T Nation

Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients

Through trial and error I’ve gotten pretty good but was wondering if there some ingredients I might be missing out on. I know some work better depending on the type of meat being cooked. Heres a list of what I use:

Ketchup
A-1 steak sauce
H-P sauce
Soya sauce
Worcesteshire sauce
Maple syrup(sometimes)
Plum sauce(sometimes)
Mustard(sometimes)
Dry Ingredients

Onion powder
Garlic powder
Thyme
Montreal steak spice
Brown sugar(sometimes)
Cocoa powder(sometimes)
Beef bouillon packet
Chicken bouillon packet

Also, what is the point of reducing and when it’s best to do this.

Thanks and feel free to divuldge secret family recipes…I won’t tell anyone.

Reducing is when you let a liquid stay at a boil and let the water evaporate. It thickens the liquid and concentrates the flavor. It’s best to do it towards the end, if you want a thicker sauce. Just curious, why are you using onion powder and garlic powder instead of just heating some onion and garlic in oil, then retaining the oil and ditching the onion/garlic? It’ll have a richer flavor.

Not that I’d ever make this, it seems like a physique nightmare…

We like that THIN sauce around here. Someone post up a simple vinegar based recipe now!

You want a simple vinegar recipe?

Can of Guinness
Hot Sauce
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Play with the hot sauce and balsamic a little bit at a time until you have the sauce how you like it. From there, try adding garlic, salt, pepper, etc. or whatever else you like. But just those 3 things by themselves end up being a very nice sauce for pulled pork or something.

My latest kick has been marinating chicken in a marinade made from beer and spices, and then slathering on a dry rub of mainly peppery spice, and not much sugar.

1.5c Cider Vinegar
1.5c brown sugar
1.5c ketchup
3tsp chili powder
3/4c Worcestershire sauce
6 tbsp minced onions
3tbsp lemon juice
1.5tsp ground mustard
3tsp ground garlic
3dashes cayenne pepper

I cooked 9lbs of pork shoulder in that yesterday. It was too sweet & I think it would have been better with more vinegar.

OP, does your “homeade” bbq sauce recipe really have A1 as an ingredient?

lol…

Thanks for the ideas…samdan, I will try that next time with the onions and garlic. I’ve done that with a pulled pork recipe before just forgot about it for my own.

Adell, so vinegar is used to tame sweetness?..Those are the kind of tips I was hoping to get.

E99_curt, ya got me, so I cheat a little. Philly fan huh…J.Carter is my next door neighbor lol. Great family.

Chipotle. If you don’t use this in a BBQ sauce, you are missing out. It has a nice smokey flavor and a good kick to go with it (if you don’t like spicey sauces, don’t use it). Just go easy on it. A tablespoon or two is all you need of the adobo sauce that comes in a can of chipotle.

I’ll see if I can find my BBQ sauce recipe and I’ll post it.

Oh, and cinnamon. Believe it or not, it will add a really nice flavor to many BBQ sauces. Start with a dash, taste the sauce, add more as you desire.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
E99_curt, ya got me, so I cheat a little. Philly fan huh…J.Carter is my next door neighbor lol. Great family. [/quote]

figured i’d rib ya. i laughed cuz i do the same thing all the time. i’ll create some elaborate concoction that i will call my own even though a few of the ingredients are clearly not from scratch.

that’s pretty cool about living near the carters. they always show his family in the crowd when the flyers play in toronto.

bjb: while you could say that the sourness of vinegar counters the sweetness, I really meant that separately: 1) it was too sweet 2) I like the taste of vinegar and would have liked more.

I ended up making it a second time with modifications:
MARK II
1c Unpacked Brown Sugar
1c Ketchup
1.15c Cider Vinegar
4tsp chili powder
½c Worcestershire sauce
4T dried minced onions
2T Lemon Juice
And the rest is the same (*(2/3))

I ended up using 6 lbs of some really lean pork loin cut and it turned out too dry. If I made further mods I would use tomato puree instead of ketchup, and not as much vinegar as in mark 2 (proportionally at least).

I think I am going to try Sweet Baby Ray’s, though. lol.