T Nation

Homemade GHR's

It’s taken me a while, but I finally figured out a way to do glute ham raises in my home gym using my oval ball, decline ab bench and iron woody band.

GHRs are such a great exercise I really wanted to find a way to include them, but other variations hurt my knees too much.

Just thought I’d post the pics and video in case it helps someone else.

I had to add the wooden board because my feet didn’t quite reach the wall behind me, but someone with longer legs might not need it. Before I thought to use the band around the ball, I had trouble with the ball slipping out from under me.

Hope the video works :slight_smile:

Took me a while to figure out a way to do them, too. There was a post here on the Nation that showed a way to do them on a lat-pulldown machine. You kneel on the seat of the machine facing away from the tower, with your heels hooked under the knee brace. Then you can grab a triceps rope attached to the cable, pull it down so the ball ends are in front of your chest, with the clip for the rope behind your neck.

Then you can use the weight stack to help, if you can’t do them all on your own. Kinda sucks having your knees that close together, though. You could always just pad out a board to hook to the seat crosswise, to get your knees further apart.

The other way I found that was pretty cool was setting an adjustable incline situp board right up against a high pulley, with the foot braces up against the stack.  face away from the stack, hook your heels under the knee braces, and use a triceps rope the same as on the pulldown machine like I said above.  

Our situp board was one that adjusted from pretty flat up to at least forty-five degrees. All that adjustment range was pretty cool, you could do GHR’s with your feet way up above your knees, and start at the bottom with your body pointing down at a good angle. I always thought that the dedicated GHR machines should adjust in that fashion.

I hope that all made some sense, there's not really any way I can post pics.

very cool, nice ingenuity

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hmm, I thought my form was decent, but looking again I think I can try to come more completely upright at the end and put my knees a little higher on the ball.

Here’s how I’m trying to do it:
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/JimTrav/Glute-Ham%20Raise.mpg

Are you thinking of the same thing or something different, Bushy? Is my form that far off? :slight_smile:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

an easier setup would be to just use a barbell and put it against the wall and put a couple of salt bags or any kind of bag or something somewhat heavy against the barbell to keep it from moving and then put ur feet under the bar and put some pillows under ur knees to keep from grinding ur knees into the ground

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Hmm, I thought my form was decent, but looking again I think I can try to come more completely upright at the end and put my knees a little higher on the ball.

Here’s how I’m trying to do it:
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/JimTrav/Glute-Ham%20Raise.mpg

[/quote]

you are doing a nice job of approximating the guy in vid (albeit with some rebound from the ball).

as for the vid:

that guy is on a ghr machine but is only doing the uppermost/easiest portion of the lift. it’s the 1/4 squat version of the ghr. look @ the angle of his torso to ground(and yours) when fully extended.

the lift is already more than halfway completed and there is very little recruitment in this half of lift/ you’re completely missing out on that grueling bottom to mid-lift hump which is pretty comparable to the difference between a 1/4 squat an atg squat with the same weight.

to do a proper ghr the guy in the vid would have to move the foot pads UP about 3-4 pegs causing the angle of his torso to ground to be at least parallel. likewise for your set-up you could fashion some pegs higher up on the wall or a lower pad.

i see people in the gym doing ghr’s with the machine set like that and they’re holding 45’s …makes no sense because they still can’t do a single ghr through the full range with their own bodyweight.

Heh, Bushy just reminded me of something I used to do when I first started lifting in my parents basement. I’d set a stool out in front of my dad’s workbench and hook my heels under it, with my hips resting on the stool. I’d be up high eough to do the first part of a GHR. Can’t do the second part, though, because the top of the stool was flat, of course. Could also turn around and hold on the workbench with my hands and my hips on the stool to do reverse hypers.

Kind of cool remembering that, hadn’t thought of it in a long time. Thought those up on my own, long before I’d ever seen anyone doing the reverse hyper or heard of it.

Jilly, I don’t know if you would be interested in adding a GHR to your home gym, but I currently have one I am looking to clear out of my gym to make space, since I recently bought one from elitefts along with other equipment and need the space.

If you’d possibly be interested, feel free to PM me and we can discuss details. I also have a reverse hyper, as well, just in case you had any interest.

T-Bone, thank you, send me a PM with the prices :slight_smile:

Does anyone have a better video clip of a good GHR form I can study? Thanks!

I got this GHR from ExRx. Looks just about perfect to me.

Nice abs Jilly.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Well compared to the vid, your form is great, it’s just that I would call that a hamstring aise, not a glute hamstring raise.

However when I put GHR into google, I got the same exercise that you posted.

Apparently the exercise I was referring to is called a 45 degree hyperextension.
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BB45HipExtension.html

However, since I don’t flex or extend the spine, it all comes from the hips, meaning more activation of the glutes and hams.

So it could be me that has the wrong end of the stick :slight_smile:

Would be keen to hear from others on this topic. Have I got it wrong?

Bushy[/quote]

WTF?! Do you even know what a glute ham raise is?! If not, why are you commenting on her form?

The OP is doing a pretty good GHR, based on the equipment she has. Here is how one should look at the top of a GHR:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4100&tid=105

Here is how you look at the beginning and end of the motion:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pumping_the_posterior.htm

The OP was pretty close to being there. Again, it’s imperfect equipment, but still she’s getting many of the benefits of a GHR.

When will people start showing some decency by NOT commenting about things they clearly know nothing about?

[quote]Jillybop wrote:

Does anyone have a better video clip of a good GHR form I can study? Thanks!
[/quote]

Your form is just about as good as it gets based on what you have set up. Because of the unstable set-up, you won’t be able to get the full drive from your hips. It’s sort of like doing push-ups on a swiss ball or dead lifting on a piece of foam. The soft/unstable surface is going to absorb some of the force. Otherwise, though, you’re fine.

The person who criticized your form clearly didn’t know what he was talking about. This should not surprise anyone these days.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I got this GHR from ExRx. Looks just about perfect to me.[/quote]

to me that’s more like a hyper than ghr.
the hyper-part is when he’s bent @ the waist- no glute/ham effort there- and then it’s like his glutes and hams are engaged for a splitsecond when he’s extended but he’s got the knee-pad so low his knees drop and shorten the lever, effectively lightening the load, as he goes up. what’s the point of increasing load (hands behind the kneck) if you’re just going to decrease it by allowing the fulcrum to slide ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2EC-mW1w0g&mode=related&search=

[quote]swivel wrote:
what’s the point of increasing load (hands behind the kneck) if you’re just going to decrease it by allowing the fulcrum to slide ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2EC-mW1w0g&mode=related&search=

[/quote]

I see what you mean, but those of us with bad knees just cannot have the load on them when kneeling on the floor as in the partnered version in your videos. I use a GHR similar to the one pictured in the animated gif I posted. The kneepad on my machine is not adjustable. Having the fulcrum on my quads may not be a “real” glute ham raise, but that was the way I was taught to do it.

And as my old coach used to say, I was just goin’ with what brung me.

Swivel, I see your point, but there is just no way my knees can take it. I tried it on the floor with pillows, towels, etc and it was unbearably painful. I think I will try to raise up the back end of the bench (where my feet are) and see if that makes it more intense at all. I’ll also try putting my knees up higher on the ball. Thanks for your feedback and the vids.

Zap, thank you :slight_smile:

CaliforniaLaw, thanks for the feedback. Bushy was polite and it’s made for some interesting discussion, so it’s all good.

Yo Momma, thanks for the vid, it matches what I was thinking and what I did the few times I got to use a real GHR bench.