Height 6 ft 3

Squat - 3x5 107.5kg
Deadlift - 1x3 132.5kg
Bench - 3x5 80kg
OHP - 3x5 50kg
Cleans - 3x5 80kg

or something like that

Goals - strength and overall muscle mass

Have been doing starting strength and I feel that squatting 3x a week is taking its toll, so I'm thinking of doing a program with lower intensity.

Workout A:
Squats 3x5
OHP 3x5
Power Cleans 3x5
Chins 3x5

Workout B:
Deadlifts 1x5
Bench Press 3x5
Dips 3x5

Alternate 3 days a week. Thinking of doing front squats every other squat day if it's still too intense. Thoughts?

I think you should sack up and stop adjusting things because they're too hard for you. Why not just do 5/3/1 if you don't want to squat 3 times a week but still want a focus on the compound lifts and strength gain? Also, of all the people on this site with "Waylander" in their screen name, you're the worst.

Starting Strength is a great beginner's program. Just nut up and make sure your form is good. In my oly gym everyone squats 3 or even 4 times a week.

Also, unless you wanna go T-Rex mode, you need to add in Barbell curls and more direct shoulder and back work. 15 chins a week ain't gonna do jack shit.

So yeah, go back to SS, add in more assistance work and forget about this crap AB work-out you outlined.

Considering 5/3/1, but it's too complicated for me at the stage I'm at and requires more commitment than I can give and I would prefer something simple and easy to remember. I agree SS is a great beginner program, but I feel it has run its course for me after nutting and sacking it up for the past year and a bit. I feel it's much more volume than what my body needs, and I have found that I'm responding well to less intense training with a greater focus on diet. So this is me adapting a training program to what I think is best for my physiology and trying something new.

So explain why this program is crap, and I have no fear of going T-Rex mode.

Also, of all the people on this site with "JaseHxC" in their screen name, you're the one who makes me feel like I'm the only girl in the world.

I think I just audibly derped and drooled all over my keyboard.
I would have given you constructive advice, but if you feel like the simplest and most effective training system for raw power is too complicated and demands too much commitment apparently, then you are beyond help.
At 19 yrs old, you have soooo much better stuff to do than dragging your ass to the gym, even for 5/3/1 on it's 1x or 2x-week template? It's too [i] COMPLICATED [/i] for you?

I mad, oh so mad.

Regarding your outlined AB crap, it doesn't have enough volume to stimulate strength or size gains. It leaves large muscle-groups unstimulated.

But I see you've already made up your mind and are just looking for validation.

My honest advice is: Look for a different hobby. This lifting thing is obviously not for you. Play basketball, go wake-boarding, do whatever you like. It's not like you HAVE to lift.

Alright, let's not get jelly here. I of all people know just how worked up people can get over their beloved training programs. It's not complicated. I just can't be bothered to work out percentages and would rather keep all bureaucracy to a minimum by sticking to something I find simple, enjoyable and suited for my fucked up alcohol binging lifestyle. So yeah, let's forget about 5/3/1 for a second and try to calm our boners before we accidently jizz into each others eyes.

My Program. What is wrong with it?

Thanks for the critique, I'll report back to you how it fairs buddy. Check out my training log which i'll start again this week to see whether this type of program will be effective.

If its not, then I'll scrap it and do 5/3/1. I just want to try something different, just not radically different from SS.

Those percentages take all of 5 minutes to calculate and after your first cycle, you're only adding weight to those calculated numbers. Keep a notepad and take it with you to the gym. I know the layout can look rather difficult at first, but Wendler doesn't call it the simplest program just for shits and giggles. You're able to progress and go for new PR's (strength and reps) every week if you so please, or if you're having an off day, bust out the desired reps.

My critique of your proposed program was basically stated by Anabol, so I want waste any more of your time. Seriously though, I think you're setting the bar really low for yourself by following it.

Cheers for a more sympathetic eye. And I can see how 5/3/1 is simple, but seeing as I am now on the last term of freshers year at university, things are going to be pretty nuts as I want to make the most of the partying before the real work starts, thus my inclination towards a program that does not require as much committment and will allow steady gains despite having to work out hungover most of the time. Hardcore committed training and freshers year strangely don't seem to mix too well, which is why I have found that reduced volume has been working better, if simply just to keep me sane. Don't take it as me lacking balls, or not being interesting in weight training, as I have already proven to myself that I both have balls and am greatly interested.

Yes I will try 5/3/1 in the near future, but as a temp program I want to try something like this. If only for the sake of trying to find out what my body responds well to.

So you say more volume? In that case, would 3x5 deadlifts be more fitting?

Waylander I have never heard so much rubbish in my life in regards to being a fresher. I am a fresher as well and I have no problem getting to the gym 5 times a week even with a course which often has 20+ hours a week (I know not a lot compared to people with real jobs but pretty heavy for a student). There is a simple way to not have to workout hungover and that is get this......don't drink as much / spread it out more ! If you do want to keep drinking heavily for the rest of the term do your workout during the day you're going to go out, this way you don't have to workout with a hangover. In regards to your program it's all right, maybe add 3x5 front squats to workout B. I personally think it would be better for you to shift the exercises to have an upper body and lower body split and do a workout every 2 days or do 5/3/1.

I would just like to say thank you for making me feel better about myself. I was feeling like a lazy asshole so I came here to find something to make my lifts better and reading your post made me realize i'm not doing too bad. I've been doing 5/3/1 for over a year with the deadlift, back squat, military press, and floor press. I also have soccer practice 3 times a week, go to school full time, and work part time. I'm also a girl, and I can do those difficult percentages in a matter of a few seconds. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but 5/3/1 really works, might be worth a shot.

OP wants to complain and wants it to be easy/simple. You will never build an impressive physique because it is neither easy nor simple. It takes lots of hard work and dedication (neither of which you seem inclined to devote to lifting)

I would just like to say thank you for making me feel better about myself. I was feeling like a lazy asshole so I came here to find something to make my lifts better and reading your post made me realize i'm not doing too bad. I've been doing 5/3/1 for over a year with the deadlift, back squat, military press, and floor press. I also have soccer practice 3 times a week, go to school full time, and work part time. I'm also a girl, and I can do those difficult percentages in a matter of a few seconds. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but 5/3/1 really works, might be worth a shot.

Boom Roasted!

Welcome Auburn Addiction. You seem like you'll be a valuable member here :slight_smile:

Well thanks, I haven't been on T-Nation in quite a while, I've been crazy busy wth life and happy with my lifts, but now i'm looking to step things up, maybe change my training, gear it more towards soccer, but I have seperation anxiety when I think about not doing 5/3/1. lol anyway I live in a town where no one gives a shit about any of this and I find myself neededing some T-Nation insperation.

Not complaining or looking for a shortcut. Just experimenting with something suited for myself, not anyone else.

But hey, feel free to see if I'm all talk and no walk by checking my training log over the next few months.

@Gregron, we still have a duel that needs to go down but I'm afraid I don't have much of a shot based on the guns you're bringing to the table.

@Auburn, as I posted in the thread you started, welcome and now that you've insulted one of our lazier members be prepared to be ribbed by everyone else. But do not be afraid, it is only because we love you and you to succeed. I'll start, you have girl arms...

If you wanna drink, workout a couple times a week, and not even worry about progressing in weights (since you don't want to run a quick calculation) that's fine, but you're not going to see any results, that's why you're not getting honest feedback.

Now, go prove us wrong.