it. I’d rather not find out heh heh

Eggs, whole milk, oats, and sugar.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

I have been thinking about trying potato starch in a shake[/quote]

I do that. 1 tbsp potato starch and 1tbsp of psyllium fibre in every shake I drink. My toilet paper is for guests only these days