Home Work Out

[quote]confusion wrote:
as far as back and biceps go(and probably shoulders),there isn’t much better than pullups. Palms facing you,8" apart or so,can build a big back and biceps. This also takes the lats thru the greatest range of motion amd works the biceps.from both ends. you’re gonna have trouble working your chest. IMO,pushups will not do much to build chest. If so,every guy/gal that is in the military will have big pecs. Is there a way you can do dips? This will at least build the lower chest. To build the upper chest you will need an incline press or even a military press,leaning back…good luck[/quote]

I just got a dip station made! so that will be great along with banded push ups for chest

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Tons of good ideas here…

‘Jailhouse Strong’ by Josh Bryant also a fantastic resource[/quote]

Thank you for the great articles, i will be sure to incorporate some of that in to my training![/quote]

Not sure if you looked through the articles.
Unless you plan on getting an atlas stone, a pool, a track, and olympic rings

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

Thank you for the great articles, i will be sure to incorporate some of that in to my training![/quote]

Unless you plan on getting an atlas stone, a pool, a track, and olympic rings[/quote]
Did you read through the articles yourself? There was definitely more to it than that, such as the Central America section of the 2nd article.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

Unless you plan on getting an atlas stone, a pool, a track, and olympic rings[/quote]
Did you read through the articles yourself? There was definitely more to it than that, such as the Central America section of the 2nd article.[/quote]

Of course i can’t simply get a track pool and olympic rings but the idea was to be creative with what i have and make the best of it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

Did you read through the articles yourself? There was definitely more to it than that, such as the Central America section of the 2nd article.[/quote]

you mean the shortest section in both articles? And that also requires a log? I mean, I guess he could do the goblets with the KB, but really?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

Of course i can’t simply get a track pool and olympic rings but the idea was to be creative with what i have and make the best of it.[/quote]

Exactly, the take home message is that if you use a little lateral thinking, even in the asshole end of nowhere its possible to get a decent workout .

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

Of course i can’t simply get a track pool and olympic rings but the idea was to be creative with what i have and make the best of it.[/quote]

Exactly. The take home message is that even in the asshole end of nowhere with less than favourable training conditions its possible to get a decent workout in.

Also re pushups: with strict form and really focusing on tension, slow negatives etc you can get some good chest stimulation…

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

you mean the shortest section in both articles? And that also requires a log? I mean, I guess he could do the goblets with the KB, but really?
[/quote]
As far as ideas, and “how to approach training when you don’t have the equipment”, yeah, I think both articles were great.

As far as “just do this”, you’re right, neither of those articles really gave a prescriptive solution for exactly what he should do with the equipment he has. But that wasn’t their point.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

Tons of good ideas here…

[/quote]
As far as ideas, and “how to approach training when you don’t have the equipment”, yeah, I think both articles were great.

As far as “just do this”, you’re right, neither of those articles really gave a prescriptive solution for exactly what he should do with the equipment he has. But that wasn’t their point.[/quote]

C’mon dude, you know I’m the last person to denounce out of the box training.
And of course there was more to the article than the workouts listed, but really?

Also re pushups: with strict form and really focusing on tension, slow negatives etc you can get some good chest stimulation…
[/quote]
Things like paused pushups and deficit pushups (hands on two books or blocks) work the chest pretty well.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
C’mon dude, you know I’m the last person to denounce out of the box training.
And of course there was more to the article than the workouts listed, but really?[/quote]
You’re right, which is why I didn’t understand your response.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
as far as back and biceps go(and probably shoulders),there isn’t much better than pullups.[/quote]

I was in the military. We did pull ups all the time. Didn’t get big backs, biceps and shoulders either without other forms of resistance training.
[/quote]

To back up dt79, I used to do insane amounts of pull-ups. Weighted, unweighted, wide grip, narrow grip, etc. I can confidently say they are far from the best bicep builder, although still one of the best exercises out there.
[/quote]

Well, as with all bodyweight exercises or even compound exercises, everyone’s mileage varies.

Someone at a lighter bodyweight would have trouble building muscle with pull ups and push ups without attaching external weights to himself. A lot of us former skinny guys could easily do more than 20 reps for pull ups.

