Homemade protein bars

Anyone got any good recipes for some protein bars you can make at home with some whey protein powder? Any help would be appreciated!

None here, but that’s a great idea.

Hmm. You can improvise them easy enough.

Try somethign like this.

Brown Rice Syrup
Whole wheat pastry flour
Whole oats
Peanut butter
Whey protein powder

If you end up with a ball you are probably on the right track. Spread it out and chill it. It is unlikely to taste good in this incarnation but something along those lines would keep it together. This is clearly going to be high in carbs as well.

Checkout the Grow recipies thread it had a couple great ones.

I remember someone not too far back gave a recipe for protein bars that were cooked in the oven after mixing the ingredients. Hopefully someone can find it again. Until then here are a few things I found…

Would this work.

MCTs
Protein Powder - Strawberry
Sugar Free Gello - Strawberry
Splenda

There’s a low carb bar. Perhaps, you could freeze it then let in unthaw before eating?

Check out issue 313, just two weeks ago.

The article is called Shake it Up.

Do a search on Google. I did about a month ago and found a ton. I cut and pasted them into Word so now I have a little recipe stash.

Take 1 and 1/4 cup peanut butter
add 9 tablespoons of honey, then melt in the microwave for 80 seconds.
Stir in 1 cup raw oats and 1 1/4 cup vanilla grow. Put in a 9 by 11 pan and let cool before you cut them. If it doesnt stick to gether, the next time just add more peanut butter and honey.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this forum and I was curious as to what had happened with the post in which a T-magger asked that since Biotest cut-out the middle man, would that make it profitable for Biotest to make Grow bars again?

doesn’t heating the protein in protein powders denature it and make it lose “value”?

Beaman13,

That’s a good point. There are conflicting points on this issue.

1 - It devalues the protein powder.

2 - It dilutes the amino acids into smaller molecules making them easier for the body to digest and process.

I hope the second theory is the correct one.

I’ve had some success with these - just make sure you don’t overcook them.

Peanut-Butter Banana Bars

8 scoops vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
2 cups rolled oats
4 medium bananas (raw)
1.2 oz banana chips (about one handful)
4 tbsp chunky peanut butter
Splenda, to taste - leave this out if you’re a real man :slight_smile:
1 tsp salt

Instructions:

1. In a clean, dry blender, process one cup of rolled oats into flour (blend on medium for about 1 minute).

2. After removing the oat flour, put the banana chips into the blender and chop into chips (only takes a few seconds).

3. Put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together: oat flour, the remaining rolled oats (1 cup), chopped banana chips, protein powder, Splenda, salt.

4. Slice the raw bananas into the blender and process on medium speed, until producing a puree. Add the peanut butter and blend for a few seconds, just until mixed (you want to leave some peanut chunks for texture).

5. Stir the banana-peanut butter puree together with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

6. Cut 8 squares of aluminum foil, about 6X10 inches each. Lightly coat the interior with a cooking spray. Spoon out an equal portion of the mixture onto each foil square, and roll them into a bar shape. I fold them like tamales, folding the ends over as well. You can flatten them into bar shapes if you want, to avoid the resemblance to what it might look like after it passes through your body.

7. Bake the bars in the foil in a preheated oven at 350-degrees F, for 16-20 minutes. Be sure not to overcook

Nutritional Information:

(Makes 8 bars)

Each Bar:
k/cal - 323
Protein - 28 g
Fat - 8 g (3s, 3m, 2p)
Carbohydrates - 37 g (5 fiber)

The bars can stay in the foil until you’re ready to eat them, and they don’t need to be refrigerated, unless you want to keep them for longer than a week or so.

That looks pretty good Johnka. Do you have any low carb bar recipes for people who are cutting?

T-man,

For low-carb bars, I usually mix together a bunch of flax meal, chocolate whey, and peanut butter in a large bowl. You can divide it up into bars in Saran Wrap. Tastes like flaxy peanut butter cups.

For a fancier bar, you might try this recipe that I included in an article at John Berardi’s site.

Almond-Coconut Bars

Here’s a variation of the previous bars, with a few more bells and whistles, making them taste sort-of like an Almond Joy, if you have a vivid imagination.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flax seed meal
5 tablespoons lowfat cream cheese
1/2 cup sliced almonds (blanched and raw)
5 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
1/4 cup water
? tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
Instructions:

Nuke the cream cheese just until it’s soft enough to mix.
Combine all dry ingredients in bowl, and then mix in the rest, until it becomes a big glob. Resist the temptation to add more water; just keep stirring and it will mix.
Press into 8x8 brownie pan, sprayed with pam.
Chill and cut into 5 pieces. Put each piece in plastic wrap and store in fridge or freezer.
Like the other bars, these melt very easily; so don’t keep them in your back pocket.

Makes 5 bars.

Macronutrient Profile (each bar):

K/cal: 270
Fat: 14 g (4 s, 5m, 5p)
Carbs: 12 g (3 fiber)
Protein: 27 g