Home Repair

Anybody have any rec.'s on some good books or shows on home improvement.

I really want to do some basic work on my house but have very little knowledge on how to do it?

I’d go to the library and get out a few books. There are basically two types of books: specific and general. General books are interesting reads, and good for simple projects, but not always detailed enough. Specific books are about stuff like plumbing, roofing, drywall, ect.

Honestly, most stuff is not that hard. It just requires time, tools and perseverance. I dove into completely remodeling my bathroom, and it came out great.

got_beer?

[quote]orangecola wrote:
Anybody have any rec.'s on some good books or shows on home improvement. I really want to do some basic work on my house but have very little knowledge on how to do it?[/quote]

HomeDepot has a lot of books. They even host day seminars on how to do home repairs, improvements and gardening. They usually post a monthly schedule. I do most things around the house and if need be I search the internet. I don’t mess with electrical stuff though, unless you count mounting ceiling fans or changing light bulbs.

Good luck!

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:
orangecola wrote:
Anybody have any rec.'s on some good books or shows on home improvement. I really want to do some basic work on my house but have very little knowledge on how to do it?

HomeDepot has a lot of books. They even host day seminars on how to do home repairs, improvements and gardening. They usually post a monthly schedule. I do most things around the house and if need be I search the internet. I don’t mess with electrical stuff though, unless you count mounting ceiling fans or changing light bulbs.

Good luck![/quote]

Those Home Depot books are made for the weekend repairman and are easy to follow. I also like the classes. I did my lawn sprinklers after taking the HD class. Their Garden/Landscaping classes are also very good and fun to take.

eHow.com might help, though the instructions are usually not very detailed.

http://www.ehow.com/center_12.html

Awesome!
thank you very much!

Check out “Fine Homebuilding” magazine. It’s not cheap, but it has a wealth of information. It appears to be written by professionals that are very well experienced in their trade.