Homemade Farmer's Walk Bar

Anyone tried making their own? I wanted to buy it but it seems to be quite expensive =[. By the way, whats the difference between using that bar and regular heavy dumbells?

Well last time I checked, dumbbells don’t go up to 350 lbs. for me to carry in each hand!!!

Dumbbells roll out of your hands. Farmers don’t. Think suitcase… the handle only pulls, it cannot roll.

I made my own. Two 4’ lengths of pipe 2" outside diameter. Slide a 24" piece of 2" inside diameter pipe over them to the middle. 1" x 3/16" bar stock cut to 8" (4 of them). Those along with two 10" pieces of old olympic barbell using the knurled part make up the handles.

I brought them to a welder to weld up nice for $30.00!

The steel probably cost me $15.00 total from a metal supply scrap rack. I had it laying around.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1123368

I have a pair 45lb plates with handles cut out of the sides, and I use ratchet straps to tie on extra plates. The extra plates have to be smaller than the 45, or you won’t be able to get your hand through the handle. 25’s and 10’s work great. I have only tried up to 120lbs for each hand which is enough for me, but the straps can hold up to 1500lbs in theory so you can probably go a lot heavier if you have the plates.

The best part is, this set up was practically free because I already had the plates and the straps!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221781-52800-BANR400

you can get a set for 90 bucks or so

www.marunde-muscle.com/pitbull.html

if you have a Trap Bar, turn it on it’s side and carry it like that. It’s pictured in one of the old “exercises you’ve never tried” articles.

“if you have a Trap Bar, turn it on it’s side and carry it like that. It’s pictured in one of the old “exercises you’ve never tried” articles.”

dang, genius! that will do until i get a real one! thanks!

It’s also good to carry after you deadlift with it. Deadlift, Carry, repeat.

yeah i was going to say, you don’t need to turn it to use it as a farmer’s walk bar… it’s all pulling straight down like the walk bars do.