T Nation

Homemade Greek Yogurt

Mark Bittman put up a new "Minimalist" blog today and the subject was homemade Greek Yogurt.

It's ridiculously easy and will save a ton of money for those of us that like Greek Yogurt (higher protein content per serving than regular yogurt is always a plus).

Check it out: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/dining/17mini.html?ref=dining

Is the nutritional value the same? How doest his method raise the protein content? Or is this just giving regular yogurt the consistency of Greek yogurt?

It gives it the same consistency as greek yogurt. As for the nutritional profile, if you measure out 1 cup of regular yogurt (~226 grams) and strain it, you will lose half the volume due to water loss, so 1 cup of strained yogurt would technically be 2 cups of plain, thus doubling the nutritional profile.

Dollar for dollar, it's going to be cheaper to make greek yogurt as opposed to buying it.

How much does greek yogurt cost where you live? It's only $1.25 per container in NJ. Not really worth the time and effort to make it myself.

I'll do that with a vacuum flask

I think theres better options when buying it. ive foung greek yogurt with 21 grams of protien per serving...

If you seperate out all the liquid, isn't that going to include the whey (milky colored liquid that seperates from the yogurt)? Isn't the whey what has most of the protein in yogurt? I'm asking, not telling...

Milk protein is 20% whey and 80% casein, and straining off the liquid gets rid of whey and sugar which is why greek yogurt is lower carb. It also lowers total protein content, but it actually increases the protein percentage.

does anyone have any figures on how much of the sugar actually is removed from this process?

Good to know.

I've been making homemade yogurt for several years due to a family member with crohn's. It is extremely easy and much more healthy than store bought.

The liquid on top is whey, but there is little sugar as it has been converted by the culture.

I ferment it for 24 hours which allows the live culture to consume the lactose and increase the level of good bacteria culture.

Store bought yogurts only culture for a few hours due to production time and add milk solids, starches and whatnot to thicken it up. Not all of the lactose is converted in this time frame.

Like any other processed product, yogurt, live cultured or not varies drastically when made in a plant vs in your kitchen.

People with milk intolerance handle yogurt made in this way very well and can replenish healthy gut flora.

Most store bought yogurt is not live culture and the ones that are, may be high in sugar and other additives such as milk solids and whatnot.

Sometimes I make cream cheese by simply straining the yogurt.

Healthy cream cheese, low lactose content, high in protein, high in beneficial flora content.
This cream cheese can be used in place of sour cream, used as a meat tenderiser or sandwitch spread.

I call it cream cheese which it is, others call it greek yogurt (it's not greek, and is popular in most societies that ferment food).

I use the yogurt every a.m. in fruit and protein smoothies.

Cost me $3 for 2 liters (Roughly 2 quarts for the metric shy).

Cheap, easier than anything else you make, far better and cheaper than anything you can buy, vast health benefits ......

If you consume dairy, this should be at the top of your list!
If you can make kraft dinner you can make yogurt and cream cheese (greek yogurt).

I don't even understand why it's called Greek yogurt. It's strained yogurt.

Easiest way to do it:

1) Put coffee paper over a large plastic colander.
2) Plop yogurt into colander.
3) Place colander into a very large bowl.
4) Put in refrigerator for half a day or more.

Voila!

It's higher in protein per unit of measurement because water is drained from it.