Homemade Torture Chamber

Just got my Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar today, so I could finally load her up and see how sturdy it is. And It is extremely stable, it barely sways when I try my hardest to rock it with all the weight loaded on it. It took maybe 60 hrs to build. I can’t wait to get some fresh air tomorrow morning at 6:00am while I squat in front of the window while saving money and time, and having a long enough workout for plenty of assistance work.

Brings a tear to my eye just looking at it.

You’re a douchebag, Carbiduis. But that is an awesome set-up!

Nice work, man! She’s looks like a beast!

That is beautiful. If I may ask, how much did materials set you back?

edit: Nevermind it was right there the whole time.

Fantastic. Well done good sir. And it looks as if the 2x12 base plates will make a nice rack pull as well.

That’s pretty cool.

Just replace double rainbow with wooden squat rack.

While that is really cool and everything, I have to question how much you really “saved”. If you value your time at $10/hr (extremely low amount, IMO), you essentially spent $600 worth of time and $400 worth of materials for a total of $1000. Isn’t that roughly what you would expect to pay for something similar? And wouldn’t the one purchased from Elite or some place similar be sturdier, last longer, more versatile, etc.

Again, not to take away from what you did, I think it’s pretty cool.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
While that is really cool and everything, I have to question how much you really “saved”. If you value your time at $10/hr (extremely low amount, IMO), you essentially spent $600 worth of time and $400 worth of materials for a total of $1000. Isn’t that roughly what you would expect to pay for something similar? And wouldn’t the one purchased from Elite or some place similar be sturdier, last longer, more versatile, etc.

[/quote]

Stop being an accountant for 5 minutes…

Ehh… what kind of bit did you use to drill those holes?

Just kidding. Nice work.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Stop being an accountant for 5 minutes…[/quote]

Tax season is over. Relax Lanky.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

But what is the additional value of the skills he created or improved while making this behemoth?

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, plus the way I see it the hr/wage analysis doesn’t really fit. No one pays you on your down time. Sure there’s an earnings opportunity loss if OP choose to make his rack vs. working, but that’s about it.

usmccds423, llc doesn’t pay me during my personal time. So when I cut the grass I’m not losing x$/hr.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, plus the way I see it the hr/wage analysis doesn’t really fit. No one pays you on your down time. Sure there’s an earnings opportunity loss if OP choose to make his rack vs. working, but that’s about it.

usmccds423, llc doesn’t pay me during my personal time. So when I cut the grass I’m not losing x$/hr. [/quote]
But you could be working another job to earn money.

Assuming the OP enjoyed making the rack, you could also say he paid $6.60/hr for recreational time plus some education as someone else pointed out. Which isn’t too bad on its own even without considering the sweet rack he got out of it. Hell of a deal.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Fair Point

I had originally predicted this thing to cost around $250. What happened is I chose safety/strength over the budget;

1-3/16" bar was $60…I had originally planned on using 1" for about $30 (which is standard for a lot of racks, so in my eyes, my safety rails are better)

I was going to use 1/2" hardware. But then my pipe fitter friend said he had some extra at his shop to donate, which turned out to be 3/4" threaded rod and hex nuts. To keep uniformity, I switched to the 3/4" and that shit is expensive He saved me about $70, but I also had to spend more on the remaining hardware I had to provide in lieu of the 1/2".

the 1" bolts holding the J-hooks were originally going to be 3/4". The 1" hardware for the J-hooks was $30.

I would take my rack over any of the lower end metal racks (I remember seeing a weight capacity of 300lbs for a $300 rack). If you spent $400 on a new rack (even used, based on what I found on craigslist) it would not have nearly the strength that mine has. In order to get a more serious rack, you would have to spend well over what I spent.

Like USSMC said, I don’t get paid shit to sit at home after work, so I consider the money I save ($90+/mo) vs them money spent on the rack ~$330 (since my friend helped with the hardware)

I am guessing that it will be about 10mo before my home gym is paid for by the savings. ($330/rack + $210/weights + $280/Barbell + $140/bench)

I’m really happy with how it turned out. This morning I was doing top-half squats with 455 and the safety rails had barely any detectable flex to them which made me happy.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

usmccds423, llc doesn’t pay me during my personal time. So when I cut the grass I’m not losing x$/hr. [/quote]
But you could be working another job to earn money. [/quote]

Absolutely, that’s why I said there’s an earnings opportunity loss.

I am envious of your possession of this thing as well as your ability to construct it.

Well done.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

But you could be working another job to earn money. [/quote]

Absolutely, that’s why I said there’s an earnings opportunity loss. [/quote]
True and I should not post quickly and actually read what you posted.

So anyway.
OP watch out for termites and other wood dwelling bugs.