T Nation

Homemade Protein/Energy Shakes?

i dont really feel like spending alot of money on supplements, but i wanna know what i can use at home to make a good shake… any ideas?

egg

Grow! Whey is really cheap, but you could always just drink milk.

Grow! Whey is actually a fairly inexpensive source of protein. You might end up saving money.

Seriously, a cheap source of whey will work out cheaper then buying food, and make your life easier. Its the only supplement I take since I don’t have money to spend on supplements.

Otherwise milk.

milk , eggs and a can of tuna.

if you have the balls lol

buy a protein powder c’mon work it out , cost effective higher biological value easily digested/ingested source of protein.

Do you guys use protein shake as meaning PWO nutrition- whey+carb(usually)?

Guess I’ve been using the wrong terminology; I usually call blended items such as oats fruits whey nuts lalalala as protein shakes :slight_smile:

I bought a 10lb bag of Optimum nutrition chocolate whey for 77 bucks on BB.com.

If I take 1 scoop per workout it’ll last me most of the year(145 servings or so). I did some math and it costs about 8 bucks a month. If you can’t afford that…

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I bought a 10lb bag of Optimum nutrition chocolate whey for 77 bucks on BB.com.

If I take 1 scoop per workout it’ll last me most of the year(145 servings or so). I did some math and it costs about 8 bucks a month. If you can’t afford that…[/quote]

That works out to $7.70 a pound; which is a TON.

OP, if you are really short on cash…search the internet for bulk sources.

Grow! is good though.

MAYBE Biotest WILL HAVE ANOTHER SALE. (hint)

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Seriously, a cheap source of whey will work out cheaper then buying food, and make your life easier. Its the only supplement I take since I don’t have money to spend on supplements.

Otherwise milk.[/quote]

I completely agree with this. As a college student who’s tight on money, I find it much cheaper to buy Grow! Whey and use it in half of my my meals per day as opposed to buying meat for all 6 of them. Meat’s especially expensive if you want to go for the healthy, organic stuff…which is pretty important to do.

[quote]Jbrownbuilds wrote:
i dont really feel like spending alot of money on supplements, but i wanna know what i can use at home to make a good shake… any ideas?[/quote]

I’ve just started making shakes again and they are so cheap and convenient. I use 50 grams of milk protein which is 80 percent casein and 20 percent whey.

I mix the protein with cocoa powder and sugar with water. The cocoa gives a really good energy boost and is dirt cheap.

I buy my protein powder in bulk and it works out much cheaper than other protein sources, even milk.