Homemade beef jerky recipe

Hello, all.

For those of you who like to snack on beef jerky – but you find the price a bit high and would rather not shell out a few hundred for a meat drier – this is for you.

The best meat to start with is a good london broil, as you get plenty of bang for your buck.

a. Cut the meat into quarter inch slices, 4 to 6 inches long. The slices on the ends will obviously be shorter.

b. Soak overnight in a marinade of your choice. My personal favorite is teriyaki.

c. Preheat the oven to between 125 and 140. Place the meat slices directly on the center oven rack. Line the bottom of the oven with plenty of tin foil to collect the drippings.

d. Allow to cook for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat is thoroughly dried out.

Tips:

Setting your oven low (125) and letting the meat cook for the longest time (6 hours) seems to work best. A higher oven setting coupled with shorter cooking time tends to burn it somewhat.

After cooking, set the beef strips on some paper towels and leave out of the fridge for about a day. This will drain off most of the excess fat that didn’t drip out while cooking. Be sure to place meat in the fridge after that, though.

This provides an excellent “go anywhere” protein, and you can snack on it throughout the day.

Enjoy!

Mike

Hey Mike…without added salt/preservatives, how long till the jerky goes rancid?..of course in my house it will never last long enough but hey, safety first!

“Too tired to quote”

~ CPK

I usually eat mine within 4 or 5 days, but I don’t know that you could make it and eat it 2 or 3 weeks later…I’m sure someone here would know better than me!