Homebrew Without Heat?

No, same thing.

I had thought your statement was in reference to how far off he was in terms of the size of the pores in the filter: 0.22 um (correct) vs 22 um (his belief.) In which case that is 100 times.

It looks now as if you meant relative to the bacteria. For which 10 times would be a ballpark figure for most bacteria, but no exact value is possible of course.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
winkroar3 wrote:
Well then if they are 2-5 Microns then they would pass through a 22 micron filter.

“…I didn’t realise that you were not even aware that it’s actually 0.22um,…” “When you said ‘22 micron’”

You are out by a factor of 10.

BBB[/quote]

0.22um x 100 = 22um.
0.22um x 10 = 2.2um.

He was out by a factor of 100.

How? How is 22um 10 times larger than 0.22um?

Oh… a factor of 10 IS 100x… i get it! Sorry :wink:

pretty entertaining thread (decimals review notwithstanding)

1 Like

Zinterhauss,
Do you have a private bedroom? Try a hotplate. It works great.

winkroar3,
Bill Roberts and BBB are two authorities on steroids in general and specifically home-brewing.
Sorry to tell you, but if you disagree with both of them, you are wrong.

I never argued that they had experience, they are however arrogant, pompous lunatics.

winkroar3 wrote:
they are however arrogant, pompous lunatics.

Hahaha, I bet that’s what you thought about your teachers at school too. Or in fact anyone who calls you out when you get it wrong.

Insecure little man.

BBB[/quote]

Largely unrelated anecdote:

My graduate professor once told me that I had “the correct degree of arrogance for s scientist.” Now I was puzzled by his remark as I don’t consider myself arrogant at all. However he explained it this way: it takes a degree of arrogance to be able to recognize when others are wrong and to have the self-confidence to work on the assumption that one may be right, though other experts say differently, and to go and put forth proof that one is right and they are wrong, if that is the case. But on the other hand, with too much arrogance one doesn’t recognize when one is wrong oneself. In that context, I had the correct degree of arrogance.

As for “pompous” and “lunatic” though, those are in Wink’s own mind, due, I would agree, to his own insecurity and inability to handle being told he is wrong.

No loss having him on the Ignore list, that’s for sure. I would recommend it to all.

I joined up to that particular group yesterday :wink:

Wrong about what, the .22 filter. You guys keep bringing it up. And please keep me on your ignore list.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

it takes a degree of arrogance to be able to recognize when others are wrong and to have the self-confidence to work on the assumption that one may be right, though other experts say differently, and to go and put forth proof that one is right and they are wrong, if that is the case.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t call that arrogance.
That’s conviction.
It may however be interpreted as a degree of arrogance by those lacking a sufficient degree of security and value.

I agree: that also is how I use words.

However my professor was (of course) an educated man, so I have come to accept that that the term can be used in the way that he meant. But I do think, as you say, that conviction is the more accurate term.

Mind you, it takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong. Some people just cannot.
[/quote]

Some people just doubt.
Doubt is the antithesis of conviction.
Conviction is in direct contact with courage.
Courage is what it takes to admit when one is wrong.
Being wrong doesn’t make a man small.

Doubt and anxiety are the twin monsters eating away at one’s true size.

I didn’t mean to interfere but this theme is close to my heart!

; )

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Mind you, it takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong. Some people just cannot.

Some people just doubt.
Doubt is the antithesis of conviction.
Conviction is in direct contact with courage.
Courage is what it takes to admit when one is wrong.
Being wrong doesn’t make a man small.

Doubt and anxiety are the twin monsters eating away at one’s true size.

I didn’t mean to interfere but this theme is close to my heart!

; )

[/quote]

Good lass. Nice post :wink:

[quote]DRG wrote:
Zinterhauss,
Do you have a private bedroom? Try a hotplate. It works great.
[/quote]

Yeah, good idea. I just didn’t realize how cheap hotplates were. Thanks!