T Nation

HomeBrew? Buying Lab Equipment?

The Feds are watching. When people buy large amounts of scales and lab equipment, they are automatically alerted, even if the person is buying used stuff off e-bay.

In this case, they found someone buying lab equipment, and set up survailance on them almost immediately. Thre people were making and selling Ecstacy…but the same criteria would apply for figuring out who was buying equipment for manufacturing steroids.

Vial Crimpers, Capping machines, etc…will all probably put you on a federal watch list- if this story is any indication. And the way the statute reads in most states is that if you are manufacturing anything, it’s automatically intent to distribute.

So making your own AAS is probably a bad idea, regardless of how much money you save (in the USA at least).

Here’s how they used the simple purchase of lab equipment (and no other information) to bust an ecstasy ring:

Damnit… I always enjoyed chem classes too.

Holy hell!!!

That guy had a HUGE shopping list. How could he have imagined it would go unnoticed?

Seems that everything was purchased on E-bay - which should be a crime to use anyhow. He even bought his chems on E-bay.

It looks as if he was not a homebrewer, but setting up a UG X lab judging from the type of equipment he bought.

There is risk involved, but you can get set up to homebrew by visiting the local Walmart, and getting a decent scale.

This will greatly minimize your exposure risk. If you are into capping - why buy a “motorized tablet press”? You can buy hand cappers. Mutilple thermometers? If you are a homebrewer, why would you need more than one?

I agree its a risk, but there is a big difference between a small amount of supplies needed for home brews and the serious machinery and chemicals this fellow was purchasing.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
I agree its a risk, but there is a big difference between a small amount of supplies needed for home brews and the serious machinery and chemicals this fellow was purchasing.

[/quote]

If you’re “making” steroids, then the law sees no distinction between you and any UG, as it’s been explained to me.

It’s also similar to importing, since the law sees it as “there is now a drug existing where there was none previously”- and you are to blame. Don’t quote me, but I believe they can therefore automatically ask for distribution to be added to the list of charges, if you are capping it yourself and bottling it yourself.

The reason for that is that the law is looking at it like “Who would be bagging up weed and coke?” clearly the dealer is doing that, not the buyer, and in this case, insofar as I understand it, they can apply the same reasoning and statutes.

They don’t even get the name of the chemical process right in the affidavit. It should be "Wacker Oxidation’ not ‘Whacker’. Morons.

Love,

Mr. Pedant

I’m not in favor of big government stepping in anywhere usually…But I can understand where this is coming from. I work with troubled adolescents and Meth Labs are fast becoming very popular in not only rural areas as in the past, but urban areas as well. The problem with Meth Labs is that the people who are cooking it don’t know what they’re doing in the least. Plus, they usually have small children around…then KABOOM…they blow half the neighborhood up. So, in this case, I feel the end might justify the means.

[quote]Anthony Roberts wrote:
maxx power wrote:
I agree its a risk, but there is a big difference between a small amount of supplies needed for home brews and the serious machinery and chemicals this fellow was purchasing.

If you’re “making” steroids, then the law sees no distinction between you and any UG, as it’s been explained to me.

It’s also similar to importing, since the law sees it as “there is now a drug existing where there was none previously”- and you are to blame. Don’t quote me, but I believe they can therefore automatically ask for distribution to be added to the list of charges, if you are capping it yourself and bottling it yourself.

The reason for that is that the law is looking at it like “Who would be bagging up weed and coke?” clearly the dealer is doing that, not the buyer, and in this case, insofar as I understand it, they can apply the same reasoning and statutes.
[/quote]

They can add anything they want to the charges if you get busted for possesion of illegal substance. Proving it is what the courts are for.

The point here is that the guy was a total dumbass for openly buying crap like that on E-Bay. Homebrewers - real homebrewers would never need the type of equipment this numb-nuts was purchasing.

In addition to that - he bought his chems at E-Bay as well - if I read the article right.

There is no denying that if a homebrewer gets busted - he is busted. Minimizing your risk by being smart about what you do is your only real hedge.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I’m not in favor of big government stepping in anywhere usually… [/quote]

This is the bad thing about governments: its their mentality that collapses all “drugs” into one perspective. There are dangerous drugs out there that destroy communities and lives (like meth, crack,etc.), but then there are inoquous susbtances like steroids (or weed) which unfortunetly end up on the recieving end of the same agressive drug policy. Its too bad they just dont deliniate between addictive and non-addicitve drugs.

hotplates, stirrers, high grade precision scales, tablet presses, evaporators, filtration units, tablet counters, packaging machines… large quantities of powders, solvents, oils…the average homebrewer making AAS for personal use does not require ANY of these items. a UG lab or large scale brewing OP…sure…but not a guy cranking out a few bottles every year. of course, thats not saying there isn’t any risk associated with brewing for personal use…however, it is just much easier to be discreet when working on a scale many many many times smaller than what was presented in that article.

[quote]juice20jd wrote:
hotplates, stirrers, high grade precision scales, tablet presses, evaporators, filtration units, tablet counters, packaging machines… large quantities of powders, solvents, oils…the average homebrewer making AAS for personal use does not require ANY of these items. a UG lab or large scale brewing OP…sure…but not a guy cranking out a few bottles every year. of course, thats not saying there isn’t any risk associated with brewing for personal use…however, it is just much easier to be discreet when working on a scale many many many times smaller than what was presented in that article.[/quote]

That’s what I was trying to say, juice. You are just better at it than I am.