Homemade Gym Tips?

I’ve got plenty of equipment, but my major issue is it’s all outside. I’m looking for an relatively cheap way to get my weights out of the weather and have room to do most of my lifts. Any ideas?

I use a standard Olympic bar with the cast iron plates

find space to put weights inside
bring said weights inside

profit?

A garage? A storage unit? Spare bedroom? Basement?

Not sure what you’re looking for.

They even make outdoor tent frames so you could keep things covered.

I train in a lean to made from pallets.

If you can’t find a place at home a storage unit is probably your best bet.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I train in a lean to made from pallets.[/quote]

That’s pretty hardcore, but I heard about this guy who trains in a yurt made from animal bones and the hides of predators he hunted with a spear.

I’m slowly welding a set up out of “structural” (read: cracked) drill pipe.

When I get to a not-embarassing stage, I’ll post pictures.

Old pipe is pretty easy to pick up at scrap iron (or free) prices for the haul away. Very high quality steel – just cut off the cracked bits.

1 - Used carport
2 - Ecofoil radiant barrier foil
3 - Lift

Is rust an issue where you live?

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I train in a lean to made from pallets.[/quote]

That’s pretty hardcore, but I heard about this guy who trains in a yurt made from animal bones and the hides of predators he hunted with a spear.

[/quote]

I stayed in yurt before, it was pretty pleasant.

Build a shed? Whats your budget?

My house is on the small side, and I’m too lazy to train in a cold ass shed / too cheap to heat it, so when I bought it the first thing I did was knock out the master bedroom closet, sister the floor joists that were less than great, drop down 2 layers of plywood, and lay stall mats down. Used some barn door hinges, and 2x12s / 2x10s / 2x8s /2x4s and built a bed that folds up. Now the bedroom has more than enough room for my squat rack / glute ham bench / dumbells / barbell / plates, and plenty of space to use them too (other than ceiling hight is still insufficient for standing overhead presses and my head grazes the ceiling when I chin). Cheap to do, and having a rack+chains in the bedroom is handy for more than just squatting. I did something similar the last apartment I lived in but there wasn’t room for the GHR (which at that time I had to keep in the living room with my heavy bag and speed bag).

I do recomend using some brackets on the 2x4s that hold the matress up if you go that route though instead of just screws. I’ve busted a few of them fucking too hard.

You know how I know you’re single…

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
You know how I know you’re single…[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking, but still, props to you for going the extra mile.

yes rust is an issue so I believe I’m going to take cinderblocks and line them with pallet and insulate some how like a makeshift lean to

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
yes rust is an issue so I believe I’m going to take cinderblocks and line them with pallet and insulate some how like a makeshift lean to
[/quote]

Is it at least covered? You might be able to rig shower curtains or something to try and keep water out. Obviously moisture is another issue. It’s a problem I’ve encountered with my garage gym (which is insulated pretty well)