T Nation

Homemade Weight Bench

Hello chaps.

I’m sorry if I’m not posting this in the right forum, I wasn’t sure where to put it.

Basically I’m looking into getting a simple, non-adjustable flat bench and I was thinking of making one myself (from wood). I thought it would be a fun little project and it would be cheaper than buying one.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this (or something similar) and could give any advice?

Thank you for your time.

No help for you there sorry mate, I just do without.

Benches are too cheap to make one unless you are REAL good with some tools.

If my safety is a matter at hand, I will pay the extra cash so the shit doesn’t collapse on me while trying to build my chest.

Apex makes a good flat bench for like 50 bucks.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Benches are too cheap to make one unless you are REAL good with some tools.

If my safety is a matter at hand, I will pay the extra cash so the shit doesn’t collapse on me while trying to build my chest.[/quote]

Agreed. Who will you sue when you guillotine yourself on your whack-ass homemade bench? Think of the children, won’t you?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Benches are too cheap to make one unless you are REAL good with some tools.

If my safety is a matter at hand, I will pay the extra cash so the shit doesn’t collapse on me while trying to build my chest.[/quote]

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Apex makes a good flat bench for like 50 bucks.[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys. Howie - thanks but I’m Scottish and haven’t found one for less than the equivalent of $65 over here. Not a huge amount, but I really don’t have any spare cash. Good name btw :).

I think I should be able to make one that can hold up, as the heaviest I’ll use it for is a 88lb kettlebell one-arm press at a bodyweight of 220lb. So it’s not like it’ll be withstanding massive weights.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Benches are too cheap to make one unless you are REAL good with some tools.

If my safety is a matter at hand, I will pay the extra cash so the shit doesn’t collapse on me while trying to build my chest.[/quote]

Agreed. Who will you sue when you guillotine yourself on your whack-ass homemade bench? Think of the children, won’t you?[/quote]

Lol I should have specified in the OP - all I’m planning on using this for is one-arm kettlebell presses, not maxing out on the bench press.

You’ve seen this? http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/05/strongest-bench-youll-never-buy.html

Maybe a little overengineered, but looks good enough to me.

Oh, I see. Carry on, then!

[quote]furo wrote:
Hello chaps.

I’m sorry if I’m not posting this in the right forum, I wasn’t sure where to put it.

Basically I’m looking into getting a simple, non-adjustable flat bench and I was thinking of making one myself (from wood). I thought it would be a fun little project and it would be cheaper than buying one.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this (or something similar) and could give any advice?

Thank you for your time.
[/quote]
I just don’t really trust wood. If you could weld I would say go for it but wood just seems sketchy to me.

Do you want the bench to be at a standard height?

You can make two boxes and lay them end to end. If you make the dimensions something like 2 feet x 2.5 x 3, you’ll have a set you can use for pulling/plyo boxes as well

Scaffolding planks are stout enough.
If you’re going ultra-basic, stick bricks underneath it. I didn’t use any mortar, but arguably you should
If you want padding, see if you can get some blue padded sheeting from a factory. It’s good stuff and not too squidgy.
If you want uprights, I’d make them out of mild steel. Box-section works, but use a heavy guage.


I took onboard what people were saying about safety and making sure that my bench was sturdy enough, so I’ve compromised on it.

Instead of building a full-size bench I’ve built a very low one, out of 3in x 3in post, that stands only 6in tall. It’s very sturdy and, although low, still allows me to reach full ROM. Also it’s small size means that I can easily tidy it away.

It’s not a thing of beauty, but it does the job!

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Do you want the bench to be at a standard height?

You can make two boxes and lay them end to end. If you make the dimensions something like 2 feet x 2.5 x 3, you’ll have a set you can use for pulling/plyo boxes as well[/quote]

Thanks, that’s a great idea. The only issue is I don’t have a dedicated home gym area like a garage or whatever, I just train in my living room, and boxes like that would take up too much space. Good idea though!

nice, that looks solid

makes sense that you don’t care about the height, considering you’re doing 1 arm presses