Also, longer limbed individuals may not get the same benefit of compound exercises for arms as a shorter limbed individual.[/quote]

Yep. Another veteran here who was pretty light while on active duty. I could do 20+ pull-ups for years and it did not result in a large back.

Sorry confusion, you’re just plain wrong and I love pull-up. I still do them all the time albeit with less reps.

The only exception I can think of is gymnasts who have incredible biceps development while pretty much exclusively training with their BW.

how about this? I should have said ,add weight after you can do 12. What other options does the guy.have? How else will he build his back and biceps with the items he listed? Its easy.to get caught up in critiquing other’s advice and not reading the entire thread…

The only exception I can think of is gymnasts who have incredible biceps development while pretty much exclusively training with their BW.

And they have a great V taper also,ie.back and shoulders. guess what else they.do boys and girls? Is it pushups to get that big chest and triceps???No, Its Dips!!! So,there we have it. A guy who wants to train at home with limited equipment and some good answers.

[quote]confusion wrote:

And they have a great V taper also,ie.back and shoulders. guess what else they.do boys and girls? Is it pushups to get that big chest and triceps???No, Its Dips!!! So,there we have it. A guy who wants to train at home with limited equipment and some good answers. [/quote]

Alright alright you win.

usmccds423 and I, despite being from different countries, were both sworn to secrecy by our respective governments on the ability of bodyweight pull ups to build incredible biceps, shoulders and lats. You figured it out. There’s an international military conspiracy going on.

Our lats are so wide from all the bodyweight pull ups we’ve done, we can actually fly. If you want proof, you’re not going to get it because we would have to kill you.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

And they have a great V taper also,ie.back and shoulders. guess what else they.do boys and girls? Is it pushups to get that big chest and triceps???No, Its Dips!!! So,there we have it. A guy who wants to train at home with limited equipment and some good answers. [/quote]

Alright alright you win.

usmccds423 and I, despite being from different countries, were both sworn to secrecy by our respective governments on the ability of bodyweight pull ups to build incredible biceps, shoulders and lats. You figured it out. There’s an international military conspiracy going on.

Our lats are so wide from all the bodyweight pull ups we’ve done, we can actually fly. If you want proof, you’re not going to get it because we would have to kill you. [/quote]

lol. Clever and funny. I like that sort of humor. I actually stole that quote about pullups from Mike Mentzer but he said lat pulldowns,I figured its the same motion,so…anyhoo,in all seriousness,how would you answer the OP question?

I think with the gymnast example, we have to keep in mind that people are generally thinking of olympic level gymnasts when referencing great development. We’re talking about genetically amazing specimens spending decades of intense daily (and usually multiple times a day) training. That will definitely get results, but it’s not fair to say that it means the movements are the answer. If those same gymnasts spent that amount of time/effort dedicated to bodybuilding, they’d probably be olympia level.

I still think dips and chins are some of the most awesome upper body movements you can do, but just want to keep things in perspective.

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

Alright alright you win.

Our lats are so wide from all the bodyweight pull ups we’ve done, we can actually fly. If you want proof, you’re not going to get it because we would have to kill you. [/quote]

lol. Clever and funny. I like that sort of humor. I actually stole that quote about pullups from Mike Mentzer but he said lat pulldowns,I figured its the same motion,so…anyhoo,in all seriousness,how would you answer the OP question? [/quote]

Lol.

Regarding the OP’s situation, I would just tell him to do pull ups, push ups and dips, weighted or using some other way to increase resistance if necessary.

If he can get to the point where he’s doing pull-ups with a heavy bag attached to him, I do actually think he’ll have decent back development.

He has enough equipment that if he can find a way to scale the intensities over time he can get something out of it, e.g., pullups against bands, pullups with dumbbells, pullups with the kettlebell, kettlebells + dumbells, kettlebells + dumbbells + med ball, etc.

But pure bodyweight exercises don’t accomplish too much after a point, unless you add resistance. Once you’re able to do 30 or so consecutive pushups, you’re not going to get much more out of them.